Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > THE GAME - promo semi-sphere mirror

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Dec 07, 22:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In 1980, aged 14, I recall walking into my local record store and seeing a FABULOUS (out of this world is NOT too strong a phrase) promotional mirror up on the wall. It was the most amazingly original promo item I'd ever seen for any band's product.

It is perhaps best described (for those who have never seen it) as half a sphere (semi-sphere or hemi-sphere???) with the the flat surface attached to the wall and the rounded (half ball) mirror section viewable in the shop like one of those mirrors you see on country roads, at dangerous bends, so that the people who live there can see around the corner. You know what I mean, right?

At fan club conventions, Barbara Byng (who does a market stall) has one of these hanging up... but it's in appalling condition. Many of you will probably have seen it. This is one of only two I know of today.

Anyway... I'd love to know who has one of these things. My guess is that they must be rarer than the NOTW robot, because I have seen 5 or 6 robots in my time, but ONLY the B.Byng GAME mirror and the one in the shop.

Who has them???? Are there are great quality photos of any anywhere????????

I want to feature this in the I WANT IT ALL! book, of course, and though BM does not have one, I'm sure I know where we can borrow one.

Even so... what do you guys/gals know about this wonderful item?

Thanks


GB
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Dec 07, 10:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds like a great item. Never seen it. Are you also interested in promo posters?


Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Dec 07, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have one, sent you a pic of it when the request went out for pics for the IWIA book.

Mine is in better nick, although doesn't have the cardboard backing.

And in the last couple of years it has gained a 3 inch tear....which I was a bit cross about

djcamper user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Dec 07, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can you post a pic for us please, Guru ?

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

New pic

http://i8.tinypic.com/6ya2ah0.jpg



Nice item!
Thanks for the picture!

Is that Breakthru promo poster on your wall for sale? (mrducksoup@hotmail.com)



Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nifty! Don't think I've seen one before. Where did you manage to find it, PG?

You need to clean that room, young man. ;-)

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a bit of a dumping ground, I agree.

No, the poster is not for sale.

I've had it since about 1990 - I was regularly in my local independent record shop when not at college & ended up getting quite chatty with the staff, the eldest of whom had been running various shops for years. Anyway, one day he says he has something I might be interested in, and brings this out. He wanted £20 which I was quite happy with - he may well have said that there had been a backing card originally, or that mihgt be my memory filling in the blanks having seen Barbara B's.

I did look a tit carrying it home on the bus though...

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:



No, the poster is not for sale.


OK. Pity! Nice item as well...!

Penetration_Guru wrote:



I've had it since about 1990 - I was regularly in my local independent record shop when not at college & ended up getting quite chatty with the staff, the eldest of whom had been running various shops for years. Anyway, one day he says he has something I might be interested in, and brings this out. He wanted £20 which I was quite happy with - he may well have said that there had been a backing card originally, or that mihgt be my memory filling in the blanks having seen Barbara B's.

I did look a tit carrying it home on the bus though...


nice story...!

Jeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

Penetration_Guru wrote:



No, the poster is not for sale.


OK. Pity! Nice item as well...!

Penetration_Guru wrote:



I've had it since about 1990 - I was regularly in my local independent record shop when not at college & ended up getting quite chatty with the staff, the eldest of whom had been running various shops for years. Anyway, one day he says he has something I might be interested in, and brings this out. He wanted £20 which I was quite happy with - he may well have said that there had been a backing card originally, or that mihgt be my memory filling in the blanks having seen Barbara B's.

I did look a tit carrying it home on the bus though...


nice story...!

Ey! Ga nou onderhand s studeren! ;-)


Roger AAAAAHHHH!
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3039 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Dec 07, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeroen wrote:

Ducksoup wrote:

Penetration_Guru wrote:



No, the poster is not for sale.


OK. Pity! Nice item as well...!

Penetration_Guru wrote:



I've had it since about 1990 - I was regularly in my local independent record shop when not at college & ended up getting quite chatty with the staff, the eldest of whom had been running various shops for years. Anyway, one day he says he has something I might be interested in, and brings this out. He wanted £20 which I was quite happy with - he may well have said that there had been a backing card originally, or that mihgt be my memory filling in the blanks having seen Barbara B's.

I did look a tit carrying it home on the bus though...


nice story...!

Ey! Ga nou onderhand s studeren! ;-)


I have a similar Breakthru promo psoter (plus ones for all the other singels from The Miracle), and came about them in a similar way - my local independent record store used to have the posters and stand up displays in the window; I'd go in as soon as they put them up and ask if I could have them once they were taken down, and so they would always reserve it for me, and I'd get them for free as they would only bin them!

iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Dec 07, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goodness if there was only a store that had that for sale
and erin and the eagle walk in at the same time

i wonder who would end up getting it? *evil grin*


i have never seen that promo mirror before-- i am jealous...i want one! :-))


i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 07, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

iron eagle wrote:

goodness if there was only a store that had that for sale
and erin and the eagle walk in at the same time

i wonder who would end up getting it? *evil grin*


LOL! Oh, I would get it. Trust me...;-)
I bet Atlanta has lots of cool record stores. Surely, you must have lucked up and found rare Queen items in one of them. That Chicago store kicked ass! I bought at least 3 12" promos in there for hardly anything. Of course, you walked away with the prize. LOL

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Dec 07, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I found the original pic I had..

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6wnedll&s=1

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts
add to buddy list send PM

DavidRFuller user not visiting Queenzone.com
DavidRFuller
Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM