Forums > Personal > Nevermore -- what do these lyrics mean?

forum rss feed
Author

Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Dec 07, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just heard this song. It's a beautiful song and so sad.
What exactly is the "path of nevermore" in this song?
Just curious to hear other's ideas or viewpoint.
Nevermore is the title of one of Edgar Allen Poe's essays.


saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 19:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is a gorgeous piece of music. So tragic and beautiful. As to the meaning, well it does seem to be a song about a break-up but there is one shift during the lyrics;
- most of them are through the eyes of one person eg 'there's no living in *my* life' 'don't send me to the path of nevermore' etc but it also includes the line 'please don't YOU cry anymore' Perhaps it means that neither want to truly break up, but they have to.
I guess the 'path to nevermore' means things will never be the same again.
I suppose something autobiographical could have been in it, or perhaps Poe's essay was an influence. What's the content of it?

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 20:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm. And "quothe the raven: Nevermore." Also Poe.


"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always thought of Nevermore as a companion piece to Lily of the Valley, which Brian says was Freddie's attempt to tell Mary Austin that he couldn't be with her physically anymore. Perhaps the lyrics reflect Freddie's homosexuality becoming more prevalent. And that's not being a smart ass BTW.


You know, good times are now.
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting stuff..



saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 21:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Boy Thomas Raker wrote:

I've always thought of Nevermore as a companion piece to Lily of the Valley, which Brian says was Freddie's attempt to tell Mary Austin that he couldn't be with her physically anymore. Perhaps the lyrics reflect Freddie's homosexuality becoming more prevalent. And that's not being a smart ass BTW.



That seems a very plausible theory. I'm sure the complexity of his relationship with her must have carried over into his songwriting. The Sheer Heart Attack album may well contain a few confessional pieces from him. 'Lily of the Valley' and possibly 'In the Lap of the Gods' for Mary and perhaps 'In the Lap of the Gods-Revisited' for his parents and others who were warning him against the perils of pursuing a career in the rock world.

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 07, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never noticed the lyrics contradicted themselves so bad. XD


-Things Have Changed For Me-
Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Dec 07, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Boy Thomas Raker wrote:

I've always thought of Nevermore as a companion piece to Lily of the Valley, which Brian says was Freddie's attempt to tell Mary Austin that he couldn't be with her physically anymore.


I never thought of it!
In Lily of the Valley, a line says
>>>>messenger from seven seas has flown
to tell the king of Rhye he's lost his throne<<<

Now I wonder what this means?
It's killing me I MUST KNOW NOW!

My guess it is a metaphor for someone who has lost their place to someone else.....it could be a metaphor for Freddie being impotent and he can never have kids. It could be alot of things.
But of course if Freddie was impotent, he would not want the whole world to know. He would try to keep it a secret.




Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Dec 07, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

beautifulsoup wrote:

Hmm. And "quothe the raven: Nevermore." Also Poe.


ohhhhh that's it. See, I was maybe five years old the last time I heard that poem. I always just thought it was called Nevermore.

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Dec 07, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stoner wrote:


I never thought of it!
In Lily of the Valley, a line says
>>>>messenger from seven seas has flown
to tell the king of Rhye he's lost his throne<<<

Now I wonder what this means?
It's killing me I MUST KNOW NOW!

My guess it is a metaphor for someone who has lost their place to someone else.....it could be a metaphor for Freddie being impotent and he can never have kids. It could be alot of things.
But of course if Freddie was impotent, he would not want the whole world to know. He would try to keep it a secret.


Well, that's a theory I hadn't considered! As you said, I doubt he'd have told the whole world even in a metaphor!
However, I think these lines;

'I lie in wait with open eyes
I carry on through stormy skies
I follow every course'

could be interpreted as him just going through the motions although his heart wasn't in it. The beauty of these songs is kind of heartbreaking when you consider the inner turmoil he must have been going through.
One thing I noticed, and it's not meant as a criticism but, his songwriting seemed to lose a little of its complex beauty once his personal issues were resolved. Perhaps the release allowed him to write with more fun and abandonment but it also meant that his songs lost some of their delicate imagery;

eg Lily of the Valley--->Get Down Make Love---->Don't Stop Me Now---->Body Language



Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Dec 07, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

saltnvinegar wrote: [/QUOTENAMEOne thing I noticed, and it's not meant as a criticism but, his songwriting seemed to lose a little of its complex beauty once his personal issues were resolved. Perhaps the release allowed him to write with more fun and abandonment but it also meant that his songs lost some of their delicate imagery;

eg Lily of the Valley--->Get Down Make Love---->Don't Stop Me Now---->Body Language



You are right there. I never thought about it but yes! It just goes to show you that things of beauty come from a tortured mind because.....the deeper the secrets, the more the person is forced to speak with subtle hints and "delicate imagery" as you call it. I don't know that's just a theory of mine.


Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Dec 07, 23:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And I have just wondered about this, it's just a thought so don't everyone go jumping all over me because I expressed it!
I wonder if Mary really left him because he was 'gay'? Maybe that was just a cover up on her part and Freddie never really admitted that to her?
Once again this is just a thought so everyone just keeep caaaaaaalm..........
Maybe she wanted kids and Freddie couldn't have kids. Not because he was 'gay' but because he was impotent?
You can have a successful sexual relationship and still be impotent.
I've thought of a few other things but I won't expound until I've sufficiently tested the waters here. HEHE :D

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 07, 03:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stoner wrote:

And I have just wondered about this, it's just a thought so don't everyone go jumping all over me because I expressed it!
I wonder if Mary really left him because he was 'gay'? Maybe that was just a cover up on her part and Freddie never really admitted that to her?
Once again this is just a thought so everyone just keeep caaaaaaalm..........
Maybe she wanted kids and Freddie couldn't have kids. Not because he was 'gay' but because he was impotent?
You can have a successful sexual relationship and still be impotent.
I've thought of a few other things but I won't expound until I've sufficiently tested the waters here. HEHE :D


Yes, I think people may react badly to your theory. I'm not going to freak out cos you're entitled to share your ideas-that's why it's a forum, right?!
However, I'm going to have to disagree with you-for one thing, they were together for about 7 years-I kind of doubt they just held hands and went for romantic walks the entire time-I wouldn't have if I'd been Mary ;)
I think a lot of guys don't want to become fathers when they're younger especially when they're trying to make it as a rock star. It was just the wrong time and place, kind of a shame cos a Freddie Jr may have inherited some of his father's talent-or then again, he may have been tone deaf with no musical skills at all!

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 07, 07:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's about AIDS.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Dec 07, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is not about AIDS. God I hate the word AIDS.
It sounds so gross.


Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Dec 07, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry about that

Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Dec 07, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Black Cat was such a wonderful book


I'm sick of all my kicks.