Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Fairy King

forum rss feed
Author

Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Dec 07, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"teeth don't shine like pearl's for poor man's eyes" ??

Is this an obscure reference to Freddie's parent's not getting his teeth fixed when he was a child?
It kind of sounds this way when you put it together with the line before that which says "seasons fly no helping hand"



nationofhaircuts44 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Dec 07, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Boy that is obscure, but no more or less valid than any other interpretation!!

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Dec 07, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

weird notion, but i think i may have found where freddie got his inspiration

barbecue blues (1927):
i know i ain't god looking - teeth don't shine like pearls
i ain't good looking - teeth don't shine like pearls
so glad looks don't take oyu through this world

the cat's got measles and dog's got whoping cough: (1929):
. Oh, the cat's got the measles,
And the dog got the whoopin' cough, doggone.
Oh, the cat's got the measles,
And the dog got the whoopin' cough.
Doggone a man
Who'd let a woman be his boss,
Doggone my time.

2. Thought I heard a rockin'
Deep down in the ground, doggone.
I thought I heard a rockin'
Deep down in the ground.
It must have been the devil
A-chainin' my good gal down,
Doggone my time.

3. I ain't good lookin'
And my teeth don't shine like pearls, doggone.
I ain't good lookin'
And my teeth don't shine like pearls,
But I've got what it takes
To carry me through this cockeyed world,
Doggone my time.





go deo na hÉireann
Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Dec 07, 00:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

weird notion, but i think i may have found where freddie got his inspiration

barbecue blues (1927):
i know i ain't god looking - teeth don't shine like pearls
i ain't good looking - teeth don't shine like pearls
so glad looks don't take oyu through this world


That's nice, but the first and last part doesn't apply. He may have gotten the specific phrase "teeth don't shine....." from this song, but that's it.
Besides, I was looking at the whole tone of the song My Fairy King. And these lyrics you just quoted here don't fit.
It's like saying Freddie drove by a Mercury car dealership and decided his last name would be Mercury.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Dec 07, 03:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stoner wrote:

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

weird notion, but i think i may have found where freddie got his inspiration

barbecue blues (1927):
i know i ain't god looking - teeth don't shine like pearls
i ain't good looking - teeth don't shine like pearls
so glad looks don't take oyu through this world


That's nice, but the first and last part doesn't apply. He may have gotten the specific phrase "teeth don't shine....." from this song, but that's it.
Besides, I was looking at the whole tone of the song My Fairy King. And these lyrics you just quoted here don't fit.
It's like saying Freddie drove by a Mercury car dealership and decided his last name would be Mercury.


i said it may be where he got his inspiration...you were qutoing one bit, i pretty-much nailed that one bit for you. especially when you consider that Brian was into a bit of musical theft (with a blues theme) at that time - "see what a fool i've been", so I am sure freddie wouldn't be averse to acquiring the odd phrase...anyhow, you asked about a phrase. i gave it to you.

as regards the rest of the song...most of us "oldie fans" have known a long time that it draws heavily from "the pied-piper of hamelyn, by robert browning"


go deo na hÉireann
Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Dec 07, 04:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOOOOO! :)
I also quoted this bit : "seasons fly no helping hand" :)



Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Dec 07, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brilliant! It makes sense.......

Yes I can see where Freddie probably could identify with all the children who were stolen away from their parents by the Piper.
Because the townspeople of Brunswick were too cheap to pay the piper his dues for ridding them of all their Vermin, he stole all their children
and took them ALLLL to a land "Where honey-bees had lost their stings, and horses were born with eagles' wings" never to be seen again by their parents.

OR, it could be that Freddie was away from school by his parents. His friends there were his "fairy circle ring" (how adorable).
He may have had someone he loved there and had to leave them because he was taken away (:( how sad) -- draining the color from his wings.
( :'( )

He could have been raped or abused in the "promised land", suffering somehow and there was noone there to help him.
Too sad :'(

I guess you could also say Freddie's parents were too cheap to get his teeth fixed when he was a child.


brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Dec 07, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you are reading far too much into My Fairy king.
It's a song. Simple.
If you want a realistic assessment of it - most of the prog rock/glam rock bands around that time - Genesis, Yes, Zep, Floyd, Rush, T-rex etc - were writing songs about mystical places and people - Queen I and II were Freddie's bash at doing the prog thing.
My Fairy King is based loosely on Browning's "Pied Piper" - in much the same was as Rush (later)did with Xanadu. genesis "looseley" based "...to revelation" on the bible. if you do some googling you'll find lots of other examples


go deo na hÉireann
Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Dec 07, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

you are reading far too much into My Fairy king.
It's a song. Simple.
If you want a realistic assessment of it - most of the prog rock/glam rock bands around that time - Genesis, Yes, Zep, Floyd, Rush, T-rex etc - were writing songs about mystical places and people - Queen I and II were Freddie's bash at doing the prog thing.
My Fairy King is based loosely on Browning's "Pied Piper" - in much the same was as Rush (later)did with Xanadu. genesis "looseley" based "...to revelation" on the bible. if you do some googling you'll find lots of other examples


I was only trying to spark some kind of interesting discussion.
Okay! Time to abandon this thread. :)


brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Dec 07, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...and that you did...which is why i bothered to discuss it with you.
but sometimes oyu have to accept that the interesting discussion you get may not be the one you were hoping for....discussion forums are about opinions, and everyone is entitled to a different opinion - until absolute facts are presented. at that point the discussion is no longer about opinions. nice chatting with you.


go deo na hÉireann
Stoner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Dec 07, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

...and that you did...which is why i bothered to discuss it with you.
but sometimes oyu have to accept that the interesting discussion you get may not be the one you were hoping for....discussion forums are about opinions, and everyone is entitled to a different opinion - until absolute facts are presented. at that point the discussion is no longer about opinions. nice chatting with you.


Yes, it's fun. So let's just FANTASIZE about the song on this thread! It is a fantasy song right? Did you know that's where they get the word fantastic from? It's a fantastic song.
Besides, I don't think you can really fully enjoy something whether it be a song, or a painting or a poem without creating some sort of illusion in your head about it. And to create illusions in your head requires that you MUST read too much into something, sometimes things that aren't even there. That's what it's there for -- speculation and fantasizing.
It's obscure and mysterious and romantic and beautiful and fun.
I totally agree with you that this song is probably just written in the progressive rock (whatever that is) style that you say was popular in the 70's. But it's still fun to fantasize about it.