Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Jan 08, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why Todays' CDs sound like crap

http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2008/01/why-todays-cds-sound-like-crap.html

Interesting stuff: includes comments about WWTLF and WWRY.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 08, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Too true. Vinyl will always sound better than digital. Digital lacks warmth, analog will always beat digital. The good bands record on 2" tape, just like they used to in the good ole days

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 08, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

artemismoon wrote:

Too true. Vinyl will always sound better than digital. Digital lacks warmth, analog will always beat digital. The good bands record on 2" tape, just like they used to in the good ole days

i agree analog is much better

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 08, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't even have to click the link. The answer is loudness. Pushing it too far and killing dynamics.

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 08, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I took a CD back to the shop the other day, complained that it sounded like crap. The salesguy told me that it was in stunning digital clarity, and I waved him off and told him that it was the band that was the problem.
Todays CDs do indeed sound terrible, he agreed, and we hi-fived over a brandy and cigars. For an encore I made out with the cute red-headed saleslady standing next to me.

I hate todays CDs, but there's always an upshot to this kind of thing.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 02:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Something I've noticed is if I record vinyl onto CD, the CD actually DOES retain a lot of the "warm" vinyl sound. So I don't think CDs are necessarily the culprit, it's the mastering of them (as the article shows).

Also there was some study on people's brains recently that showed they don't get the same emotional response from an MP3 as an uncompressed file, because the supposedly inaudible highs and lows that are stripped out apparently do make a difference. Plus people's brains have to work harder to fill in the missing pieces.

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 02:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We had three whole lectures about analog VS digital in Maths

I do prefer records, but the only problem is they are so hard to come by here unless you live in the main centres, not to mention a record player will set you back nearly $400

"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8684 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 03:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't worry, the cd like we know it won't be here anymore in a few years. The industrie is brainstorming for alternatives, but what Radiohead did with In Rainbows is pretty much where we're heading.

Killed by drones.
mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4630 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 03:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="#FF1493">The Fairy King wrote:

but what Radiohead did with In Rainbows is pretty much where we're heading.

I for one hope not. I much prefer to have stuff in physical form, i.e CD, Vinyl etc. And especially vinyl, where not only is the audio far superior, the artwork is as well.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
radio_what's_new user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The artwork of vinyl is much better than the artwork of a cd, but a cd is more practical in use.

Modern new releases on vinyl are sounding the same as on a cd. That's because the music is recorded digital in the studio. When a digital sound is put onto vinyl it doesn't make any difference to a new cd.

It used to be a difference, but everyone who claims to hear a difference between a 2007 vinyl release which has been recorded digitally and the same music on a 2007 cd-release is talking nonsense. Vinyl only sounds better for the old anolog recordings. (for example the EMI anniversary re-release of A day at the races LP, the sound on vinyl is superb, but that's because of the pimped anolog recording)

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't worry, the cd like we know it won't be here anymore in a few years. The industrie is brainstorming for alternatives, but what Radiohead did with In Rainbows is pretty much where we're heading.

Well that will be a world where I won't buy music. I refuse to pay to download an album. I want the physical product, not some digital file.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Well that will be a world where I won't buy music. I refuse to pay to download an album. I want the physical product, not some digital file.
Only stupid people want to OWN what they pay for, Pieter. Only stupid people.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder if all those 'Digital sucks' people can pick out the one song from Made in Heaven which was recorded and mixed analog.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

I wonder if all those 'Digital sucks' people can pick out the one song from Made in Heaven which was recorded and mixed analog.

Wasn't it only the version from the USA single for that song? I remember Brian saying something about that many years ago.

Or is there one song (and only one) in the MIH CD that was recorded and mixed analog?

I can guess by looking at the times the songs were actually recorded but I don't know how were they mixed.

Tell the difference by listening to them? I don't think I could, but let's see someone else give it a try.

Wiley

sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The prophet's song wrote:

I do prefer records, but the only problem is they are so hard to come by here unless you live in the main centres, not to mention a record player will set you back nearly $400

i don´t think you must pay 400$ for a record player. buying a working used one from ebay or a second hand shop should not cost more than 50$, just make sure the needle is allright or better buy a new one (internet) for another 20-30$.nearly all regular queen lps were pressed in masses and should be easily found on flehmarkets even in nz for less than
5$,or buy a collection on ebay.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Just You and Me user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 94 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you think they sell record players for cars these days?

life is like a box of chocolates...stuffed with individuals.

Mary
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

artemismoon wrote:

i agree analog is much better

I never thought I'm gonna write this, but I agree with you

Legy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 433 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Too Much Love

If it weren't for digital technology, Made in Heaven wouldn't have been made. Digital has its good and bad, but lately it's been all bad. Some bands record in analog and then mix in digital, you keep some warmth that way. But man, there are some crappy bands producing some crappy sounding CD's.

goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 08, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

radio_what's_new wrote:

The artwork of vinyl is much better than the artwork of a cd, but a cd is more practical in use.

Modern new releases on vinyl are sounding the same as on a cd. That's because the music is recorded digital in the studio. When a digital sound is put onto vinyl it doesn't make any difference to a new cd.

It used to be a difference, but everyone who claims to hear a difference between a 2007 vinyl release which has been recorded digitally and the same music on a 2007 cd-release is talking nonsense. Vinyl only sounds better for the old anolog recordings. (for example the EMI anniversary re-release of A day at the races LP, the sound on vinyl is superb, but that's because of the pimped anolog recording)

Actually I've wondered about this. I'm wondering if the recording COULD gain some of the analog warmth even though analog is entering in last.

The reason is the physical vinyl grooves wouldn't be able to reproduce much of the "jaggy" digital waveforms accurately, and would have to smooth them out into analog curves. Plus if there's an extra step in the recording going to analog tape before it goes to analog vinyl the sound waves may be "smoothed" out there as well. It would be interesting to see if the final waveform looks close to a smooth curved line or still has that jagged "step" look like digital has....

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull