Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen to play at the new O2 arena

forum rss feed
Author

D@VID user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 85 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 05:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just saw Brian on ITV and he more or less said Queen definetley touring next year.They are going to play the O2 arena in London.

Hello all
banana-wig 18038 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah! Wish they'd given him more time on the programme though - seemed like he was going to mention more about the new album (release date maybe??)...Maybe he will come in with Anita??

Nightjar_ user not visiting Queenzone.com
Nightjar_
Bohemian: 198 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6CQfvSFtKWs

Enjoy

I was born on the 22nd floor of a bird cage
violonbleu user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 493 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

D@VID wrote:

Just saw Brian on ITV and he more or less said Queen definetley touring next year.They are going to play the O2 arena in London.

Next year = THIS year :-)

Violonbleu
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's not Queen, it's Paul Rodgers with two opportunistic cowards, plus some guest musicians.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
violonbleu user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 493 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

That's not Queen, it's Paul Rodgers with two opportunistic cowards, plus some guest musicians.

Interesting.

Violonbleu
bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

violonbleu wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

Interesting.

And inaccurate, but everyone's entitled to an opinion.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I sense a bit of opportunism in this post.
You should stick to analysis of the actual music. And just be thankful that it's not Q+RW.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 12:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

You should stick to analysis of the actual music.

I second that.

Sebastian

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Faron Hyte wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

I second that.

Well, I think they should stick to another name instead of Queen. We're all entitled to our opinions.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Mr Faron Hyte wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

I second that.

Well, I think they should stick to another name instead of Queen. We're all entitled to our opinions.

you mean like FREE or SMILE ???
how about FRILE? or SMEE ?

go deo na h√Čireann
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Mr Faron Hyte wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

I second that.

And I assume Led Zeppelin are cowards then, for reuniting a couple of times with guest drummers yet labelling themselves "Led Zeppelin"...(?)

I haven't seen anyone questioning the legitimacy of Led Zeppelin's use of that name.

Maybe people are bitter about Queen using the name because it was the legendary lead singer who died, not the silent bassist or the average drummer...?

With all respect, I love your website, I love the brilliant work you do in providing accurate info about Queen's music, but you sound like one of those annoying spammers like Treasure Moment when you enter threads just to moan about Q+PR.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
monty-- user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But, as there are element of Queen, and two composers from Queen...shirley it's Queen?

Sebastian

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And I assume Led Zeppelin are cowards then, for reuniting a couple of times with guest drummers yet labelling themselves "Led Zeppelin"...(?) I haven't seen anyone questioning the legitimacy of Led Zeppelin's use of that name.

I think they're cowards too. And I think their concert was way below their level.

Maybe people are bitter about Queen using the name because it was the legendary lead singer who died, not the silent bassist or the average drummer...?

I personally would complain in any of those cases. Fred + Brian wouldn't be Queen. Fred + John wouldn't be Queen. Fred + Rog wouldn't be Queen. Bri + John wouldn't be Queen. Rog + John wouldn't be Queen, and of course, Bri + Rog aren't Queen.

With all respect, I love your website, I love the brilliant work you do in providing accurate info about Queen's music, but you sound like one of those annoying spammers like Treasure Moment when you enter threads just to moan about Q+PR.

This is a forum, so we're all here to post what we think. And what I think is what I posted. I'm not saying Fred was the band, I'm not saying Brian and Rog are bad musicians, I'm not denying Paul is marvellous. In fact, I've always said I think Brian + Roger + Paul are a wonderful combination of musicians, I think they've got great chemistry together and I think they could (and will) release high-class material. But they're not Queen, so it's IMO utterly opportunistic and coward to rely on it instead of using a new one (not related with their past). After all, they're a new band, playing new music, and (according to what Bri often claims) not living in the past.

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

And I assume Led Zeppelin are cowards then, for reuniting a couple of times with guest drummers yet labelling themselves "Led Zeppelin"...(?) I haven't seen anyone questioning the legitimacy of Led Zeppelin's use of that name.

I think they're cowards too. And I think their concert was way below their level.

You can't expect a bunch of 60-year-old guys to sound like a bunch of 25-year-olds, can you? Plant's vocal range alone limits them.

Sebastian wrote:

I personally would complain in any of those cases. Fred + Brian wouldn't be Queen. Fred + John wouldn't be Queen. Fred + Rog wouldn't be Queen. Bri + John wouldn't be Queen. Rog + John wouldn't be Queen, and of course, Bri + Rog aren't Queen.

The thing is, Freddie never said he wanted the band to finish. The only thing we know about his opinion on the subject is that he asked Brian, Roger and John to finish Made In Heaven.

After his death, Roger, Brian and John owned the name. John decided to leave, but he gave the other two permission to use the name (if Brian was lying about this, they could've been sued by now, right?).

Besides, from the interviews and from Brian's soapbox, we can tell they are working just like the old days, using all the Queen trademarks. Why change the name when we're getting pretty much the same we used to get back in the old days, only with a different voice?

Sebastian wrote:

This is a forum, so we're all here to post what we think. And what I think is what I posted. I'm not saying Fred was the band, I'm not saying Brian and Rog are bad musicians, I'm not denying Paul is marvellous. In fact, I've always said I think Brian + Roger + Paul are a wonderful combination of musicians, I think they've got great chemistry together and I think they could (and will) release high-class material. But they're not Queen, so it's IMO utterly opportunistic and coward to rely on it instead of using a new one (not related with their past). After all, they're a new band, playing new music, and (according to what Bri often claims) not living in the past.

See previous comment.

About this being a forum... Yep, you're entitled to show your opinion. But lately you've been writing your opinion in SEVERAL threads. I think we all have already gotten the point - you don't support the way they're using the name. If you keep repeating it over and over everytime someone gets excited about Q+PR news, we'll assume you're just trying to tease everybody whose opinion is different than yours.

Yet, once again I'll say... Nothing personal. I really respect you and your work.

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's strange that people care at all how they call themselves. I don't give a fuck if they call it Queen, Queen + Paul Rodgers, Queen II, Smile, Smile Again, Bad Queen Company, Queen Free, Freddie Mercury Was Gay, AIDS is the Cure or 3 Old Farts. As long as we'll get some new music and a great tour like in 2005/2006.

Sebastian

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> You can't expect a bunch of 60-year-old guys to sound like a bunch of 25-year-olds, can you?

Did I say "their concert was shite because they didn't sound like the albums"? NO. I said "below their level", i.e. "below the level a 63 yo Page, a 59 yo Plant and a 61 yo Jones should have".

> The thing is, Freddie never said he wanted the band to finish.

He did say that if anyone left Queen, anyone of the four, that'd be the end of the band. Some bands work like football teams (Yes, for instance, or GnR), some others don't. I personally would love a McCartney + Starr + Clapton + Gilmour (for instance) tour, but that wouldn't be The Beatles. Not better, not worse, just not The Beatles (or Cream or Pink Floyd for that matter). Same case here. All of that, of course, IMO.

> The only thing we know about his opinion on the subject is that he asked Brian, Roger and John to finish Made In Heaven.

All in all I couldn't care less about Fred's opinion on the matter. I've got mine, and mine is... you know.

> After his death, Roger, Brian and John owned the name.

I'm not talking about law (of course they can call themselves Queen and I can't do anything to stop them), but about ethics, morality and integrity. Not in vain I call them "opportunistic cowards" rather than "dishonest thieves". Again, IMO.

> from the interviews and from Brian's soapbox, we can tell they are working just like the old days, using all the Queen trademarks.

I completely disagree there.

> Why change the name when we're getting pretty much the same we used to get back in the old days, only with a different voice?

Because it's a different band. Not only the voice has changed, but the music itself (Paul is more than a singer, he also plays instruments and composes). No Freddie-esque piano, no Deacy bass... that's not Queen. IMO.

> But lately you've been writing your opinion in SEVERAL threads. I think we all have already gotten the point - you don't support the way they're using the name. If you keep repeating it over and over everytime someone gets excited about Q+PR news, we'll assume you're just trying to tease everybody whose opinion is different than yours.

Do you think I won't be able to sleep if some QZers "assume (I'm) just trying to tease everybody whose opinion is different than (mine)"? No, I can live with that. It's a forum, so I can express my opinion on the matter (and the concept of "several" or "too many" times is relative) as much as I feel like it.

> I think it's strange that people care at all how they call themselves.

The world would be very boring if all people cared (or didn't care) about the same details.

> I don't give a fuck if they call it Queen, Queen + Paul Rodgers, Queen II, Smile, Smile Again, Bad Queen Company, Queen Free, Freddie Mercury Was Gay, AIDS is the Cure or 3 Old Farts.

I wish they shared that thought, and changed the bloody name.

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But what does it matter to you Sebastian if they call it Queen or not? I thought you only cared about the music, the art blablabla.

vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In spite of the name, I wish they load the upcoming shows with new music and put a definitive end to all that stuff about 'trademark sounds', LOML sing-alongs and WWRY/WATC as final encores.

If they want to be a band again, then they have to be brave and build A BAND. Otherwise they'll do nothing but keep covering their own songs and live under Freddie's shadow (although they claim they don't do it anymore).

Posted: 04 Jan 08, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed, they should drop some of the 'classic' Queen stuff. No more Freddie video's, no more WATC as a finale.