Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Q+PR

forum rss feed
Author

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jan 08, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't wait to see them live again - hope brian does a few piano songs, that's why Queen stood out from other rock bands, because they weren't sophisticated enough to play the piano.

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jan 08, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see what you're saying, but playing the piano doesn't necessarily mean you're more sophisticated than somebody else.


"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
smileexpert user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jan 08, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Can't wait to see them live again - hope brian does a few piano songs, that's why Queen stood out from other rock bands, because they weren't sophisticated enough to play the piano."

Nice attempt at English...

Do you mean they were MORE sophisticaed because they played piano -- or they were LESS sophisticated because they DIDN'T play piano.

I agree with the previous post - just because you don't play piano - doesn't mean you're not sophisticated (Jimmy Page...for example)

On the flipside..Queen used PLENTY of piano in their hits and other songs -- and Brian played on a number of them.




Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jan 08, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

smileexpert wrote:

Nice attempt at English...

Do you mean they were MORE sophisticaed


Nice attempt at Spelling.

But it brings up a more compelling question.

Is Jethro Tull even better because they had a piano AND flute?

What about Sting and his latest album? I don't know what the hell he's playing!!!

And Peter Gabriel? Double Violins, Santurs, Tablas, and a Chapman Stick?



smileexpert user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jan 08, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hehe...Nice catch Microwave. (You win!) :)

Cheers.



Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jan 08, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since when Queen is the only (or one of the few) rock bands to use a piano?


We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
Pandy Legend user not visiting Queenzone.com
Pandy Legend
Champion: 79 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think quite a few bands use piano.

Queen, however, are certainly impressive for the range of instruments they used and actually played themselves - particularly in the early "No Synthesizers" days.

Off the top of my head, some of the instruments include....

Piano (all four could play), home-made electric guitar, electric bass, acoustic bass, acoustic guitar, 12 string guitar, drums, timpani, gong, harpsichord, banjo, harmonium, slide guitar, marimba, double bass, toy koto, harp, ukelele and I think John also played the triangle.


;-P
Roger's Beard user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 315 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm.
Aerosmith used piano a lot in the 70's....

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Jan 08, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

smileexpert wrote:

"Can't wait to see them live again - hope brian does a few piano songs, that's why Queen stood out from other rock bands, because they weren't sophisticated enough to play the piano."

Nice attempt at English...

Do you mean they were MORE sophisticaed because they played piano -- or they were LESS sophisticated because they DIDN'T play piano.

I agree with the previous post - just because you don't play piano - doesn't mean you're not sophisticated (Jimmy Page...for example)

On the flipside..Queen used PLENTY of piano in their hits and other songs -- and Brian played on a number of them.





and your point?? had a bad day?? north american idiot

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Jan 08, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

north american idiot
You'll find a LOT of them, I'm sad to say...


"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Jan 08, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Innuendo1990 plays piano...

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Jan 08, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

smileexpert wrote:


Nice attempt at English...
Do you mean they were MORE sophisticaed...


Nothing personal, but I just love irony!

But back to the point.
Johnny Cash = genius because he could sing AND play the guitar.
Bob Dylan = sheer bloody genius because he can sing AND play the guitar AND play harmonica.

Busker in town center: can sing AND play guitar AND play harmonica, AND play drum strapped to his back, AND play Cymbols strapped to his legs, AND play tamborine strapped to elbow, AND play the tin whistle = F****ng bloody nutter!


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Jan 08, 23:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

north american idiot


Is that seriously an attempt to insult someone? Since when was it a stereotype that people on this side of the pond, regardless of country/state/province, are idiots? Have I missed something?



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca