forum rss feed
Author

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DSMN in at 81, queen's new single at 90? fekkin lamentable!!! and i tell you this...if ever my comments that current queen (smile) sound is completely invalid in the modern era - this chart position is it...
Joe Public couldn't give a toss about this tired, dirge-like crap!!! there is no room for this rubbish these days...

and to those who say "well i am just glad they are keeping the queen name out there" - bollox! no90 in the charts is not keeping anything out anywhere - except for out of touch!!!
i would rather they did f-all than continually trudge out forgettable garbage!!

projects with 5ive, robbie, pepsi, ben elton, and christ knows any other way they can prostitute themselves for 30 pieces of silver - are fekkin shameful...

i cannot believe a band as talented as this one - my alltime favourite band - who produced singles like DSMN, Somebody to love, seven seas of rhye and albums like Opera, Races and II have sunk this low, are this bereft of ideas...this is going through the motions and we all know what motions produce .... shit
It saddens me to admit this, as i know they have every right to carry on working as queen, but the stuff they chuck out sullies the queen brand...perhaps they should stop now...or at least come back with a decent idea...

let me leave you with one final thought: those who say "they'd rather Brian and Roger were out there keeping the queen name alive, thinking about the fans" - this is rubbish...
you only have to cast your mind back to the time when every new single and album was anticiapted because you knew it would be innovative, exciting or just plain fantastic...it's a long time since Brian and Roger managed that! - Perhaps it's because the real genuine talent for the extreme/different/innovation has been gone for 16yrs?
just a thought

go deo na hÉireann
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

i cannot believe a band as talented as this one - my alltime favourite band - who produced singles like DSMN, Somebody to love, seven seas of rhye and albums like Opera, Races and II have sunk this low, are this bereft of ideas...this is going through the motions and we all know what motions produce .... shit

Let's not forget Body Language....

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Relax man. Rush brought in a rapper and they continued to put out decent material after that.

Eddie had to play his keyboard, but he's stopped that AND smoking! Still waiting for the good album... but it's coming!!!!

Gr8 King Rat user not visiting Queenzone.com
go Cubs go!
Gr8 King Rat
Bohemian: 423 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

projects with 5ive, robbie, pepsi, ben elton, and christ knows any other way they can prostitute themselves for 30 pieces of silver - are fekkin shameful...

Well, I'll have to agree with you there. I wish none of that crap ever happened.

Now I havent seen the musical...but come on...a musical??! That is so far from rock'n'roll. Ugh..

vadenuez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 263 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 13:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A musical about a future world where rock music is forbidden.

That's so Styx!

brENsKi

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Let's not forget Body Language....

yes but i did cover that in my last paragraph:

"it's a long time since Brian and Roger managed that! - Perhaps it's because the real genuine talent for the extreme/different/innovation has been gone for 16yrs?"
and as bad as body language was it was "different and innovative"

go deo na hÉireann
newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

great topic! this is what this place SHOULD be all about good arguments great banter cheers brenski.

martinjkstones
fredswife user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh look. Another thread of rubbish.

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hear what you're saying Brenski but, to be honest, how much does a chart position actually tell us about quality or popularity these days?
I haven't paid attention to an album or singles chart in years. I think the world of iTunes youtube, myspace,both legal and illegal downloading etc has caused a shift in how people buy/hear/acquire music these days. Does anyone know which demographic group is responsible for good old-fashioned music buying anymore?
In the case of SINT, we all know it was available first as a free download so the fact that it charted at all is miraculous.

As for your thoughts on the new material not being representative of Queen's innovative reputation, that's a perfectly valid point and to some extent, understandable that a group of rich men pushing 60 years of age don't have that creative hunger for success in their sound anymore. However, I have hope that casual listeners will continue to discover Queen's glorious back catalogue along the way even if it is via America Idol, fizzy drink commercials or West End musicals.

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 08, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My new signature is a genuine rant, derived from this thread. Take that!

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

saltnvinegar wrote:

I hear what you're saying Brenski but, to be honest, how much does a chart position actually tell us about quality or popularity these days?

Exactly. The old Queen fan fault of equating success with quality.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

Exactly. The old Queen fan fault of equating success with quality.

Yes! That is correct. I couldn't have said it better. Really, I used to listen almost exclusively to Queen when I was 10 to 14 years old or something.

I missed a lot of good music over those years, I think.

I remember a friend of mine forgot his "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" CD by the Smashing Pumpkins in my house around July 1996. I looked at it and thought I might give it a listen but I didn't. I actually thought (without listening to the album) "Who are these guys? There's no way they are BETTER than Queen?".

Now I think: "So fucking what?". I listened to that album a couple of years later and loved it. I didn't listen to many bands of MY time in their prime and I regret it.

I'm 26 years old now. I'm not wise or old but I really hope some of the teens that visit this board can learn about this brief example.

Really, Queen rocks and they rock hard! No other band I like their music more, in general, but now I appreciate other artists a lot more.

Wiley

brENsKi

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the comment wasn't about the charts being necessarily more valid...just that DSMN at 81 (and 30yrs old) charted higher than queen's new single...

also, let's take a hypothetical....
if everything in the queen vaults was burnt to cinders tomorrow, and the band were bankrupted by poor business ventures and all they had was past reputation....
you could bet your bottom dollar that Bri and Rog would be fekkin hungry, they'd try a darn sight harder to impress than a few lazy collaborative remixes with new bands....and a crappy musical
they would work their bollox off to get some cred and sales...cos they'd need it...problem is - they don't need to try...so they don't bother...and loyal fans get a continual stream of (at best)average product but at worst - garbage...shame on them

go deo na hÉireann
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They'll very likely chart higher when they release something that hasn't been available for download previously.

They probably won't sell as much as in the old days, but who does? In the era of P2P software, charts aren't enough to measure success. SINT didn't sell much, but it was downloaded over 100,000 times. That is, from the official website, not counting the guys who shared it with their friends on MSN, shared it on P2P networks, etc.

And last, but not least, AOBTD was a bigger hit than Killer Queen, and Break Free spent longer in the charts than Somebody To Love...

Charts are only ONE of the several things to be taken into account before judging a song/album/band.

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, but I can't figure out what DSMN is - anyone?

brENsKi

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

drwinston wrote:

Sorry, but I can't figure out what DSMN is - anyone?

you really have a problem working out the title of one of Freddie's finest compositions? that's almost shameful

go deo na hÉireann
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

They'll very likely chart higher when they release something that hasn't been available for download previously.

Yup. I would think only diehards would want to buy the CD single after it was a free download. I don't see the big deal about the chart position.

Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bigV wrote:

My new signature is a genuine rant, derived from this thread. Take that!

V.

There are some major problems with your signature, though.

1) Queen is "no longer a forgotten band" because it has never been forgotten. Even though it hasn't been the most hyped band around, it's still enjoyed a status as a "legendary band" with steady success which most groups around would be thrilled with... In short, it's famous for its past, not for its present.

2) "Queen" of these days is not a living or breathing entity. It's missing vital elements, and some might even say the real spark that made it stand out the most. You could even say that "Queen" of today is nothing more than a drooling vegetable being artificially kept alive for selfish reasons, when it has no hope of recovery.

3) The music might be new (well, only a few years old anyway...) but hardly exciting. There's a reason why Is This The World We Created wasn't a single in 1984, and for that same reason Say It's Not True shouldn't have been a single either. It might have a nice sentiment, but it's just not a particularily good song.

I know all this is hard for you to believe when you're such a passionate Brian May fan, but it actually takes a lot more than just him to make the band. ;)

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're right. It takes more than one person to make a great band. It takes good music. And Queen today, such as it is, still makes good music. Just wait for the new album and you'll see what I mean.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brenski,

Couldn't agree with you more - SINT is a disgrace. But wholly representative of a project that Brian and Roger have been involved in for some time. Quite how this simgle is going to benefit the 46664 charity os beyond me; did they really believe that they would generate enough sales to make it effective as a campaign tool?

BUT, I would simply say give them a chance. Let's see what the band album turns out to be. With a bit of luck, they wll have enough quality material to make sure that SINT isn't included in the finished product and we have an amalgamation of the best bits of Queen, Free and Bad Company; hard rocking, bluesy material with real balls.

As a first effort, it's passable, but clearly not a direction that needs persuing.

Benn