Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen - 1977 BBC Session - Wolfgang's Vault Stream

forum rss feed
Author

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This has just been made available for streaming courtesty of the Bill Graham Archive:

http://fsmail01.orange.co.uk/webmail/en_GB/read.html?FOLDER=SF_INBOX&IDMSG=5376&ORIGIN=SYSTEM_FOLDER

Quite how it is that they have come by this session is beyond me. I'd have thought that the various copyrights appliccable would have prevented this from being posted, let alone QPL's reluctance to release anything of value to anyone these days. Unless, of course, Wolfgang's Valult have been allowed to stream it one the proviso that they pay QPL a fee.

They also have "I Go Crazy" on the stream and claim that this was recorded at the same 1977 BBC session as the NOTW material. I've never heard anything of the sort ANYWHERE before.

JSS?

I wonder just how long this will be available for? Will this open the door for more of the same kind of thing?

Benn
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this is the link you want. That other link takes you to a webmail site

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/queen-concert/20050665-5660.html

I Go Crazy is the exact same running time as the B-Side version so I doubt very much that it is from those sessions.

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep - apologies for that - must have copied from another browser page.

Benn
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally, I think the whole "recordings" section of Wolfgang's Vault is a sham. Everything I've seen on there, from Zeppelin, to Floyd, to Janis Joplin, and now Queen, is from commonly-available bootlegs.

The Oakland 77 Pink Floyd recording is from the Mike Millard audience recording. It's unfortunate that so many people are fooled by all this, hoping for this goldmine of new recordings. Judging by what's already on the website, nothing new is going to come from it.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 08, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's an incredible show! I especially liked the embryonic version of Radio GaGa, which at that time was still called We Will Rock You.

Posted: 10 Jan 08, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH,

Whilst you're right of course, there are plenty of treasures - much of the Jefferson Airplane material hasn't been available before in such good quality and the two Who shows from 1973 are clear upgrades of the commonly available boots. Pete Townshend's Brixton Academy concert from 1985 is the ONLY complete version of this show available other than the audience tape.

I'm just surprised that the site has a BBC session available - seems a little odd as I don't believe Graham ever had any connection to BBC recordings in any shape or form......

Benn
Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 08, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's also amazing how they have their cover of Whole Lotta Love on there.

Which was called "It's Late" at the time. :)

Gr8 King Rat user not visiting Queenzone.com
go Cubs go!
Gr8 King Rat
Bohemian: 423 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 08, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks. This is probably my favorite BBC session of them all. And its nice to listen to this without that annoying "crowd noise" overlay.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 08, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote:

They also have "I Go Crazy" on the stream and claim that this was recorded at the same 1977 BBC session as the NOTW material. I've never heard anything of the sort ANYWHERE before.

It´s the first time i heard it too. I´ve heard that "I go cray" was from the "Hot Space" sessions.

Take care

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 08, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They've already removed "I Go Crazy" from the track listing.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 08, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree about the quality. I picked out lots of details that always escaped me on my vinyl version with crowd noise.

Griffin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 14 Jan 08, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shakespeare's plays were not written by Shakespeare, but by another man with the same name ;P

and ya cant stop rockin