Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Sheer Heart Attack album cover

forum rss feed
Author

bomber_dan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 369 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Jan 08, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I first got into Queen many years ago, and was learning about all the albums etc, when I saw the Queen II album cover I thought it was the best cover I'd ever seen. I very quickly dismissed the Sheer Heart Attack cover as just something sloppily knocked together for a quick cover.

However, after the initial stages of not liking it, it grew on me. Taking everything into account, it is quite simply an astonishing album cover. The time, the fashion, the positioning of each of the members... and in particular, Roger. I'm a huge fan of Roger so I may be a bit biased, but Roger simply is unbelieve on this cover, his expression, eyes, the fact that he is upside-down, his bare chest yet sleeved arm, the fact his body takes up almost half of the cover, his left hand pointed straight up and right hand holding the carpet, his hair... the list goes on. But this applies to all of them.

Sheer Heart Attack is possibly not only Queen's greatest album cover, but, indeed, one of, if not THE, greatest album cover of ALL TIME.

Mick Rock deserves to be commended - Queen II has always been and will always be a more iconic image of Queen, but Sheer Heart Attack should be on a par with it.

Amazing.

Queen are the best band, and they're still underrated!
mc7t user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 08, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

True...But when you play the album, it gets even better!

My fave Queen album...EVER!!

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 08, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually Roger's hair was "pasted" over that shot. According to Mick Rock he spliced the hair into that shot. Something wasn't right with the lighting or whatever and I read in an interview with him that he spliced the hair in. I don't know of many bands that would allow themselves to be smeared in vaseline and doused with water but these guys were hungry for their art that's for sure. If you get Rocks book the outtakes are that much more interesting.

bomber_dan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 369 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 08, 23:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And, also the fact that they are all looking in different dirrections and Roger is the only one looking at the camera. Just everything about it embodies what SHA is all about!

Queen are the best band, and they're still underrated!
funnyroger user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 08, 05:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The greates album cover!!!! My favorite!! Roger looks very-very sexy on it (as usual... :-D)
Do you know the picture from this SHA-photos when they all are laughing and smiling (except I think Freddie...)? It's very funny, they are so sweet! :-)

"sometimes I wanna burn down this crazy town..."
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 08, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Love it, but not so sure about this "Best Of All Time" business :) I wouldn't put it higher than Sgt. Pepper or Dark Side Of The Moon, though it's close! (Though Queen Rocks Montreal may have all three beat :)

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 08, 22:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No this is the greatest album cover of all time.

http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/mm/tempest/75/Image/cdcovers/heino.jpg

Just look at it! The intense, piercing eyes, the stylish shades, the bright blonde hair, and the beautiful flowers. I could go on all day.

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 08, 00:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=gold>SMI<font color=1>TTY wrote:

Just look at it! The intense, piercing eyes, the stylish shades, the bright blonde hair, and the beautiful flowers. I could go on all day.

Good grief-that's fantastic! What an absolutely bizarre little person he/she/it is.I can only imagine what the music must sound like based on that cover.
It reminds me of these gems
http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/showthread.php?t=235410

Roger Meadows Tailor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 330 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 08, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

saltnvinegar wrote:

<b><font color=gold>SMI<font color=1>TTY wrote:

Good grief-that's fantastic! What an absolutely bizarre little person he/she/it is.I can only imagine what the music must sound like based on that cover.
It reminds me of these gems
http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/showthread.php?t=235410>

Devastating Dave.Thats a good one(ha ha ha)XD

I shouldnt laugh,but i am!!!

Memories my memories

How long can you stay

to haunt my days.