Forums > Personal > New bands and other musical acts you'd strongly recommend

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think here we talk a lot about classic rock bands but we devote little time to the new acts.

A while ago I came across this wonderful album called 'Funeral' by the Arcade Fire, with beautifully produced musical arrangements sort of reminiscent of Bowie's glam rock days. I think a lot of Queen fans would enjoy it.

Wolfmother for those who don't know them comes across as the next Led Zeppelin. Not only is their sound very Zep like, but they're live performances are quite electryfing as well.

Franz Ferdinand I don't need to even mention how great they are, so if you are one of those living under the Classic Rock underground shelter for the past 5 years, you better give them a listen.

Other great new acts I'd recommend are Silversun Pickups, Cold War Kids, and even though I absolutely dread most of the whole nu-punk/emo scene, I have to admit that Paramore is damn good. That chick Haylee truly knows how to belt out a tune.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

I have to admit that Paramore is damn good. That chick Haylee truly knows how to belt out a tune.

They are great!

I'm seeing them this Friday. Brixton Accadmy....

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paramore indeed...
Listening to a lot of Fall Out Boy lately.
They have some nice songs. :D

Recommended tracks:

This Ain't a Scene...
I've Got This Ringing In My Ears...
Thnks Fr Th Mmrs

Do you have Last.FM Dan??

ps. yes i AM serious =D

Killed by drones.
@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 08:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good choice for a topic!

I suggest Coheed and Cambria, a bloody good band indeed.

If you like your guitar tunes served up quick, strong and complex then i suggest a bit of DragonForce.

Newton Faulkner is pretty awesome as well, one of the best live performers i'ver ever seen. He finished his set by doing the whole of Bohemian Rhapsody on an acoustic guitar!

Annnnnnnnnddd for a widely unknown artist i suggest Andy McKee, great acoustic player.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i recommend Bloc Party. really great group. i don't know if they're new though...

oh yeah. you guys should also listen to Peter, Bjorn and John. pretty okay band.

the plain white T's aren't bad either. Hey there Delilah is a nice song. :)

[edit]

also, Listen to life in disguise by the slip. the slip is a great act too. relaively new.

The Fairy King

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="green"><b> chickenlicious! wrote:

i recommend Bloc Party. really great group. i don't know if they're new though...

oh yeah. you guys should also listen to Peter, Bjorn and John. pretty okay band.

the plain white T's aren't bad either. Hey there Delilah is a nice song. :)

[edit]

also, Listen to life in disguise by the slip. the slip is a great act too. relaively new.

Plain White T's! Gonna see them live this Saturday. :) xD

Killed by drones.
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree fully with you about Franz Ferdinand ("Outsiders" = rhythm orgasm! Perfect drums and perfect bass, especially live!) and Arcade Fire. "Wake Up" used to be my favorite Arcade Fire song, but after hearing the full album a couple of times, I realised most of the album is a potential favorite song. I'll give the second album a listen sometime soon. And Franz Ferdinand... Probably the best new indie band. Much better than the Strokes, and obviously, better than the Franz Ferdinand wannabes that came up after they released their first album. Not to mention they're REALLY good on stage!!!

I'd like to add "Dirty Pretty Things". They have released an EP and an album, and both of them are worth listening. They're practically a reformed Libertines without Pete Doherty, and to be honest, they're a million times than The Libertines. The first time I heard them I had no clue I was hearing some people who were already kinda famous, I could swear on my life they were just a garage band - and I love their sound!

These are the videos for the singles they've released so far:

Bang Bang You're Dead
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYde_Hckww

Deadwood
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e5PGw_kr0Hw

Wondering
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a5KpplrAM20

If on one hand the recent indie wave brought lots of shitty pop bands who look all the same, on the other hand Franz Ferdinand, Arcade Fire, Dirty Pretty Things and a few others definitely make it worth it!

*edit* I really gotta listen to some Plain White T's stuff other than Hey There Delilah. They must have some other good stuff! :) And thank you for the Led Zeppish suggestion, Dan! I'll give them a try as well!

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
eenaweena.

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

I agree fully with you about Franz Ferdinand ("Outsiders" = rhythm orgasm! Perfect drums and perfect bass, especially live!) and Arcade Fire. "Wake Up" used to be my favorite Arcade Fire song, but after hearing the full album a couple of times, I realised most of the album is a potential favorite song. I'll give the second album a listen sometime soon. And Franz Ferdinand... Probably the best new indie band. Much better than the Strokes, and obviously, better than the Franz Ferdinand wannabes that came up after they released their first album. Not to mention they're REALLY good on stage!!!

I'd like to add "Dirty Pretty Things". They have released an EP and an album, and both of them are worth listening. They're practically a reformed Libertines without Pete Doherty, and to be honest, they're a million times than The Libertines. The first time I heard them I had no clue I was hearing some people who were already kinda famous, I could swear on my life they were just a garage band - and I love their sound!

These are the videos for the singles they've released so far:

Bang Bang You're Dead
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYde_Hckww

Deadwood
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e5PGw_kr0Hw

Wondering
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a5KpplrAM20

If on one hand the recent indie wave brought lots of shitty pop bands who look all the same, on the other hand Franz Ferdinand, Arcade Fire, Dirty Pretty Things and a few others definitely make it worth it!

*edit* I really gotta listen to some Plain White T's stuff other than Hey There Delilah. They must have some other good stuff! :) And thank you for the Led Zeppish suggestion, Dan! I'll give them a try as well!

Franz Ferdinand is love.

how long will it take them to finish their new record? GAH!!!

*cough*alexkapranos*cough*

eenaweena.

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

I think here we talk a lot about classic rock bands but we devote little time to the new acts.

A while ago I came across this wonderful album called 'Funeral' by the Arcade Fire, with beautifully produced musical arrangements sort of reminiscent of Bowie's glam rock days. I think a lot of Queen fans would enjoy it.

Wolfmother for those who don't know them comes across as the next Led Zeppelin. Not only is their sound very Zep like, but they're live performances are quite electryfing as well.

Franz Ferdinand I don't need to even mention how great they are, so if you are one of those living under the Classic Rock underground shelter for the past 5 years, you better give them a listen.

Other great new acts I'd recommend are Silversun Pickups, Cold War Kids, and even though I absolutely dread most of the whole nu-punk/emo scene, I have to admit that Paramore is damn good. That chick Haylee truly knows how to belt out a tune.

i came accross wolfmother in guitar hero II (corny, i know). and i fell in love with them ever since.

they do sound like led zep. :)

on the other hand, i still have to develop a bit more tolerance for paramore. they're along the lines of MCR (for me, at least), but they sound less whiny. so, yeah. that's pretty much what i think about paramore.

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

chickenlicious! wrote:

Franz Ferdinand is love.

how long will it take them to finish their new record? GAH!!!

*cough*alexkapranos*cough*

I got a bootleg from mid-2007 where you can hear some new songs.

Franz Ferdinand
Monday, June 4th, 2007
Grand Old Opry
Glasgow
Scotland
UK

Michael
Come On Home
Anyone In Love
Walk Away
Shopping For Blood
Take Me Out
A New Thrill
Dark Of The Matinee
English Goodbye
The Fallen
40 ft
Favourite Lie
Turn It On
Outsiders

One thing I noticed on the new tracks is that most of them are even more "dancey", with more synths and stuff - but they're very good! :)

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really hate 'Hey There Delilah'. Makes me want to grab that fuckin' guitar and smash it on the guy's head.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
eenaweena.

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^haha! lol! that's pretty much the only plain white t's song i like.. the others get a little simple plan for me. i downloaded them nonetheless.

The Fairy King

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

I agree fully with you about Franz Ferdinand ("Outsiders" = rhythm orgasm! Perfect drums and perfect bass, especially live!)

AGREED!
I ADORE that song...my fave FF-song!

Killed by drones.
eenaweena.

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^nah. i pretty much melt everytime i hear the fallen or walk away...

aaah... his sweet, sweet voice...

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 09:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

Take that back?!!?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
eenaweena.

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh yeah! listen to thirteen senses thing if you're into calming, depressing music.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Electric Six. Basically all existing genres.

Salem al Fakir. Soul, funk, or whatever. Reminds me of Stevie Wonder.

Both have myspace.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

I really hate 'Hey There Delilah'. Makes me want to grab that fuckin' guitar and smash it on the guy's head.

Word.

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="#FF1493">The Fairy King wrote:

Do you have Last.FM Dan??

I know you wasn't asking me, but I have Last.FM.

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 08, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the Hoosiers are pretty good, as are the Feeling.been listening to Amy MacDonald's new cd of late which is worth a gander at [esp Mr Rock n Roll].the new song by david jordon is quite catchy although it does sound like israel's eurovision entry and newton faulkner is in the same vein as jack johnson if you are into that type of thing.
glad im not the only one that finds hey there delilah annoying,the lyrics are creepy too.its nearly as bad lyricly as the brotherhood of man's "save all your kisses for me"..

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]