Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Bohemian Rhapsody (alternate vocal take) (from 24trk master)

forum rss feed
Author

Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Feb 08, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi guys, i've just started playing around with BoRhap... found a fascinating unused vocal take, so i thought i'd share. has piano, drums and some guitar to give a better impression of what Freddie was singing to. not mixed at all, just mono sorry.

http://www.sddd.nl/fileshare/Daniel/borhaptake.mp3

edit: Nothing special or new. courtesy of poopchute for the 24trk.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 08, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please RENAME IT. You will only confuse a lot of newbies who will think that this is some "rare demo"

No strings attached!
Dane

Posted: 05 Feb 08, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

there's a big difference between a demo and an alternate take. I cannot rename this, as it is just what it says. Ok, to be absolutely clear; this Mp3 consists of a new mix of the original master tape useing main vocals normally cut.

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 08, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dane wrote:

there's a big difference between a demo and an alternate take. I cannot rename this, as it is just what it says. Ok, to be absolutely clear; this Mp3 consists of a new mix of the original master tape useing main vocals normally cut.

How about relax a little...it's not exactly dangerous material like toxic

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 08, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dane wrote:

There seems to be a confusion here. For you to understand why Pittrek asked you to change the tittle, this is were we use the term "alternate take":
An alternate take in this case would have to be a different "take" donne by Freddie wich was not in the final version of the release song. In this case you are presenting the same take as the original song (or final release). And there are no vocals here that were cut out. This version has left some of the used vocals out. It sounds almost the same but there is a huge difference wich can lead people to think they have something different than the version they already have.

I don´t know if this is a track of the 5.1 surround version on DVD,or is a fan mix. But it would fit better as "New mix" than "Alternate take"

I know what you´re saying, but it´s the use of the word "take" that creates confusion. For a collector, a "take" is like in cinema. He sings the first take, 2nd take and so on.

I hope this clarifies.

Having said this, thanks for sharing this track. It´s allways good to hear the genius of Freddie at work. He could harmonize so beautifull is own voice. This song has so many layers of beauty in it, that words canot make it justice.

Take care

Jeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 08, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Edit*
DELETED because it is no use having a discussion when posts are rewritten

Roger AAAAAHHHH!
No strings attached!
Dane

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 07:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If this is the case Bobby, then I understand the confusion, let me explain then.

The main vocals of this mix are not the vocals appearing on the original (and final) BoRhap. They are taken from a normally muted piece of track of the original 24track master.

There are about four main vocal tracks on the multitracks, and only one was used in the end. The other 3 were volumed down(muted) in the final 'mix'

My first thought was to just share this vocal piece as standalone (no music) but it's very hard to hear the difference in takes without music.

You guys must hear the difference between this take of the vocals and the original because Freddie isn't singing all that clear, flipping over to falsetto at points and more small quirks. Vocals are different between the intro and the opera section, the rest is as it appeared on the album. Indeed if it was all mixed from the 5.1 mix or any other existing final mixes pittrek would have a legit point, this is from the mastertapes, and has (until a couple of days ago) never seen the light of day. I should have clearly stated the origin of this vocal take, my bad.

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger AAAAAHHHH!
No strings attached!
Dane

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what is the problem then? that just used 4 of the 24 tracks to get some backing tape to the vocals, and therefor it is a different mix made by a fan? If I was sharing this to show my mixing skills, I would certainly name it as such. its a different take.. not the whole song, just the vocals.. like the Hot Space alternate versions.. i believe some pieces of those also appear in the final mix.

nuff said bout it. feel like im taking crazy pills.. ;)

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger AAAAAHHHH!
Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*edited*

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*Edit*

Roger AAAAAHHHH!
Seven_Seas_Of_Rhye II user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can not download this, the link is not working ...for now.

What is BoRhap multitrack? - I guess it is 24-channels-recording. And in the final mastering Queen used (took) each channel for some seconds in the certain moment. Right?

Guys-experts - A QUESTION - do we have all these 24 tracks (for each channel)? If yes, where can we hear it?

Take this letter that I give you

Take it sonny hold it high

You won't understand a word that's in it

But you'll write it all again before you die
Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nicely done, Dane.
Sounds like a pretty good demo.
(I mean this in a positive way)

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
Rami user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 918 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting! Thank you very much!

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dane, i apologise!

Guys, this is indeed an alternate take and it was never heard before. You can compare the lines "Gonna leave you all behing and face the truth...", wich are different than the original.

The confusion comes from the fact that Freddie could reproduce every take almost perfectly!

EDIT- I have now realized where this has come from, thanks to YV.

Take care

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bobby_Brown - is it possible that you have not looked into the General Forum in the last days and actually missed the threads buy "poopchute"?

I do not want any google ads here.

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

Bobby_Brown - is it possible that you have not looked into the General Forum in the last days and actually missed the threads buy "poopchute"?

Believe it or not, yes it´s true!
I wouldn´t be discussing this issue if i had seen that topic.
I´m dealing with too much issues on a personal level, and i almost can´t keep up with the great sharings here lately.

You´re a STAR YourValentine, thanks for saying that. Obviously you were seeing that something wasn´r right with this topic :-)

Take care

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In fact two threads:)

No need to explain why you don't look into the General Forum, there are good reasons not to look there too often but sometimes you find a nugget in all the mud - or two nuggets to be precise.

I do not want any google ads here.

Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 08, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazing and thanks YV for directing our eyes to that shithole called General Forum and clear all this up, such a shame the whole stuff wasn't shared here at first.