Forums > Fan mixes > Bohemian Rhapsody (instrumental mix)

forum rss feed
Author

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps not 100% technically accurate to the original, but then neither was the karaoke mix ;)

I spent all morning trying to get it just right. I don't plan on redoing the karaoke nor the original, but here's the first really good (if I may say so) true instrumental. Thanks of course to Mr. Chute for the files.

flac (26 MB):
http://www.mediafire.com/?5miylxoz5me

mp3 (13 MB):
http://www.mediafire.com/?8nk3e3yg1mj

(see later posts for 2nd versions)


Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very nicely done, J. My only question is about the solo guitar. It sounded a little...on it's own. Maybe it was too thin sounding, but it didn't quite sit right in the mix. Everything else was pretty cool, though.

Adam.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds as though there has been a bit chopped off from the start.
Would this have benefited from the 1 - 2- 3 - 4 intro?


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you're right about the solo. I struggled to get it to where it was loud enough on top of the backing guitars during that section and I'm afraid I over-compensated ;)

I'll play around with it some more later and if I can improve it I'll upload a new version :)

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Sounds as though there has been a bit chopped off from the start.
Would this have benefited from the 1 - 2- 3 - 4 intro?


Well, it's actually complete as far as the instrumental part is concerned. If you listen closely to the original, you'll see that's where the piano actually starts, so I stuck with that. The count-in would leave a long silence :)

Could use the whole piano intro I suppose.. I'll think about it ;)

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

J7 wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

Sounds as though there has been a bit chopped off from the start.
Would this have benefited from the 1 - 2- 3 - 4 intro?


Well, it's actually complete as far as the instrumental part is concerned. If you listen closely to the original, you'll see that's where the piano actually starts, so I stuck with that. The count-in would leave a long silence :)

Could use the whole piano intro I suppose.. I'll think about it ;)


I agree with you, but, and I know it's just me, when I heard the 'Official edited 7" single', it grated because it just did not 'fit right' against the image in my head.
At least with a full piano intro - it would sound more complete to my ears.
That is not knocking your mix, just saying that it sounds 'weird' (to me) without it.


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

J7 wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

Sounds as though there has been a bit chopped off from the start.
Would this have benefited from the 1 - 2- 3 - 4 intro?


Well, it's actually complete as far as the instrumental part is concerned. If you listen closely to the original, you'll see that's where the piano actually starts, so I stuck with that. The count-in would leave a long silence :)

Could use the whole piano intro I suppose.. I'll think about it ;)


I agree with you, but, and I know it's just me, when I heard the 'Official edited 7" single', it grated because it just did not 'fit right' against the image in my head.
At least with a full piano intro - it would sound more complete to my ears.
That is not knocking your mix, just saying that it sounds 'weird' (to me) without it.



John, perhaps if you'll let me hear that 7" version I could recreate it in high-quality form for you, both karaoke/instrumental and vocal versions ;)

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Feb 08, 09:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><FONT SIZE=4>inu-liger</b> wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

J7 wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

Sounds as though there has been a bit chopped off from the start.
Would this have benefited from the 1 - 2- 3 - 4 intro?


Well, it's actually complete as far as the instrumental part is concerned. If you listen closely to the original, you'll see that's where the piano actually starts, so I stuck with that. The count-in would leave a long silence :)

Could use the whole piano intro I suppose.. I'll think about it ;)


I agree with you, but, and I know it's just me, when I heard the 'Official edited 7" single', it grated because it just did not 'fit right' against the image in my head.
At least with a full piano intro - it would sound more complete to my ears.
That is not knocking your mix, just saying that it sounds 'weird' (to me) without it.



John, perhaps if you'll let me hear that 7" version I could recreate it in high-quality form for you, both karaoke/instrumental and vocal versions ;)


"No, no, no, no, no no no..."


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Feb 08, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL! By the way I look forward to hearing inu-liger's mixes because his Killer Queen mixes are fantastic :)

For you, John, here is a version which includes the full piano intro. There is some Freddie guide vocal leakage which I can't remove, though I did remove two little static clicks.

flac:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ejjbi41mhgv
mp3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?djhyvzhjngy

And both of these also include my attempts to balance the guitars a little better as well as some other minor adjustments (I suppose I'll find out later I've ruined something else!) But below is the version I prefer, without the extra piano.

flac:
http://www.mediafire.com/?balymjk2j5z

mp3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6ywjd3cd2gm



John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Feb 08, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

J7 wrote:

For you, John, here is a version which includes the full piano intro... below is the version I prefer, without the extra piano...


Respectfully, I have to disagree; Even with the vocal leakage, I think I prefer the full piano version intro - as it gives me an introductory reference point.
However, it was a good idea to upload both versions, as it now gives the 'consumer' a choice as to which one they prefer.

I especially like the timpani section in the middle. On the official version, it seems to have got lost somewhere underneath the pyramid of vocals.

For a fuller audience appreciation, perhaps you need to complete this set with a full 'balanced guitars with piano intro' also!


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Feb 08, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahh, I knew I sucked at explaining things ;) All of what I uploaded today does include the balanced guitars too. They're identical except for the intros.

Having now listened to all of these through speakers now I must say they sound rather flat. I should have done some EQ work. I'm cursed with brand new headphones which make everything sound good regardless ;)

Oh well, it's just for fun anyway. Except for playing around with these two 'leaked' songs, I've never remixed from multi-tracks before.

The guitars were the most difficult for me. Being spread across no less than half of the tracks, getting anything remotely similar to the official version was pure hell.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 08, 00:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

<b><FONT SIZE=4>inu-liger</b> wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

J7 wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

Sounds as though there has been a bit chopped off from the start.
Would this have benefited from the 1 - 2- 3 - 4 intro?


Well, it's actually complete as far as the instrumental part is concerned. If you listen closely to the original, you'll see that's where the piano actually starts, so I stuck with that. The count-in would leave a long silence :)

Could use the whole piano intro I suppose.. I'll think about it ;)


I agree with you, but, and I know it's just me, when I heard the 'Official edited 7" single', it grated because it just did not 'fit right' against the image in my head.
At least with a full piano intro - it would sound more complete to my ears.
That is not knocking your mix, just saying that it sounds 'weird' (to me) without it.



John, perhaps if you'll let me hear that 7" version I could recreate it in high-quality form for you, both karaoke/instrumental and vocal versions ;)


"No, no, no, no, no no no..."


:(

Nobody trusts me.

ern2150 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 302 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Feb 08, 01:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><FONT SIZE=4>inu-liger</b> wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

<b><FONT SIZE=4>inu-liger</b> wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

J7 wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

Sounds as though there has been a bit chopped off from the start.
Would this have benefited from the 1 - 2- 3 - 4 intro?


Well, it's actually complete as far as the instrumental part is concerned. If you listen closely to the original, you'll see that's where the piano actually starts, so I stuck with that. The count-in would leave a long silence :)

Could use the whole piano intro I suppose.. I'll think about it ;)

I agree with you, but, and I know it's just me, when I heard the 'Official edited 7" single', it grated because it just did not 'fit right' against the image in my head.
At least with a full piano intro - it would sound more complete to my ears.
That is not knocking your mix, just saying that it sounds 'weird' (to me) without it.



John, perhaps if you'll let me hear that 7" version I could recreate it in high-quality form for you, both karaoke/instrumental and vocal versions ;)


"No, no, no, no, no no no..."


:(

Nobody trusts me.


Silly, he's doing a Trott!

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 02:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ern2150 wrote:

<b><FONT SIZE=4>inu-liger</b> wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

<b><FONT SIZE=4>inu-liger</b> wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

J7 wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

Sounds as though there has been a bit chopped off from the start.
Would this have benefited from the 1 - 2- 3 - 4 intro?


Well, it's actually complete as far as the instrumental part is concerned. If you listen closely to the original, you'll see that's where the piano actually starts, so I stuck with that. The count-in would leave a long silence :)

Could use the whole piano intro I suppose.. I'll think about it ;)

I agree with you, but, and I know it's just me, when I heard the 'Official edited 7" single', it grated because it just did not 'fit right' against the image in my head.
At least with a full piano intro - it would sound more complete to my ears.
That is not knocking your mix, just saying that it sounds 'weird' (to me) without it.



John, perhaps if you'll let me hear that 7" version I could recreate it in high-quality form for you, both karaoke/instrumental and vocal versions ;)


"No, no, no, no, no no no..."


:(

Nobody trusts me.


Silly, he's doing a Trott!


What's a Trott?

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Final version (LOL)

flac:
http://www.mediafire.com/?flylg3xjn9y

mp3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?211btjkxymj

Sorry John, no extra intro on this one. I think I've finally got it the way I want it. But I'll listen again after a nap and who knows?

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4631 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><FONT SIZE=4>inu-liger</b> wrote:

ern2150 wrote:

<b><FONT SIZE=4>inu-liger</b> wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

<b><FONT SIZE=4>inu-liger</b> wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

J7 wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

Sounds as though there has been a bit chopped off from the start.
Would this have benefited from the 1 - 2- 3 - 4 intro?


Well, it's actually complete as far as the instrumental part is concerned. If you listen closely to the original, you'll see that's where the piano actually starts, so I stuck with that. The count-in would leave a long silence :)

Could use the whole piano intro I suppose.. I'll think about it ;)

I agree with you, but, and I know it's just me, when I heard the 'Official edited 7" single', it grated because it just did not 'fit right' against the image in my head.
At least with a full piano intro - it would sound more complete to my ears.
That is not knocking your mix, just saying that it sounds 'weird' (to me) without it.



John, perhaps if you'll let me hear that 7" version I could recreate it in high-quality form for you, both karaoke/instrumental and vocal versions ;)


"No, no, no, no, no no no..."


:(

Nobody trusts me.


Silly, he's doing a Trott!


What's a Trott?


Jim Trott - a charactor from a show called Vicar Of Dibley. He had a kind of speech impediment when it came to saying "no". Heres an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6JCUc1Pi3M


"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 19:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

J7 wrote:

Final version (LOL)...
Sorry John, no extra intro on this one. I think I've finally got it the way I want it.


J7: That is fine. Thank you.
I have no problem with that. I am really happy with the full piano intro mix you did for me - so I really appreciate the time and effort you took over it. However, that does not mean that you have to agree with me.

But, as I said before, at least you have created an option whereby those like me who prefer the fuller version have not been missed out.

That is what I think the spirit of Queenzone is all about. So again, thanks for the mix - but, it is good that we can agree to differ!




"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."