Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Works tour

forum rss feed
Author

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen's worst tour - bad sound, freddies voice suffers terribly, he looks unhealthy, clothes were terrible (both freddie and brian). Even the venues suck.

Thank fuck they rectified it for the Magic Tour.

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great setlists, though. Arguably the best they ever had.

I actually think the Magic Tour was one of their weaker ones.

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Couldn't agree more! VERY sloppy tour all around! Looked and played great a year later. They went out on top and in fine form!

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

Queen's worst tour - bad sound, freddies voice suffers terribly, he looks unhealthy, clothes were terrible (both freddie and brian). Even the venues suck.

Without a shadow of a doubt you are right!
One good thing about that tour tho was the lightin rig - what a cracker!

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was at a couple of Works shows and they were excellent -- VERY heavy. If anyone has heard Stone Cold Crazy live you will know what I mean. Shows were in Dublin, so I had to cross over to the dark side for a bit...

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
eiddref user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 08, 16:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saw them in Melbourne and was well pleased. Listening to the tape of the show 20 years later I was quite impressed. Freddie's voice in Killer Queen and Somebody to Love much lighter and crisper than Magic Tour. Seems as though Freddie yelled through much of 1986!

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 08, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

eiddref wrote:

Saw them in Melbourne and was well pleased. Listening to the tape of the show 20 years later I was quite impressed. Freddie's voice in Killer Queen and Somebody to Love much lighter and crisper than Magic Tour. Seems as though Freddie yelled through much of 1986!

Did you make photographs / recordings?
Would like to hear from you!

mrducksoup@hotmail.com

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 08, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

I was at a couple of Works shows and they were excellent -- VERY heavy. If anyone has heard Stone Cold Crazy live you will know what I mean. Shows were in Dublin, so I had to cross over to the dark side for a bit...

mrducksoup@hotmail.com

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 11 Feb 08, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

Holly2003 wrote:

mrducksoup@hotmail.com

No recording unfortunately but I have some pics and the original negatives are probably knocking about somewhere. Done with a fairly basic camera but there's one or two interesting ones. Will scan them and put them on the net when I get a chance.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 08, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

Think you mean the bright side! Maybe a dark side then, but look how the tides have turned!!

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 08, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

No recording unfortunately but I have some pics and the original negatives are probably knocking about somewhere. Done with a fairly basic camera but there's one or two interesting ones. Will scan them and put them on the net when I get a chance.

Excellent... looking forward to seeing them.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Mr Prime Jive user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 08, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nonetheless, I would love to have a pristine official 2xCD recording. They did it good for Montreal 81 & MK 82... And with this setlist, that would be a killer !!

What about Vienna or Wembley Arena ??

Who wants some prime jive ?
The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 08, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Prime Jive wrote:

Nonetheless, I would love to have a pristine official 2xCD recording.

The unofficial Birmingham 9-2-84 recording is pretty top notch.

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=796951

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Olegos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 08, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I disagree! Just listen for example to 1984 Brussel 24 August CONCERT. It is very energetic and great. Good voice and vocals from Freddie. Great new song It's a hard life...Freddie hit there all the high notes!!! Also Birmingham 1984...i'm going to listen to it wright now. And in 1985 Queen were very good live in BUdokan 05.09.1985!!! This is one of their MOST POWERFULL AND BEST CONCERTS!!! Freddies voice is fantastic.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 08, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How did Freddie look 'unhealthy' on The Works tour? Looked pretty healthy to me!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
BradJarre user not visiting Queenzone.com
BradJarre
Royalty: 1086 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 08, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well,If you compare him to live aid he looked puffed.
And the budokan 05,09(its on dvd i believe) is a very good one.

IF ANY ONE WANTS MY MSN ITS TOPGEAR1990@HOTMAIL.COM

I love cool edit pro.

Working on a tribute cd and need some input for songs from you:D

Olegos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 29 Feb 08, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No on the DVD is 11.05.1985.
But 09.05.1985 is WAY BETTER. Way better vocal performance. has some very high notes.
WORKS TOUR ROCKS! Best Setlist! =Crazy Tour.

BradJarre user not visiting Queenzone.com
BradJarre
Royalty: 1086 posts

Posted: 29 Feb 08, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well,on 11,05,85 he hits a D5 in the Impromptu.

IF ANY ONE WANTS MY MSN ITS TOPGEAR1990@HOTMAIL.COM

I love cool edit pro.

Working on a tribute cd and need some input for songs from you:D

louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 29 Feb 08, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

I recently saw Queen live in Japan 1985 DVD (The Works) tour. It was the worst concert by Queen I have ever witnessed. Freddie looked ridiculous in his stage outfit and was obviously having a bad night vocally. Roger Taylor kept playing this awful sounding electronic drum set on just about every song. It was quite annoying. Spike Edney’s synthesizers were all over the place and made their early songs sound stupid & very dated. I never thought I would ever say a live Queen show sucked, but that one certainly did. Had they brought that tour to the USA, they would have been booed off the stage!

Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 01 Mar 08, 03:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

louvox wrote:

una999 wrote:

I recently saw Queen live in Japan 1985 DVD (The Works) tour. It was the worst concert by Queen I have ever witnessed. Freddie looked ridiculous in his stage outfit and was obviously having a bad night vocally. Roger Taylor kept playing this awful sounding electronic drum set on just about every song. It was quite annoying. Spike Edney’s synthesizers were all over the place and made their early songs sound stupid & very dated. I never thought I would ever say a live Queen show sucked, but that one certainly did. Had they brought that tour to the USA, they would have been booed off the stage!

In the UK the Works tour got really good reviews, even from kerrang who were more into metal than what Queen were doing in the 80s. The reason for this is probably that the shows sounded great if you were there (and the reviewers were obviously "there"): it's a completely different experience to watching a badly mixed DVD 20 years later.