Forums > Queen - General Discussion > queens worst album?

forum rss feed
Author

bmay01 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 00:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

which albums worse flash gordon or hot space

walking true to style

shes vulgar buse and vile

fie-fo the black queen tatoos all her pies

she boils and she bakes

and she never dots her i s
ggooddrills user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 04:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apart from The Hero and Flash I only look at the album Flash Gordon as a soundtrack album and not a stand alone album. As a soundtrack album it works very well, in my opinion.
I don't think Hot Space is as bad as many people make out. Compared to any other Queen albums the music does sound a little dated in places, where as other Queen albums just seem to be timeless. I like the album a lot, it was one of my favourites at one point. Freddies vocals are fab throughout. If you try not to compare it to other Queen albums it's a good album in it's own right. If you view it along with the rest of the catalogue it shows the bands development and their willingness to try new things.
Love it or hate it, it's part of their history and a much welcome addition to my collection.

Rockindon2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 07:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Flash Gordon is a sndtrk release. A true one at that. It has been said that A Kind Of Magic is a sndtrk release but Flash is more so. Flash is a collection of short little snippets that are mostly built around sound effects that enhanse the scene of the movie.

It's somewhat unfair to compair it to a regular studio release.

I about crapped my drawrs when I heard Hot Space for the 1st time. I head the "disco" songs and was in shock. "What is this crap I'm hearing". YEARS later those disco songs are my faves off the record as the rest of the lp just doesn't have the drive.

There are good songs, Put Out The Fire, Action, ect. But the Lenon tribute song, Cool Cat, Words of Love, Calling All Girls are OK but they don't hit you like a usual Queen song does.

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 08:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with the above post but I was 16 when it came out and I was used to hearing Tie Your Mother Down, We WIll Rock You etc. then we got hit with Hot Space and I being one of the kids back then that idolized them, and still do, it was quite a drastic change from what we were used to getting from them. It made me kind of lose a little interest for a period but I never turned my back on them!

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4631 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For a long time I didnt like The Miracle. Infact I hated it. For me, it was Queen just going through the motions. When I first heard it, there wasnt as many outstanding tracks save for Breakthru, and I want It All. These days, I dont mind it as much.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Flash Gordon as a soundtrack album. I like Hot Space as well but I think the problem with that album is the engineering. The songs, for the most part, are well written. The instrumentation used is the weak area. I realize they were coming off The Game album trying to strip down their sound but Hot Space is a plateau in the Queen sound.

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"
Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Works for me.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hands down their worst offering is “A kind of magic”
I find this album to be absolutely boring & uninspired. It contains two of their all time worst songs “Pain is so close to pleasure & “One year of love”
They couldn’t even make up their mind whether this should have been a soundtrack or not. At least with “Hot space” they tried something different, but here they simply went through the motions and ended up sounding like any other Euro-trash-Synth-Band of that era. This album is a complete embarrassment. Even the cover art is a joke!

Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My top worst album list...

1. Flash Gordon (if you count it)
2. Miracle
3. Hot Space
4. A Kind of Magic
5. Jazz

wilk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Flash is OK for a soundtrack and fits in well with the movie, but it's not really worth more than one listen in its entirety.

The mistake with Hot Space was trying to do everything in house and not bring in a disco producer or someone who was used to making records with the sounds that Queen were chasing. The best parts are the most Queen sounding. Queen could take in other musical styles and use them in records but only to a point. Hot Space went too far.

Don't know which is worse. Both have serious flaws as albums.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3665 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

louvox wrote:

“Pain is so close to pleasure & “One year of love”

Don't forget 'dont lose your head'! 'One Year Of Love' has one of Freddies best ever vocals.

rschoorl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 127 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would have to say the Works, as it was the first album that was totally formulaic. Every song on that album has a previous Queen song as a reference point, ultimately the first Queen album with no new ideas.

rschoorl
Marcelo_argentina user not visiting Queenzone.com
Marcelo_argentina
Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

apart from Flash and Hot Space..the worst album is "A kind of Magic",(too weak, to pop) of course One Vision is fucking great....and.."One year of love" is a great song wiht Freddie best ever vocal, totally!

Bono Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Champipple wrote:

1. Flash Gordon (if you count it)
2. Miracle
3. Hot Space
4. A Kind of Magic
5. Jazz

Waht type of a Queen fan are you if you put A kind Of Magic and The Miricle in your worst top 5 list.

And All I Can Do Is Surrender.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Champipple wrote:

5. Jazz

i can't believe what i see....????
Jazz is full of excellent 3-4 min pop songs

dead on time / bicycle race / fatbottomed girls / dreamer's ball / jealousy / don't stop me now...this album is Queen's "Rubber Soul"

give it a real chance with no distractions...and turn it up loud

go deo na hÉireann
Fopjeflauwmopje user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the miracel and flat guy i think

i dont like flat guy becoase its only freddie merc. and no other queen memembers

i love freddie mercury and his band queen and i hate it when people spel his name wrong
Gr8 King Rat user not visiting Queenzone.com
go Cubs go!
Gr8 King Rat
Bohemian: 423 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A kind of magic by far is the worst album put out by Queen.

There are 2 good songs on there, One Vision and WWTLF...that's pretty much it.

And the artwork for the LP didnt help either. Awful. Everytime I see those blue characatures of the band i want to rip my eyeballs out.

Gr8 King Rat user not visiting Queenzone.com
go Cubs go!
Gr8 King Rat
Bohemian: 423 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry, double post.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

louvox wrote:

Hands down their worst offering is “A kind of magic”
I find this album to be absolutely boring & uninspired. It contains two of their all time worst songs “Pain is so close to pleasure & “One year of love”
They couldn’t even make up their mind whether this should have been a soundtrack or not. At least with “Hot space” they tried something different, but here they simply went through the motions and ended up sounding like any other Euro-trash-Synth-Band of that era. This album is a complete embarrassment. Even the cover art is a joke!

I totally agree with that.

AKOM is Queen's MOST BORING album. Really, I would rather listen to Flash Gordon and -ironically- Live Magic, back to back. At least I get to listen to the crowd of Knebworth there.

I used to find Jazz boring, but I thought the same about Queen II's black side, back when I only had the vinyl and I couldn't tell when one song began, long instrumentals, etc. Now I like them, of course.

But really... A Kind of Magic is DULL!

Regards,

JCW

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 08, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bmay01 wrote:

which albums worse flash gordon or hot space

AKOM... much worse than those two put together... at least tehy TRIED to do sth on FLASH and/or HOT SPACE... Every time I hear ONE YEAR or FRIENDS WILL BE... I can't believe musicians like Mercury or May could commit anything as bad...

mooghead wrote: 'One Year Of Love' has one of Freddies best ever vocals.

I disagree. Just because he hits the high notes doesn't mean his singing is great. he's overdoing it IMO... style over substance