forum rss feed
Author

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Feb 08, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yup, I'm interested in doing that. Until now, I gathered the following information:

- It's possible to play solos on both "E" strings, and 6-string chords (I intend to use a standard guitar, with a tune-o-matic bridge, rather than a custom-made violin-like bridge)
- The guitar will waste all the hair from the bow, so I should go for something really cheap rather than an expensive one
- It's possible to get all the hair replaced for new ones, but normally people pay someone to do the job
- It sounds much better with distortion and delay
- I can make the hair last longer by cleaning it with alcohol
- I can make the bow itself last longer by loosing the strings before putting it away, in order to reduce the stress on the wood

The good thing is, I found some quite cheap violin bows here in Brazil (they must be quite shitty, but I don't think I need the same thing used by people from the London Philharmonic Orchestra. ;), and also cheap hair (it's not real horse hair, though, it's artificial).

Now I need to know a couple of things:

- If I don't play anything really agressive, how many hours should the bow endure, roughly? If I use it, let's say, 1 hour every week, would it last at least a couple of months?
- Is it too difficult to replace the hair myself?
- Is there anything I can do to make it last longer?

And finally...

Is it (relatively) easy to make it sound good after some practice?

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 08, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I say 'ask Matias', you're going to hit me aren't you?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 08, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ask Jimmy Page.

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 08, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was told you also have to used a shit load of resin on the bow aswell to get it to work properly.

I did toy with idea myself, but I was told you'd go through alot of hair and resin doing it. So I looked at (and got) and Ebow instead!

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
Glen_Greenwood user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 08, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

David Jones wrote:

I was told you also have to used a shit load of resin on the bow aswell to get it to work properly.

I did toy with idea myself, but I was told you'd go through alot of hair and resin doing it. So I looked at (and got) and Ebow instead!

YOU ARE A LEWD, CRUDE, RUDE, NUDE, OBSCENE MORON

I can speak Portugese,French,English,Spanish, German,Russian and Swedish.
Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 08, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

If I say 'ask Matias', you're going to hit me aren't you?

Go on, Z . . . say it!

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 17 Feb 08, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd consider saying it. ^

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 17 Feb 08, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Glen_Greenwood wrote:

David Jones wrote:

YOU ARE A LEWD, CRUDE, RUDE, NUDE, OBSCENE MORON

Any constructive reason?

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
Stop this noise!
Raf

Posted: 17 Feb 08, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeb: He'd probably insult me because he knows where I got the inspiration from... ;)

Haystack: I wish I could! :P

David Jones: Yup, I also read that even when using it with a violin you need to put lots of resin on it. I'd love to get an EBow, but I never found it anywhere in my country, and it must be pretty expensive to order one. :\

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can get a used Ebow for around $60-70. I think it would be closer to what you're looking for. I don't know too much about violin strings, but I'm sure they're far different from guitar strings.

Here's a new one:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MIS-EBOW-LIST

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

Yup, I'm interested in doing that. Until now, I gathered the following information:

- It's possible to play solos on both "E" strings, and 6-string chords (I intend to use a standard guitar, with a tune-o-matic bridge, rather than a custom-made violin-like bridge)

Oi! Você é do Brasil, não? Posso responder em português? Meio cética a respeito dos acordes na guitarra. Acho que o arco, no caso, limitaria sua capacidade de fazer as harmonias, em vez de ampliá-la, a não ser que você treine horrores e consiga tornar o arco uma extensão do seu braço. É preciso de bastante treino. :op

- The guitar will waste all the hair from the bow, so I should go for something really cheap rather than an expensive one.

Sim, mas, como você está começando, nem precisa ser crina mesmo, pega um material sintético, de plástico ou nylon.

- It's possible to get all the hair replaced for new ones, but normally people pay someone to do the job

É possível, mas, creia-me, se o mantiver limpo, não precisará trocar com freqüência.

É? Eu não sei, acho que os dois efeitos são suficientemente bons sem a necessidade de usar o arco (é todo um novo treinamento que você precisa fazer, e isso representa consumo de tempo que poderia dedicar ao estudo da guitarra ou até de outros instrumentos).

O arco, tem de limpá-lo diariamente. A crina (ou outro material), com álcool desnaturado/denaturado. Não é o álcool puro, nem a sua cerva na geladeira (risos), mas o composto de etanol e metileno. É normalmente este composto que se usa.

- I can make the bow itself last longer by loosing the strings before putting it away, in order to reduce the stress on the wood

Sim, e tente aprender - se já não sabe - a aplicar menos força às cordas através da angulação correta. É o melhor para preservar o instrumento: não castigá-lo a golpes de marreta. Risos. O arco só dura se você limpá-lo sempre, com flanela e tudo mais. Todo ele. A crina, com aquele álcool. Pode até afrouxá-la um pouco do arco quando não estiver usando-o. Mas o principal é a técnica para evitar excesso de força aplicada às cordas e, conseqüentemente, ao arco.

- If I don't play anything really agressive, how many hours should the bow endure, roughly? If I use it, let's say, 1 hour every week, would it last at least a couple of months?

Dura bastante, mas você precisa ter a técnica, se não tem. É possível tirar sons agressivos sem tocar de maneira agressiva: é necessário saber angular direito o braço. De resto, limpeza: limpando, dura; seja guitarra, violino ou cello.

Mas a limpeza do arco tem de ser diária, e a da crina, com cuidado: pasta de dente ou algodão imersos no álcool, passando de comprido, de leve.

Não, mas, se você limpá-la direitinho, não será necessário trocá-la com tanta freqüência. ;-)))

Acho que três coisas:

1) Limpar o arco bem, com flanela, pano, etc.
2) Usá-lo corretamente: você não precisa exercer muita força sobre as cordas com o arco se aprender a angular corretamente o seu braço e o arco.
3) Limpar não só a crina, mas também o arco, sempre, depois de tocar. A crina, daquele jeito lá.
4) Quando não estiver usando, afrouxe a crina.

And finally...

Is

Yara
jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

huahuahua eu sou um viado...!!

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b>- Horsie Clarkson - wrote:

huahuahua eu sou um viado...!!

Mas isso a gente já sabia, né? xD

-Things Have Changed For Me-
jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mas eu agora sou mais viado do que antes ;)

xD

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
Stop this noise!
Raf

Posted: 19 Feb 08, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

<font color="lime">Raf840 wrote:

Oi! Você é do Brasil, não? Posso responder em português? Meio cética a respeito dos acordes na guitarra. Acho que o arco, no caso, limitaria sua capacidade de fazer as harmonias, em vez de ampliá-la, a não ser que você treine horrores e consiga tornar o arco uma extensão do seu braço. É preciso de bastante treino. :op

- The guitar will waste all the hair from the bow, so I should go for something really cheap rather than an expensive one.

Sim, mas, como você está começando, nem precisa ser crina mesmo, pega um material sintético, de plástico ou nylon.

É possível, mas, creia-me, se o mantiver limpo, não precisará trocar com freqüência.

É? Eu não sei, acho que os dois efeitos são suficientemente bons sem a necessidade de usar o arco (é todo um novo treinamento que você precisa fazer, e isso representa consumo de tempo que poderia dedicar ao estudo da guitarra ou até de outros instrumentos).

O arco, tem de limpá-lo diariamente. A crina (ou outro material), com álcool desnaturado/denaturado. Não é o álcool puro, nem a sua cerva na geladeira (risos), mas o composto de etanol e metileno. É normalmente este composto que se usa.

Sim, e tente aprender - se já não sabe - a aplicar menos força às cordas através da angulação correta. É o melhor para preservar o instrumento: não castigá-lo a golpes de marreta. Risos. O arco só dura se você limpá-lo sempre, com flanela e tudo mais. Todo ele. A crina, com aquele álcool. Pode até afrouxá-la um pouco do arco quando não estiver usando-o. Mas o principal é a técnica para evitar excesso de força aplicada às cordas e, conseqüentemente, ao arco.

Dura bastante, mas você precisa ter a técnica, se não tem. É possível tirar sons agressivos sem tocar de maneira agressiva: é necessário saber angular direito o braço. De resto, limpeza: limpando, dura; seja guitarra, violino ou cello.

Mas a limpeza do arco tem de ser diária, e a da crina, com cuidado: pasta de dente ou algodão imersos no álcool, passando de comprido, de leve.

Não, mas, se você limpá-la direitinho, não será necessário trocá-la com tanta freqüência. ;-)))

Acho que três coisas:

1) Limpar o arco bem, com flanela, pano, etc.
2) Usá-lo corretamente: você não precisa exercer muita força sobre as cordas com o arco se aprender a angular corretamente o seu braço e o arco.
3) Limpar não só a crina, mas também o arco, sempre, depois de tocar. A crina, daquele jeito lá.
4) Quando não estiver usando, a

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 08, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's a masterclass on how to use a violin in a guitar solo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClA0OcwJ-8E

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 08, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used a 50 cent coin as a slide once. My reason for not using an actual slide was because I didn't want people to see what I was using for the really high notes.

Counter-productive, really.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To all the eBow folks:

There is very little similarity between the sound produced by one of those gadgets and a genuine violin- cello- or double-bass bow.

To Raf: I don't mean to offend you, but would you please consider becoming proficient at the basics of guitar playing before hopping on?

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

Here's a masterclass on how to use a violin in a guitar solo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClA0OcwJ-8E

Haha... amazing. I never thought I'd laugh while watching a guitar solo!

Now that we're on the subject of Nigel, this one is just brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFEzk2VRXM

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Fopjeflauwmopje user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 08, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HEY RAFDDLJ840

IM GOING TO FUCK UP YOUR TOPICS TOO

i love freddie mercury and his band queen and i hate it when people spel his name wrong