Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Play the Game with Andy Gibb?

forum rss feed
Author

drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anybody know anything about this?

<i>There is said to be an unreleased take of the song ‘Play the Game’ by Queen with Andy Gibb singing the first verse. The circumstances are unknown. According to the same sources, the tape was found about 1990 in a search of Queen tape archives for bonus tracks for CD, but was not used. Since it has not been heard by any Queen collectors, its existence is somewhat doubtful. The released take without Andy was recorded between February and May 1980 (or possibly June or July 1979) and is on Queen’s album The Game, released in 1980.</i>

Andy didn't have the strongest voice in the world, and it would definitely be interesting to see how he and Freddie meshed on this one.

kestrel101 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I might be wrong, but I think I remember Greg Brooks saying it was basically all "a load of bollocks". Whether that means the story is "a load of bollocks", or any possible recording is "a load of bollocks" is probably up to the reader to decide.

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1562 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Word of this track dates back at least ten years. I first read about it on the Trainspotter's page. Here's the link:

http://www.pemcom.demon.co.uk/jason/songs/queen/game.htm

There, it's said it was confirmed by the US fan club, but I haven't heard of anyone who has actually heard it, let alone has even a snippet or crappy convention recording of it. Is the Trainspotter wrong? I hate to say that maybe he is (there is a lot of valuable information on his site, but a few errors as well). What we need, in order to know if this is real, is either:

a) a leaked copy of the track in some form.

b) the date of this US Fan Club confirmation and who exactly confirmed it.

c) Brian to say, "Yes, we did a take with Andy in the studio. He was was very nice."

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 8996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart (probably) has it, but don't even try to ask it from him :-)

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 5279 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John wouldn't spread it, but he'd surely confirm its existance if he had it.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 8996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

John wouldn't spread it, but he'd surely confirm its existance if he had it.


Quickly stolen from his ultimate collection thread :
Finally, YES: Play The Game – Andy Gibb version DOES exist!)


John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4177 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

John S Stuart (probably) has it, but don't even try to ask it from him :-)


Sorry chaps, but even I do not have this track.
However, it is certainly true that it did exist at one time - but I am not so sure if it still does.
I believe that 'The Game' master sessions (including the Gibb version) were stolen - and that this discovery was only realised about the time of the 5.1 DVD-A. In fact, some of bits of 'The Game' DVD-A had to be made up from alternative takes and new re-recordings.
So if it does exist - it is in some private collection by now - and who knows, may even end up as a Queenzone track of the month sometime!

On one hand, I am very disappointed that this was allowed to happen, but on the other hand, given how lax EMI are with their security (or QPL are with their own product), Hell mend them I say.


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1562 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Feb 08, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would be content with a description of the recording (is the backing track close to the album version? Are the lyrics different in any way? Overall would this be an early or a close-to-finished version?).

studyan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Feb 08, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes the track is somewhere thats what greg brooks said to me at the queen convention when it was a question and answer session, he said that it could either be in the american side of things as he hasnt managed to sift through everything yet and also there are lots of material which freddie has recorded which is in mary austins private collection but dont know if it will ever see the light of day but (when it comes to queen stuff) take it with a pinch of salt (been waiting 8yrs on queen boxset etc) probably get in in 2065



studyan
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4177 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Feb 08, 08:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Digital Manifest: It may well be in your private collection - who am I to say, but this session was recorded at EMI - and was stolen from EMI - so whoever you recieved a copy from was (how shall I put this) originally a thief.
I am not saying that you recieved it dishonestly, but the original thief above you - or your connection - did.

BTW: Three threads - To make one point.
I think you protest too much - and are more in fear of self-recrimination - than of any damage to Queenzone.

So Mr. Digital Manifest - what is the REAL story behind this bombardment?



"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 2210 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Feb 08, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Digital Manifest wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

pittrek wrote:

John S Stuart (probably) has it, but don't even try to ask it from him :-)


Sorry chaps, but even I do not have this track.
However, it is certainly true that it did exist at one time - but I am not so sure if it still does.
I believe that 'The Game' master sessions (including the Gibb version) were stolen - and that this discovery was only realised about the time of the 5.1 DVD-A. In fact, some of bits of 'The Game' DVD-A had to be made up from alternative takes and new re-recordings.
So if it does exist - it is in some private collection by now - and who knows, may even end up as a Queenzone track of the month sometime!

On one hand, I am very disappointed that this was allowed to happen, but on the other hand, given how lax EMI are with their security (or QPL are with their own product), Hell mend them I say.


What a load of smut! That session was not stolen at all, it was privately sold to an investor/Collector in the USA. I have a copy of this session.


If this was "privately sold" as you say, then by whom?? If EMI sold it cos they owned the physical tape it was recorded on, then they probably illegally sold material on that tape which was copyright owned by QPL. The other option is if QPL actually decided to sell it, which I just can't believe is the case when Brian hordes absolutely everything that he can.

If it was sold, I would also like to know what else would be on the tape, cos I'm sure that they wouldn't waste a whole reel on possibly a couple of demo takes of a 4 minute song.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Feb 08, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian in Amsterdam on April 30th 2002:
"Hello beautiful people of Amsterdam and of Holland"



"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4177 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Feb 08, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Digital Manifest wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

Digital Manifest: It may well be in your private collection (who am I to say, but this session was recorded at EMI - and was stolen from EMI - so whoever you recieved a copy from was (how shall I put this) originally a thief.
I am not saying that you recieved it dishonestly, but the original thief above you - or your connection - did.

BTW: Three threads - To make one point.
I think you protest too much - and are more in fear of self-recrimination - than of any damage to Queenzone.

So Mr. Digital Manifest - what is the REAL story behind this bombardment?


first off John, i am absolutely NOT in fear of self-reincriminating myself, i haven't done anything illegal, secondly, maybe my 'bombardment' is not as you call it? And lastly, i protest because for someone to steal something and give it away, utter crap! I am only relaying a message, that is it, none of my doings. As far as your comments about 'Brits' not using the term 'Nederlands', you are one off from that too, i was born, and raised in London, and didn't move to the USA until about 5 years ago, and i have always heard it as Nederlands and Netherlands, and why would someone of Brian's education and geographical smarts call it 'Holland' when that isn't a detailed answer? Trust what you will, but you will know what this is about in due time.


OK. Lets have a straw poll.
Hands up all those Queenzone UK residents who call Holland 'The NEDERLANDS?
Hands up all those Queenzone UK residents who believe Dr. May would call Holland 'The NEDERLANDS?

It is obvious you have some stolen material in your collection. With the 'release' of these 24 track 'Killer Queen' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody' tracks, I guess we all do too.
However, I did not originally steal either the master or the copies. I (like everyone else) am a bottom-feeder - but you are far closer to the original source than I am. Therefore you are not only more culpable - but have far more to lose than most.

So send me a private mail, or publically share, because once all this stuff hits e-bay (and it will) all Brian's aces will have been spent. Then he may as well stand at the sea-shore like King Canute and drown in his own vanity, because once the genie has been released, there is no way he will ever fit back into the bottle.

So Mr. Digital Manifest - what is the REAL story behind this bombardment?







"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4177 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Feb 08, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This latest reply contrdicts your above replies.
You can't even get your story straight.

You sir are a cheat and a liar and have been caught with your pants down.
Why don't you retire with some dignity intact?


"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Feb 08, 22:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

studyan wrote:

yes the track is somewhere thats what greg brooks said to me at the queen convention when it was a question and answer session, he said that it could either be in the american side of things as he hasnt managed to sift through everything yet and also there are lots of material which freddie has recorded which is in mary austins private collection but dont know if it will ever see the light of day but . . .


Another reason for people to stop loitering around her house and vandalizing her property.


I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.
We Are The Champions user not visiting Queenzone.com
We Are The Champions
Bohemian: 879 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

drwinston wrote:

Does anybody know anything about this?

<i>There is said to be an unreleased take of the song ‘Play the Game’ by Queen with Andy Gibb singing the first verse. The circumstances are unknown. According to the same sources, the tape was found about 1990 in a search of Queen tape archives for bonus tracks for CD, but was not used. Since it has not been heard by any Queen collectors, its existence is somewhat doubtful. The released take without Andy was recorded between February and May 1980 (or possibly June or July 1979) and is on Queen’s album The Game, released in 1980.</i>

Andy didn't have the strongest voice in the world, and it would definitely be interesting to see how he and Freddie meshed on this one.


As this is one of my least favourite songs by Freddie, Andy Gibb was welcome to it. Can't stand the song and always skip it on Milton Keynes DVD!!!. Absolute shit video as well.

Should have gone on Freddie's solo effort along with most of the other shit on that album with the exception of maybe Made In Heaven!! - the reworked version is much, much better and should have been released as a single.


We all of us deeply apologise for this god forsaken shit heap of a building...but we will make it rock.

Brian May Wembley Pavilion 11.05.05.