Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Defending Yourself As A Queen Fan

forum rss feed
Author

Roger Meadows Tailor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 330 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder,have any of you guys or women ever been in a position where you've had to defend yourself as a Queen fan.

I'll give you an example.

One time i was in a pub in England and i happened to say i was a Queen fan when this guy come up to me and challenged me.He deduced that as Freddie Mercury was gay,he was also a paedophile and since i was a fan of his so i was the same.Naturally i cemented the c**t for having the audacity to say such a thing to me.Total spark out

Queen fan=homosexual=paedophile.Has anybody else been accused of this?Seriously

Memories my memories

How long can you stay

to haunt my days.
steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, these things happen from time to time. However, I know I'm an individual with moral values that most others don't share, so I never take it too personally. You have to understand that there are people out their who are immature even well into their 40's. They have their own insecurities while I'm comfortable with who I am. Therefore, I feel no need to defend myself from an idiot, or ridicule someone else for something or another. It's a waste of my time and breath. If anything, I'll have a smart remark like "Pardon your rudeness, but your breath is horrid this evening."

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
-fatty- 2850 user not visiting Queenzone.com
-fatty- 2850
Deity: 2029 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been accused of being a paedophile before but it had nothing to do with being a Queen fan. Mind you, the 14 naked children I had chained together in the cellar didn't do a lot to help my case either.

fatty.

Queen+me user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i've been called gay before because i was a queen fan but also this was coming from a guy that thought that brian roger john and freddie were all gay but i also live in northern saskatchewan in like a hick town so go figure

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fatty wrote:

I've been accused of being a paedophile before but it had nothing to do with being a Queen fan. Mind you, the 14 naked children I had chained together in the cellar didn't do a lot to help my case either.

fatty.

Hey fatty,

How do you f*ck a 9 year old between her breasts?

smash in her rib cage

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
BradJarre user not visiting Queenzone.com
BradJarre
Royalty: 1086 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ my school there are kids and they say:Queen is gewoon een lompe zak en die vent is een homo.
Or in english: Queen is a jerk and the guy is gay.

IF ANY ONE WANTS MY MSN ITS TOPGEAR1990@HOTMAIL.COM

I love cool edit pro.

Working on a tribute cd and need some input for songs from you:D

guitarist319 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The band I am in has a couple members who oppose Queen's music because Freddie was gay. I stand my ground with these gentlemen, of course. So far, Fat Bottomed girls is being added to our set list. I intend to add a medley similar to the one Queen did live. I did it in the last band I was in, and it shocked the hell out of the audience. I mean that in a positive way.

Seriously....you go to hear a live band in a local bar, you expect Bob Seger and REO Speedwagon, but who the hell has the balls to even attempt Queen?

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

there are far more important things than defending yourself as a queen fan...this is a bizarre thread....

who cares what people think? let em love/hate whatever they like for whatever reason they choose to do so - that's free will, as is yours to like whatever band you like, regardless of sexuality (yours, the opposers or the bands)

just get over it

FOOTNOTE:

this month my aunt died and was cremated and my brother has been diagnosed with stomach cancer...and THIS TOPIC is important?

go deo na h√Čireann
TerrorOfKnowing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a couple of friends who are supposedly real metal heads who have insulted me when I say Queen is my favorite band. They said Queen were weak, Freddie's voice was too flowery and that they really couldn't even be called a rock band ... so I burned one of them a copy of Queen II and it pretty much shut him up, lol.

And If I'm Very Slow, She Makes Me So...
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I went through all that shit back in the 70's and because Freddie was doing his bisexual shtick back then naturally the kids in my school dismiised him and the band. But I stood my ground and bought every album up to that point which was at the time of NOTW. Still a fan to this day. I can't believe some of you fans here actually have to deal with such jerks. I thought it was just the older fans that went through this when the band was still together and touring and recording. It amazes me that there are people out there that hate Queen but will go crazy at a sporting event when We Are THe Champions is played or even We Will ROck You!

Hayek Eva user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hayek Eva
Bohemian: 137 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=FF0033 face=symbol>Freddie wrote:

Yes, these things happen from time to time. However, I know I'm an individual with moral values that most others don't share, so I never take it too personally. You have to understand that there are people out their who are immature even well into their 40's. They have their own insecurities while I'm comfortable with who I am. Therefore, I feel no need to defend myself from an idiot, or ridicule someone else for something or another. It's a waste of my time and breath. If anything, I'll have a smart remark like "Pardon your rudeness, but your breath is horrid this evening."

You have absolutely right!I agree with you.

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, Roger!

How are you? Hope you're doing fine.

Hm, I used to do it on a daily basis, I guess. lol

Whenever people here "catched" me listening to Queen, well, I had to do some explaining. lol
I was supposed to be listening to other stuff, which I do, much more than Queen, but people wouldn't let me be queenie in peace: if it's not the most obscure and complex composer who never had any of his stuff recorded, it's trash, that's how basically most people - very nice people, it's in no way a critique - here think if you add some more composers there. Beethoven is trash, for example, I don't even start arguing about that because people write dissertations to prove that it's trash; not only trash as music, but also a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy, as the guy in that movie says.

And there are only the composers because, in their minds, no one has been able to render their works correctly. So, there's a pianist here, good friend of mine, who thinks Marc-André Hamelin is a fad and that his 7 yeard old son plays better than the guy. What can I say? If the guy is waiting for the Messias, that's cool. He's frustrated that he listened to all those who are considered the top virtuosos and they all make mistakes, even silly mistakes, in recitals. So he thinks it's all trash. The way he entertains himself, I'm serious, is by listening to the music in his mind. I'm serious. And it's true, he does that. He's able to sight-read the most complex scores you can imagine. And he listens to stuff in his mind, with joy. 90 % of the time the guitar, the bass or the piano aren't right either, so the guy has to start building his own instrument or improving the one he already has.

This dear - we have a very close friendship, despite the way I portray him; he does the same with me, I'm sure lol - friend happens to find me listening to Queen.

Well...he's also my professor, so...you know, it's complicated.

The guy is the real deal. It's not arguing about Freddie being gay; it's about arguing whether Queen is trash or music, and then things got rough and the discussions were usually bitter and wild. lol

We used to argue a whole lot. Nowadays, he just says: "Ok, Queen is trash, and you like it, that's great, you should listen much more to it in fact, it gives you joy", and so on. So, it's ok if I like Queen, as long as I accept that it's trash.

I used to argue a lot about this kind of thing. My friend is very knowledgeable and, dear me, he plays many instruments much better than anyone I have ever listened to. He can't create music, he admits to that, but he knows how to get you to understand and enjoy it WITHOUT LISTENING TO IT. It's crazy stuff, but in fact it's quite good as a means of learning and education. You do get schizo with time and start to listen to music in your mind, but it's a real joy.

That being said, my problem is discussing Queen with people who THINK they are technically proficient in music. That's where I tend to lose my patience and I just walk away. I study music since I was 3 and sometimes it's just irritating to listen to people talk as if they knew anything at all about what they're saying.

I don't have any problem with people enjoying music without knowing it more deeply. In fact, I envy these people, because they have a kind of experience I'm no longer able to have. I envy and respect them. That's a shared view I have with my friend: knowing, and thinking too much, is a disease, and in a certain way we have both poisoned ourselves to the point of being unable to experience music in a significant meaningful way.

What I can't stand is people wanting to discuss Liszt TECHNICALLY in order to show off but without:

1) Being able to play flawlessly all his most relevant works, which is a lot; by flawlessly I mean a decent rendtion of the piece, without technical blunders and so on and WITH a good insight about how the piece should be played, that is, being a

Yara
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, I've never had to defend myself as a Queen fan.

That's just stupid.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TerrorOfKnowing wrote:

I have a couple of friends who are supposedly real metal heads who have insulted me when I say Queen is my favorite band. They said Queen were weak, Freddie's voice was too flowery and that they really couldn't even be called a rock band ... so I burned one of them a copy of Queen II and it pretty much shut him up, lol.

fuck them! im as much as a metal head you could possibly be and Queen is my fave band ever even though i listen mostly just to brutal death metal.

calling queen weak? i would throw them in a vulcano if i could

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One time Chuck Liddell started giving me stick about how gay John Deacon was and I unleashed hell on him right there and then. It didn't even last 10 seconds. If Randy Couture was ever to come round my house and start mouthing off about Brian May's fruity perm he would get it too --Satan's right hook, right upside the head. I would then stuff his already decomposing corpse into a volcano, or possibly a hole that had been opened up by an earthquake or maybe a meteor hit.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

One time Chuck Liddell started giving me stick about how gay John Deacon was and I unleashed hell on him right there and then. It didn't even last 10 seconds. If Randy Couture was ever to come round my house and start mouthing off about Brian May's fruity perm he would get it too --Satan's right hook, right upside the head. I would then stuff his already decomposing corpse into a volcano, or possibly a hole that had been opened up by an earthquake or maybe a meteor hit.

Duuuuuuuude!! Way??

;)

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Yara.Its Brian.

Thank you for answering my post.

I wondered if this was just a male thing or if females experienced this too.Ok the guy whom accosted me may have been living in the past with his comments but to me he was very real and needed to be dealt with as he was in my face in an aggressive manner.Nothing else to it.He had to be dealt with.I am definitely against violence for reasons i've explained in my last email to you.Yes it was wrong but there was no way i could see to avoid it at the time.Not when theres a guy menacingly close to your face,spoiling for a fight himself,i might add.

I guess i'm wrong.

Memories my memories

How long can you stay

to haunt my days.

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

there are far more important things than defending yourself as a queen fan...this is a bizarre thread....

who cares what people think? let em love/hate whatever they like for whatever reason they choose to do so - that's free will, as is yours to like whatever band you like, regardless of sexuality (yours, the opposers or the bands)

just get over it

FOOTNOTE:

this month my aunt died and was cremated and my brother has been diagnosed with stomach cancer...and THIS TOPIC is important?

Brenski

Yes i do agree with you in respect of your aunt and your brother.Please accept my condolences.
A topic like this pales into insignificance when compared to that.
But after all it is only a topic.I was just wondering if anybody else had experienced the same sort of thing.Thats all.Thank you for answering,my friend

Memories my memories

How long can you stay

to haunt my days.
Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, perhaps you shouldn't have chained them. That was probably what gave you away.

fatty wrote:

fatty.

It is all random
Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 08, 19:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am so sorry for your loss.

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

just get over it

FOOTNOTE:

It is all random