Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Hey remember queen before internet??

forum rss feed
Author

Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello fellow fans of the best group in the world queen obviously!!! i was thinking about the times when hearing something new from queen was a BIG deal before we had internet.

This is more aimed at the older generation but not just them the younger generation will have opinions, i would love to know how you felt about hearing a new queen single on the radio and did you tape it on cassette until it was released on vinyl.

I know i did and the only access to what queen were doing was fan club magazines and you would revel in having these mags every 3months or so just to have something to wait for, and i remember Recording 'one vision' on VCR and playing it over and over and of course with AKOM VIDEOS and THE MIRACLE VIDEOS as well.

And the biggie was the ALBUM getting it on the DAY of release and listening to it countless times AHHHH!!! THOSE WERE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES!!.

Anyone with similar to tell.

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember the weekend ritual of ringing up the Fan Club to hear whatever news Jacky had left on the answerphone message.

I'm pretty sure that the first public airing of Heaven For Everyone was on her answerphone one weekend. Exciting times...

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
NickName user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohardy wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the first public airing of Heaven For Everyone was on her answerphone one weekend. Exciting times...

At least the first public airing of Radio GaGa was there by mid January 1984... two weeks before the single was released....

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DAVIDBRENDAM wrote:

Hello fellow fans of the best group in the world queen obviously!!! i was thinking about the times when hearing something new from queen was a BIG deal before we had internet.

This is more aimed at the older generation but not just them the younger generation will have opinions, i would love to know how you felt about hearing a new queen single on the radio and did you tape it on cassette until it was released on vinyl.

I know i did and the only access to what queen were doing was fan club magazines and you would revel in having these mags every 3months or so just to have something to wait for, and i remember Recording 'one vision' on VCR and playing it over and over and of course with AKOM VIDEOS and THE MIRACLE VIDEOS as well.

And the biggie was the ALBUM getting it on the DAY of release and listening to it countless times AHHHH!!! THOSE WERE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES!!.

Yes i agree, that's why bands these days will never be a Queen or Beatles again. There are too many other outlets...internet...

These days there's a big news story every day and nothing sounds good. Suppose the world has moved on. Those decades were a once off in that Queen were just around at the right time to capatilise on technology changes and now look whats happened - too much information these days!

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember actually having to buy singles to hear b-sides. ;-)

Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

I remember actually having to buy singles to hear b-sides. ;-)

Or paying lotta fucking money for a bootleg/pirate CD to hear some rarities (circa 1992/1993)

;-)

Christl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

going to the bookstore every week and go through all the magazines hoping for some news or pictures.........

Roger Meadows Tailor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 330 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DAVIDBRENDAM wrote:

Yea David.

I remember release dates of singles or albums i used to standing queueing outside record shops at least an hour before they opened.Then the journey home on the bus.It was ritualistic.Opening up the album.Reading the sleevenotes cover to cover.Even reading the record label.Does anybody ever remember doing that.Even admiring the brand new pristine virgin vinyl.Better still when you got home and you heard the brand new sounds.You played it and played it until at the end of the day you nearly knew all the songs already.

I even queued for the Japanese releases.How mad is that.:-)

Good happy post.Cheers David

Memories my memories

How long can you stay

to haunt my days.
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohardy wrote:

I remember the weekend ritual of ringing up the Fan Club to hear whatever news Jacky had left on the answerphone message.

I used to do that! I had forgotten all about that until you mentioned it.

Gratzi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 594 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Imagine being a Queen fan in communist Romania with the secret police always watching your every move. Luckily for some that owned a radio set there was Radio Free Europe. These guys used to play the most important records that would come out. This is my dad's experience as a teenager and a Queen fan: it was back in 1978 when Jazz came out and of course he was very excited, but he did not have a radio set, so one of the neighbours placed his on his balcony so my dad could listen. It was an amazing experience for him, and he still remembers that first time he heard Bicycle Race, altough he didn't understand a word. :D
We take a lot of things for granted these days.

'Known for the hugeness of my gong' - Roger
radio_what's_new user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=gray>Gratzi wrote:

Imagine being a Queen fan in communist Romania with the secret police always watching your every move. Luckily for some that owned a radio set there was Radio Free Europe. These guys used to play the most important records that would come out.

And our dutch hero Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema was the director of radio free europe, but that's a different story....

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me? I grew up at the height of Queen's reign here in the States and it was ALWAYS a really exciting feeling when you heard a new song for the first time. "Rock You" and "Champions" started it all off. But I remember when I first heard "Crazy Little Thing Called LOve" on the radio. It was around Christmas 1979 and it was so much fun to hear it for the first time. You had to stay tuned in to the radio and wait for it to be played. One of the most exciting things was hearing the radio promos for their tours. I had a recording of one for the Providence show in 78 for the Jazz tour but sadly it's long gone. Those were the days when you really depended on the radio for your information.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What the fuck is the internet?

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
queentel user not visiting Queenzone.com
I dont like Queen + PR

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was a serial taper, i hold my hands up, i was given a tape way back in 1987, which was a mix of Queen from a very dear friend of mine, ( i wonder what he is doing now? ) anyways, i have never looked back.

Thefairytellersmasterstroke

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DAVIDBRENDAM wrote:

Hi David again.

I

Memories my memories

How long can you stay

to haunt my days.

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DAVIDBRENDAM wrote:

Hi David again.

I can remember having to record The hammersmith Odeon gig on mono tape.Does anybody remember that.Brilliant.

Memories my memories

How long can you stay

to haunt my days.
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember being a member of the fanclub to get info and tickets for Brians '98 tour. Internet was there already but it was all very new and not available for everyone...

Also remember videotaping MTV's Queen weekend in 1995. Great! Never saw most of the videoclips they showed. Also the original Made In Heaven commercial was shown. One of the first things I traded.

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DAVIDBRENDAM wrote:

Hi David again.

I can remember having to record The hammersmith Odeon gig on mono tape.Does anybody remember that.Brilliant.

Memories my memories

How long can you stay

to haunt my days.
Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes roger meadows tailor i also used to do that i vividly remember the xmas75 gig on radio 1 in concert series and i had a c120 cassette (fuck remember them) and i managed to tape the whole gig including the encore.

Great days man i still have tapes of queen from the 80's interviews and stuff they are mementoes of my younger years.

Great to hear all your thoughts.

Keep em coming!

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

eiddref user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 08, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember being very familiar with the works of Quiet Riot, Queensryche, Quarterflash and Suzi Quatro. At least the covers of their albums in that section of the store!