Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Authors ?

forum rss feed
Author

queenfanbg user not visiting Queenzone.com
queenfanbg
Bohemian: 305 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Feb 08, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Queen are: Freddie Mercury,Roger Taylor, John Deacon and Brian May"
queenfanbg

Posted: 26 Feb 08, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry,but i cant find it:who was the authors of the "Miracle" and Innuendo" songs,especially of "You Don't Fool Me" ?

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 08, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Party - Freddie (chiefly), with Brian and John

Khashoggi's - Freddie (probably), although lyrics could've been by all four

Miracle - Freddie on music (some help by John in the beginning), all four on lyrics

I Want It All - Brian

Breakthru - Intro by Fred, rest by Rog

Invisible Man - Roger

Rain Must Fall - John, lyrics by Freddie

Scandal - Brian (chiefly, at least)

My Baby Does Me - Freddie and partly John

Was It All Worth It - Freddie (music), and lyrics by all four

Innuendo - Freddie (music, after an idea by the other three), lyrics by Freddie and Roger

Slightly Mad - Freddie (lyrics by Freddie & Peter Straker)

Headlong - Brian

I Can't Live With You - Brian, originally called 'I Can't Live Without You'

Don't Try So Hard - Freddie

Ride the Wild Wind - Roger

All God's People - Freddie (credited to Queen/Moran but registered as Deacon/May/Mercury/Taylor)

Days of Our Lives - Roger

The Hitman - Freddie

Bijou - Freddie (guitar parts) and Brian (vocal parts). Yes, it's Freddie (guitar parts) and Brian (vocal parts), I didn't mix them up.

Show Must Go On - Brian (after an idea by Roger and John and with some minor lyrical contributions by Freddie)

Beautiful Day - Freddie

Winter's Tale - Freddie

You Don't Fool Me - Freddie & Roger

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
ITSM user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 08, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Brian May wrote "The Hitman".

I downloaded him singing the song, and I read that Brian sang the song to show Freddie how it was...?

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
Sebastian

Posted: 26 Feb 08, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I suppose the version you've got isn't actually Brian singing the song, but Brian singing one minute of the song (ca 25%), which doesn't necessarily mean he wrote the two verses he's singing there, let alone the rest of the track.

But I admit that one's always been a coloured area (not even grey). It wouldn't be the first time that Fred wrote a heavy thing, but otoh it would definitely be the first time Bri sings all backing vocals in a song by Mercury (which still doesn't mean it's impossible).

Comments from people involved were vague: in one interview, Dr May (Sunset Strip, 1991) said that Fred had composed most of the riff, Brian wasn't even in the room back then, but then he took the song under his wing, and the finished version had very little to do with the original one. If so (and overlooking what he said about John organising the structure, which enters in the 'arrangement' area IMO), then it could, for some extent, be a similar case as Rog writing 'Ga Ga' after what his toddler son said.

Another interview (coming from 1991 as well) has Brian saying that it had mixed approaches or something like that, and he didn't actually credit it to anybody.

In late 2001, producer David Richards said he'd got two different memories: one of Brian writing it, and one of Freddie doing so.

Thus, it's still a complicated matter. It's definitely NOT 100% by either.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
queenfanbg

Posted: 27 Feb 08, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thank you very much :)

andres_clip user not visiting Queenzone.com
Coolest Cat
andres_clip
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 08, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You dont fool me was not even a song before David Richards started to pull some strings,it was made up after Freddie died...

Black Queen marches
Sebastian

Posted: 27 Feb 08, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cambridge Dictionary defines 'song' as:

"A usually short piece of music with words which are sung"

And it defines 'music' as:

"A pattern of sounds made by musical instruments, singing or computers, or a combination of these, intended to give pleasure to people listening to it"

So... as long as YDFM had words and melody, it was already a song, before Freddie died.

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 08, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian....I noticed you left 'Delilah' out of the track-listing for 'Innuendo'.

It's never been on any of my homemade cassettes or CDr's as well. Doubt Roger's ever given it a listen since '91 as well.

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 08, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 08, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Another interview (coming from 1991 as well) has Brian saying that it had mixed approaches or something like that, and he didn't actually credit it to anybody."

I never heard that interview, but this has always been my theory on the song. And that would also explain why Brian sings that peticular demo. Brian did his approach of the idea Freddie had, and sang it to explain his idea to the rest of the gang

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 08, 18:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goodco wrote:

Sebastian....I noticed you left 'Delilah' out of the track-listing for 'Innuendo'.

Thats probably because Delilah deserves to be covered up. We, as lovers of Queen music, should deny the excistence of this terrible song

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Sebastian

Posted: 28 Feb 08, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd honestly forgotten about that.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 08, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love 'Delilah', could of been a number one hit, if only it was released as a single, in America. :-D

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Sebastian

Posted: 28 Feb 08, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If 'Macanera' and 'YMCA' were such big hits in the US, then 'Delilah', 'Dyer Maker' and 'Don't Bother Me' probably could've sold over 10 million copies in the US alone ;)