Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Roger Taylor solo albums

forum rss feed
Author

gem27 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi I would just appreciate any feedback from people here who can rate either good, bad or average, Roger Taylor's solo albums especially Fun In Space and Strange Frontier but the later ones also. Are any good or bad? Are they much like the Queen stuff? I haven't ever heard anything from those albums I just mentioned and just a few songs from Electric Fire.

Jeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lots of people hate me for my opinion on Roger's solo stuff. Most people like these albums because we are fans, but if you would review these as a non-fan... I'm afraid there is not a single one that stands out.

Fun in Space - Dreadfull album, though cool to Queen fans who can handle some 'cult'-esque riffing.

Strange Frontier - Mediocre album, some good songs but also some dreadfully silly tunes.

Shote it - Piece of crap from the first to the last second.

Mad Bad and Dangerous to know - pretty okay rock album, unfortunately doesn't sound as great anymore as it did in the time it came out.

Blue Rock - Great record. Only one or two less good songs - PLUS some of the very best Roger 'solo'-efforts ever put to vinyl.

Happiness? - Roger's finest real solo-album. Coherend, some great compositions (thanks to Yoshiki a.o.) and not too many bad songs ;-)

Electric Fire - terrifyingly simplistic. Best track is a cover.

Oh, right, and 'no', nothing Roger ever did solo comes even close to sounding like anything done with Queen.

Roger AAAAAHHHH!
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeroen wrote:

Oh, right, and 'no', nothing Roger ever did solo comes even close to sounding like anything done with Queen.

This is a very subjective matter, it depends on what one would qualify as "close to sounding".

That said, I would think many of Roger's songs have a Queen feeling to them. Not to mention Heaven for Everyone, from the top of my head come New Dark Ages, No More Fun and Happiness. I am sure there are many more, this is just what I remember right now.

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fun In Space dreadful? His best by far. No cheesy songs, like on his last two (too much emotional stuff for me and Freddie-I-miss-you-so-much crap)

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

princetom user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

personally i like "happiness" the most for it's relaxed mood. there are quite some good compositions on it and the songs themselves fit good together.

strange frontier and fun in space are imo. some 80s crap and barely worth listening except for one or two songs like "man on fire", "strange frontier" or it's an illusion (which features rick parfitt from status quo, with whom rog sat in jail on menorca at this time :-) ).

'shove it' and 'electric fire' are very sample-based. you can state several samples for being remixed in a particially odd way. some people don't like that stuff. it's quite experimental and less 'deep' than any queen stuff. maybe you can compare the style with the 46664-stuff production-wise. quite some good songs on both of them.

"mad bad..." is a good rock album with less roger influence as most of the songs were finished as roger first enters the studio

"blue rock" ? grab it, buy it, love it.

hope this helps a little.

prince[tOM]
Jeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

princetom wrote:

personally i like "happiness" the most for it's relaxed mood. there are quite some good compositions on it and the songs themselves fit good together.

strange frontier and fun in space are imo. some 80s crap and barely worth listening except for one or two songs like "man on fire", "strange frontier" or it's an illusion (which features rick parfitt from status quo, with whom rog sat in jail on menorca at this time :-) ).

'shove it' and 'electric fire' are very sample-based. you can state several samples for being remixed in a particially odd way. some people don't like that stuff. it's quite experimental and less 'deep' than any queen stuff. maybe you can compare the style with the 46664-stuff production-wise. quite some good songs on both of them.

"mad bad..." is a good rock album with less roger influence as most of the songs were finished as roger first enters the studio

"blue rock" ? grab it, buy it, love it.

hope this helps a little.

Wow! Finally I found someone that agrees! ;-)

Roger AAAAAHHHH!
paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 659 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They are all pretty awful. Most of Roger Taylor's Solo records are weak (don't get me started on the cross) lyrics are full of dreadful rock cliches and as with the other members of the group, their solo releases are nothing compared to their collaborative efforts.

Don't shun it!
louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have heard all of Mr. Taylor’s solo records and own all but “The Cross” stuff.
In my opinion none of his solo recordings stand out. “The Cross records do absolutely nothing for me and I find them quite boring and dated. His best effort is probably “Happiness?”
Most of his solo songs sound like Queen rejects. I never though Roger Taylor was ever that good of a songwriter anyway. Of all the songs he has recorded with Queen and solo, his best are “I’m in love with my car”, “Coming soon” and “Say it’s not true”
Really none of their solo records I would consider as “good” Brian May’s “Back to the light” is probably the best of the bunch with Freddie’s “Mr. Bad Guy” as the worst.

Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fun In Space, Blue Rock and Happiness are great ones. Shove It is not.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

paulsmith2001 wrote:

They are all pretty awful. Most of Roger Taylor's Solo records are weak (don't get me started on the cross) lyrics are full of dreadful rock cliches and as with the other members of the group, their solo releases are nothing compared to their collaborative efforts.

Sorry, but Roger's solo efforts are great. The only other solo release that is better is Barcelona.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger Taylor:

I love Fun In Space. Yes, it's quite a basic rockalbum, but I love the 'feel' of the album. I've posted this before - I wish they'd release a collectors edition of this album with the original album and a second disc of extras (demo's, outtakes etc).

Side one of Strange Frontier is great, though a bit dated. Side two sucks, though I Cry For You has some nice bits.

Happiness? Very laid back feel. Nice album to put on, though the tracks all sound the same (except Nazis & Foreign Sand). Recommended.

Electric Fire - loved it when it came out in 1998 - nowadays I think it's a bit boring. Pressure On and Surrender are great - the rest is Roger Taylor on the auto-pilot. Still waaaaay better than Strange Frontier.

1 - Fun In Space
2 - Happiness
3 - Electric Fire
4 - Strange Frontier

The Cross:

Shove It. Sucks. Avoid at all costs, unless you're into cheesy 80's synthrock.

Mad Bad. Mostly MOTR-80's rock, but with quite a few cool riffs/bits (Old Friends, Sister Blue, PG).

Blue Rock. Recommended. Life Changes and New Dark Ages make it worth the price-tag alone.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bad Attitude is my fav from The Cross.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

gem27 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you all for your input. I wasn't meaning the albums he did with The Cross anyway. I haven't heard any Cross stuff either but nor would I want to. The person that said 80's crap I can believe that. That was just the time we were in. All music sounds dated now that was made in the 80's.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

paulsmith2001 wrote:

Sorry, but Roger's solo efforts are great. The only other solo release that is better is Barcelona.

Oh God, do I dare?

Sorry Pieter, but Barcelona is horrid. In fact, ask any classical music lover to give it a spin, and they'll give it back after about 3 songs. If you want PROOF of that, take a look at Montserrat's work of art. Barcelona was an effort to gain some younger fans, but only that. She does not consider it a serious piece of work, as say her Marriage of Figaro release, and neither do her biographers.

As for Roger's first two solos (which are the only ones I have), I keep thinking I need a new needle for my record player... then I realize I'm playing CDs!!!

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

PieterMC wrote:

paulsmith2001 wrote:

Oh God, do I dare?

Sorry Pieter, but Barcelona is horrid. In fact, ask any classical music lover to give it a spin, and they'll give it back after about 3 songs. If you want PROOF of that, take a look at Montserrat's work of art. Barcelona was an effort to gain some younger fans, but only that. She does not consider it a serious piece of work, as say her Marriage of Figaro release, and neither do her biographers.

I really don't care what you or some classical music lovers think.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger's solo albums are fucking great.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's best to pick out single tracks from Roger's solo albums:

No Violins
Let's Get Crazy
Man On Fire
Strange Frontier
Touch The Sky
Foreign Sand (brilliant vocal performance - the best song he's ever written, in my opinion)
Old Friends
Pressure On
A Nation Of Haircuts
No More Fun

As for The Cross, overall they were pretty derivative, and probably wouldn't have gotten any exposure had one of their members not been from Queen. Final Destination, New Dark Ages, and Life Changes are worth a listen, but that's about it.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

Roger Taylor:

I love Fun In Space. Yes, it's quite a basic rockalbum, but I love the 'feel' of the album. I've posted this before - I wish they'd release a collectors edition of this album with the original album and a second disc of extras (demo's, outtakes etc).

Side one of Strange Frontier is great, though a bit dated. Side two sucks, though I Cry For You has some nice bits.

Happiness? Very laid back feel. Nice album to put on, though the tracks all sound the same (except Nazis & Foreign Sand). Recommended.

Electric Fire - loved it when it came out in 1998 - nowadays I think it's a bit boring. Pressure On and Surrender are great - the rest is Roger Taylor on the auto-pilot. Still waaaaay better than Strange Frontier.

1 - Fun In Space
2 - Happiness
3 - Electric Fire
4 - Strange Frontier

The Cross:

Shove It. Sucks. Avoid at all costs, unless you're into cheesy 80's synthrock.

Mad Bad. Mostly MOTR-80's rock, but with quite a few cool riffs/bits (Old Friends, Sister Blue, PG).

Blue Rock. Recommended. Life Changes and New Dark Ages make it worth the price-tag alone.

I'll just cut and paste the above because that's exactly how I feel about Roger's solo(ish) material. "Fun in Space" is a great album and my favorite Roger work outside of Queen.

DavidRFuller user not visiting Queenzone.com
DavidRFuller
Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I prefer Roger's solo stuff over Brian and Freddie's. I would have to say Shove It is my favorite. I'm not kidding. It's just....different, and most Queen fans just can't accept that. It's a little dated, but that is no excuse to call it crap. Fun In Space is probably my second favorite, Future Management is absolutely fucking brilliant.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gem27 wrote:

All music sounds dated now that was made in the 80's.

Generally, you're right, as 80s production tend to make that period of music sound more dated than a lot of 70s stuff. But here are a few exceptions that I feel still hold up today:

Phil Collins - Face Value
Genesis - Duke
King Crimson - Discipline
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta
Rush - Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (the movie)
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
Pete Townshend - Empty Glass

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca