Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Almost Queen is better than One Night of Queen and i'll tell you why....

forum rss feed
Author

Mike In NY user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mike In NY
Rocker: 37 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Mar 08, 23:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

because the guy who portrays Freddie Mercury in Almost Queen (Joey Russo) actually PLAYS the instruments (i.e. piano, guitar)

So if you really are gonna portray Freddie Mercury in a tribute band..dont do it half-ass....learn to play and sing at the same time just as freddie did and maybe you would have my respect.

And on that note....i will be going to see Almost Queen here in NYC on April 8th because i want to see a tribute band who at least has a person accurately portraying Freddie instead of singing to audio loops pressed by some sound engineer (i.e. Gary Mullen and the works)





Just cruising - driving along like the swing king, Feeling the beat of my heart

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seen Almost Queen in Cleveland, Ohio, and they played in the House of Blues, I have to admit a small venue, but they were really good, so let me no what u think of One Night of Queen, I had tickets to the Akron, Ohio show, but my car broke down on the way there and not only lost $72, but did'nt get to see them, so if u have a chance, let me no what u think, cuz i heard good reviews about them.

Thanks,
Micky


R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This looks like a bad attempt at a viral campaign.

You even included an upcoming tour date.

Bravo! clap clap clap

Guild84BHM1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 21:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wasn't too impressed with Almost Queen's guitarist. He doesn't seem to have a close style to Brian. Plays some licks too fast (i.e. shredder). He doesn't use Vox amps. I'm going to see Gary Mullen tomorrow night on Long Island. I'll have to see for myself how it plays out.

miracle-man! 29382 user not visiting Queenzone.com
miracle-man! 29382
Bohemian: 194 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw Gary just recently,he was really really great.

I've seen many clips of AQ and I think they're just as good,but yeah Jo as Freddie even plays piano like freddie whilst singing which adds to the act which is great.

I sure hope to see them as well someday.

sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mickyparise wrote:

I seen Almost Queen in Cleveland, Ohio, and they played in the House of Blues, I have to admit a small venue, but they were really good, so let me no what u think of One Night of Queen, I had tickets to the Akron, Ohio show, but my car broke down on the way there and not only lost $72, but did'nt get to see them, so if u have a chance, let me no what u think, cuz i heard good reviews about them.

Thanks,
Micky





omg i saw them there too! last year in i think february? how cool :) i had a great time, and my friend said it was probably her favorite concert shes ever been to. theyre great! they do queen justice.


why pay the visit when the visit is free?



"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
nbsman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 00:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey guys who going to long island tomorrow?Let me know ,i need a second person(minimum purchase quantiy is 2) ,i'm driving there ,so if you need a lift ,no problem.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quoth wrote:

because the guy who portrays Freddie Mercury in Almost Queen (Joey Russo) actually PLAYS the instruments (i.e. piano, guitar)

So if you really are gonna portray Freddie Mercury in a tribute band..dont do it half-ass....learn to play and sing at the same time just as freddie did and maybe you would have my respect.

And on that note....i will be going to see Almost Queen here in NYC on April 8th because i want to see a tribute band who at least has a person accurately portraying Freddie instead of singing to audio loops pressed by some sound engineer (i.e. Gary Mullen and the works)




Very subtle!


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[SHAMELESS PLUG]
I'm playing Sullivan's Steak House this Saturday night.
Real guitars. Real keyboards. Real Microphones.
[/SHAMELESS PLUG]



Mike In NY user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mike In NY
Rocker: 37 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Apr 08, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

to the jerkoff named champipple, no this is no viral campaign attempt as i am only a fan just as you are. You are damn right i included a date because i am going there and i live here in nyc.

To the other jerkoff who said that the almost queen guitarist doesn't have a similiar playing style to Brian and DOES NOT use vox amps...you are so full of shit and so wrong because i go to their shows when they are in town and on stage EVERY show is VOX amp bro.

Anyhow...One Night of Queen and that big floppy earred bastard they have for a lead singer suck!!....such a bad improvisation of Freddie and when u hear him talk for real you can't even understand him....he is worse than that italian freddie mercury guy.


Just cruising - driving along like the swing king, Feeling the beat of my heart

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Apr 08, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quoth wrote:

to the jerkoff named champipple, no this is no viral campaign attempt as i am only a fan just as you are. You are damn right i included a date because i am going there and i live here in nyc.

To the other jerkoff who said that the almost queen guitarist doesn't have a similiar playing style to Brian and DOES NOT use vox amps...you are so full of shit and so wrong because i go to their shows when they are in town and on stage EVERY show is VOX amp bro.

Anyhow...One Night of Queen and that big floppy earred bastard they have for a lead singer suck!!....such a bad improvisation of Freddie and when u hear him talk for real you can't even understand him....he is worse than that italian freddie mercury guy.


Ahhh..I see you have attended the Treasure Moment school of promotion.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Apr 08, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute wrote:

Ahhh..I see you have attended the Treasure Moment school of promotion.


And that's a FACT.

brian-harold-may 26643 user not visiting Queenzone.com
brian-harold-may 26643
Bohemian: 349 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 08, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Knute wrote:

Ahhh..I see you have attended the Treasure Moment school of promotion.


And that's a FACT.


you sir....just made my day

bravo!

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 08, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian-Harold-May wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:

Knute wrote:

Ahhh..I see you have attended the Treasure Moment school of promotion.


And that's a FACT.


you sir....just made my day

bravo!

Silent low people. Freddie impersonators are disciples of a god.

Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 08, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quoth wrote:

to the jerkoff named champipple, no this is no viral campaign attempt as i am only a fan just as you are. You are damn right i included a date because i am going there and i live here in nyc.


I apologize for saying you were associated with the band.

I assumed that only someone with a financial interest in the band would get that friggin worked up over a Freddie Mercury impersonator.

Now I think you're either

A) Nuts

B) One of those annoying people that once they buy something (tickets in this case), go on the internet to shout as loud as they can that what they bought is the best thing ever and everything else sucks in comparison.



Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 08, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So now, not only is QPR not Queen, we are debating the merits of Queen cover bands and running into the same issues.



Queen-Obsessed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 196 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 08, 21:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well living in Calgary, I get a whole lot of nothing, and what I do get (being underage) I only get hanging around outside the beer tent at the Calgary Stampede, but from the two years I've listened to them Merqury aren't too bad, they have a site with a few clips.
Only a year and a bit and then I won't have to hang around outside anymore lmao


17, and obsessed with Queen lol