Author

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WTF

http://www.local6.com/news/15757528/detail.html

WAYCROSS, Ga. -- Eleven students got together and plotted to kill their teacher, even going so far as to bring handcuffs and a knife to school, Waycross police said.

One of the teacher's relatives said each child at Center Elementary School in Waycross had a job to do, including one assigned to wipe up the blood.

The plot unraveled over the weekend when a student tipped off police, Local 6 reported.

School officials said they never imagined that some of the 8- and 9-year-olds boys and girls at the school would think of bringing physical harm to a teacher, WJXT reported.

"A plan had been developed amongst several of our third-grade students to allegedly do harm to their teacher," said Theresa Martin, of Ware County Schools. "It's shocking that they would think of this at their young age. I think that is probably the most shocking part for all of us," Martin said.

In addition to the knife being found, the school officials said other students had duct tape, handcuffs, ribbon and a heavy crystal paperweight.

The police chief in Waycross said that he believes the plan may have been developed because one of the students was punished with some sort of time out. However, that theory remains under investigation.

"I can't believe that -- because he's a third-grader. You know, I cannot believe that. Especially, for here," said parent Doris Rowland.

The children could face expulsion and criminal charges pending the investigation.

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They could face criminal charges, but they're only 8 or 9. Those charges will be wiped from their records by the time they're adults and plotting more heinous acts. Disgusting. I'm lost for words... and that's so not like me. :-/

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Their parents must be even worse.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"The nine students at Center Elementary School are too young to be charged with a crime under Georgia law, a prosecutor said. They include girls and boys, ages 8 and 9. Authorities withheld the students' names."

of course its Waycross.... not too much to do there..... cowtip.....eat corn....plot to commit a crime.... you know country stuff...

yeeeee haw...................

i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 19:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't care what you or classical music lovers think.

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 22:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And this is just another example of why I decided a long time ago that I was NEVER going to be a teacher to anyone other than adults. How effective of a teacher will you be when you have to worry about this kind of shit?

Adults at least have the option of being present. If they don't like the class, or don't want to be students, or don't like you, they can leave. And many of them do.

Formerly MHG
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 22:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's horrible news. What puts stuff like that in kid's minds? When I was 8 or 9, I don't even remember ever thinking about the words "murder" or even "guns" or "knives", I mean, I don't think I even knew the concept of killing someone, I don't think I knew it could be done. I knew people died when they got old or in a car accident, but I didn't think of murder. What the Hell is wrong with the world today???

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 08, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HistoryGirl wrote:

And this is just another example of why I decided a long time ago that I was NEVER going to be a teacher to anyone other than adults. How effective of a teacher will you be when you have to worry about this kind of shit?

Adults at least have the option of being present. If they don't like the class, or don't want to be students, or don't like you, they can leave. And many of them do.

How old was the Virginia Tech guy, though?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Panchgani user is on Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6375 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 01:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What did that teacher do to "inspire" 11 children?

Ya gotta wonder that something must be horribly wrong with the teacher if half the class actively considers murder a valid "solution".

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 03:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, one random kid I could understand.... but 11 of them?
Either there's a budding Rasputin in the class doing the brainwashing, or this teacher was a mega-cunt.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Yeah, one random kid I could understand.... but 11 of them?
Either there's a budding Rasputin in the class doing the brainwashing, or this teacher was a mega-cunt.

...or perhaps she was asking them to do something that they did not want to do - like sit in their own chair, or keep quiet when someone else was talking - or even giving out tasks like maths or homework.

I think the Japanese call this the 'Little Emperor Syndrome'. That is kids today are so spoilt, that unless they get what they want - and on their terms - that they can (in really extreme cases) be motivated to kill to satisfy their own selfish ends.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
PieterMC

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

That is kids today are so spoilt, that unless they get what they want - and on their terms - that they can (in really extreme cases) be motivated ti kill to satisfy their own selfish ends.

It's the age of instant gratification.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 08:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is seriously messed up.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What was the name of the famous USA case wherein two brothers conspired to kill their parents - for no other reason than to inherit their money?

From what I recall (and it may be from some cheap T.V. movie), the parents were not bad parents, rather the kids were so damned selfish and self-absorbed that in their own minds they believed they were totally justified.

As kids here in the UK become more feral, I just wonder if this sort of 'I'm alright Jack - sod everyone else' anti-social behaviour is set to become the norm?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 09:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

What was the name of the famous USA case wherein two brothers conspired to kill their parents - for no other reason than to inherit their money?

The Menendez brothers
http://www.courttv.com/trials/menendez/

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I work in an elementary school and I do agree with both what Z and John have posted. There are some students who are spoiled, some who have little demons in their heads, and also some teachers that are not nurturing. No teacher deserves to be plotted murder against though and no child of that age should even have those thoughts entered in to their heads, hopefully no human would ever have thoughts of plotting someone's murder!! It happens though and we have to face it and learn from it and figure out how to prevent it.

Each school year I am more and more shocked at what I see and hear from the students at my school. I can't figure out if they are changing for the worse or I'm just old fashioned. I was brought up in a house where teachers were revered and respected. You did as you were told, you sat in your seat and you did your work, no questions asked. Somewhere along the line it has become ok for children to argue with their teachers, run around the classroom like wild dogs, and not do their work. I don't even remember it being an option when I was in school to not do as you were told. It never entered my thought process. There has been a break down somewhere. Somewhere a child who is now an adult with children of their own was neglected or pushed to the side by a parent or a teacher who didn't give a shit, they got a negative experience at school and decided screw it. The parent has passed this along to their children, other children see that if they act up they do not have to do their work, their peers think they are cool and they decide to act up too. Its like a plague that spreads faster than measles. Children will never respect or hold a high value on education if they do not see it on an everday basis from their parents. Every so often though a child will come from one of our poorest areas and overcome the odds, overcome the stereotype. Its an awesome thing to watch. It only happens to about 1 or 2 children each year that I see, but when it happens its completely awesome to watch them break the cycle.

The only advice I can give to anyone that has children or plans to have children, please please place an extremely high level of importance on education. It is the only way I see of changing what I see go on every day. Do everything you can to empower your children or future children to learn learn learn, soak it up, everything! Learning does not have to be a pencil and a piece of paper. In my school our teachers use a lot of hands on activites because it is just so difficult to get the students to concentrate on anything longer than five minutes. It works. We use whatever techniques we need to to help the students learn and retain information. We make it fun and challenging and they don't even realize they are learning lifelong lessons and the building blocks for their future. Even though my school has over 50% of our enrollment living below the national poverty line, you would never know it from our test scores. ALL children can learn, but all children learn differently. It's up to the educators to find out what works best for each child if they want success for them.

Wow, I wrote a book but education is something I'm very passionate about. Odds are if your children or future children don't have an education, then they might as well have nothing. They are set up for disaster later in life and its up to their parents to make sure they don't head that way. I will never fail my children, they will learn to the best of their ability and I will do whatever I can to help them and support them, this is exactly what my parents did for me and as long as I'm alive, the cycle will not be broken.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

PieterMC

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw a story on NBC news last night regarding graduation rates. The graduation rate in American is appalling, worse that I even thought it was.

For example the Detroit City School District has a graduation rate of 24.9% - That just blows my mind.

There are 1.2 MILLION high school dropouts each year. That is just unacceptable.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23889321/

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lisser wrote:

I work in an elementary school and I do agree with both what Z and John have posted. There are some students who are spoiled, some who have little demons in their heads, and also some teachers that are not nurturing. No teacher deserves to be plotted murder against though and no child of that age should even have those thoughts entered in to their heads, hopefully no human would ever have thoughts of plotting someone's murder!! It happens though and we have to face it and learn from it and figure out how to prevent it.

Each school year I am more and more shocked at what I see and hear from the students at my school. I can't figure out if they are changing for the worse or I'm just old fashioned. I was brought up in a house where teachers were revered and respected. You did as you were told, you sat in your seat and you did your work, no questions asked. Somewhere along the line it has become ok for children to argue with their teachers, run around the classroom like wild dogs, and not do their work. I don't even remember it being an option when I was in school to not do as you were told. It never entered my thought process. There has been a break down somewhere. Somewhere a child who is now an adult with children of their own was neglected or pushed to the side by a parent or a teacher who didn't give a shit, they got a negative experience at school and decided screw it. The parent has passed this along to their children, other children see that if they act up they do not have to do their work, their peers think they are cool and they decide to act up too. Its like a plague that spreads faster than measles. Children will never respect or hold a high value on education if they do not see it on an everday basis from their parents. Every so often though a child will come from one of our poorest areas and overcome the odds, overcome the stereotype. Its an awesome thing to watch. It only happens to about 1 or 2 children each year that I see, but when it happens its completely awesome to watch them break the cycle.

The only advice I can give to anyone that has children or plans to have children, please please place an extremely high level of importance on education. It is the only way I see of changing what I see go on every day. Do everything you can to empower your children or future children to learn learn learn, soak it up, everything! Learning does not have to be a pencil and a piece of paper. In my school our teachers use a lot of hands on activites because it is just so difficult to get the students to concentrate on anything longer than five minutes. It works. We use whatever techniques we need to to help the students learn and retain information. We make it fun and challenging and they don't even realize they are learning lifelong lessons and the building blocks for their future. Even though my school has over 50% of our enrollment living below the national poverty line, you would never know it from our test scores. ALL children can learn, but all children learn differently. It's up to the educators to find out what works best for each child if they want success for them.

Wow, I wrote a book but education is something I'm very passionate about. Odds are if your children or future children don't have an education, then they might as well have nothing. They are set up for disaster later in life and its up to their parents to make sure they don't head that way. I will never fail my children, they will learn to the best of their ability and I will do whatever I can to help them and support them, this is exactly what my parents did for me and as long as I'm alive, the cycle will not be broken.

This was beautiful, insightful and right on the money, Lisser.

It's because of all this that I homeschool my daughter. She was one of the ones who paid attention while others thumbed their noses at authority... and she was also the one neglec

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

HistoryGirl wrote:

How old was the Virginia Tech guy, though?

True Zeb, the Virginia Tech guy was an adult. As was the shooter at NIU. But these are examples of people who are mentally unbalanced. I never made the argument that you are completely free from the threat of violence...no one ever is. There is always some crazy out there that can take you down if they don't like you. But my point was that if you are in a university setting, you chose to be there. You chose to take a class (even if you are taking it as a general requirement, there are other choices you could have made to fulfill the same requirement). You chose to attend class, and if you don't like it you can choose to leave. That is what most adults will do in that situation, which not only keeps the other class members and teachers safe but also makes the learning environment more productive.

Formerly MHG
AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 02 Apr 08, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to totally agree with Lisser and Magical. There has been a break down in the process, and I'm not afraid to point directly to the parents and the home as the location of that breakdown. Either there are no parents in the home for the kids because both parents are working (and to a certain extent, in this economy it has to be this way just to be able to afford to keep up) or the parents that are there are total crap. The working parents wind up feeling guilty for being gone all the time, so they want to be the kid's friends...to do everything their kid wants as a way to make up for being gone all the time. But we've seen where this leads to. The children become so spoiled that they think they should have everything they want. Kids also pick and choose the lessons that they learn, and one of the lessons they always learn is when we teach kids that they should do everything they can to get what they want...that they should chase their dreams and obtain them no matter what. You see how easily that gets turned into "I don't want to be disciplined or do this assignment, so I'm going to do whatever I can to not do it?" Moral centers are developed by setting boundaries, but no one sets them anymore. The teachers can't, either out of fear of their students or out of the fact that they don't have time. We can't expect teachers to raise our kids for us, that's not their job. Their job is to HELP the parents do it. The parents don't set the boundaries for their kids because they are either not there, they want to be their children's friends, or they are afraid of being turned in to CPS. Parents have got to step up and start being parents again, and this means that they need to be able to discipline their children and set boundaries in the way that they see fit; within reason of course. No one advocates beating the hell out of your children with a stick or something like that, but parent's also need to have the freedom to punish their children by things like spanking without fear that they'll be hauled of to court for child abuse.

Formerly MHG