Forums > Personal > Marillion

forum rss feed
Author

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This might get lost in the din of Treasure Moment threads, but what the hell...

A few years ago, when I swapped music with my dad, I came across an album by Marillion called Misplaced Childhood. When I asked him about it, he said he got it from a coworker of his and had never actually listened to it. Anyway, I listened to it myself, and liked it a little bit, but not enough to really think much of it. A few days ago, I got around to listening to it again, and something about it resonated with me, and it's now all I've been listening to recently.

What's the general thought of Marillion here? Anyone have any recommendations of where I should go from here? I read up a bit on them, and I knew they're pretty much divided into two fanbases – ones who prefer the original vocalist, Fish, and ones who prefer the "new" vocalist, Steve Hogarth (but I could be way off on that...) – but they seem relatively obscure and are hardly mentioned, or even known. They don't seem to be known at all here in the US. Anyone fans of these guys and could recommend some more of their albums? I want to get the 2-disc version of Misplaced Childhood (the version I have now was actually a 41-minute mp3 track that I had to split into separate tracks), but I don't know what else of theirs is any good.

Help me out, fellow Queen fans!

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fugazi is one of my all time favorite albums. I do prefer Marillion with Fish, and I think this one is better than Misplaced, but it is great as well.

Yes, absolutely no airplay in the States, very little promotion in the 90s as well.

Jeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marillion is indeed alot better known in Europe.
To be honest: in MY opinion Misplaced Childhood is all you need. But if you want to dig deaper, I would point you towards the older 'Fish'-stuff.
(Fugazi, Incommunicado)

edit: ah, some microwave beat me :-)


Roger AAAAAHHHH!
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wow,theres a band i havent heard of since god was a boy lol
they were big for about a month or two back in the mid 80's with Kayleigh and Lavender and indeed Misplaced Childhood is a good album to start with but after that i wouldnt know where to start.they kinda vanished commercially after Fish/Derek Dick [great name i always thought] left.
gonna dig out my old vinyl version now and have a recap :-]


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

(I was right... this got buried among the recent influx of Treasure Moment threads. Oh well.)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, all. I signed up on their website for a free sampler CD (which I believe contains only Steve Hogarth-era songs) and will go from there. I'll probably pick up the first four Fish-era albums first, but I figured a free sampler CD -- how can you beat that?

...speaking of their website, wouldn't it be great if Queen took a page from Marillion's execution? All sorts of great information about albums, from the musicians, producers, and artists, and a seemingly idiot-proof online store.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:


...speaking of their website, wouldn't it be great if Queen took a page from Marillion's execution? All sorts of great information about albums, from the musicians, producers, and artists, and a seemingly idiot-proof online store.


Let's not get carried away here....

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:


...speaking of their website, wouldn't it be great if Queen took a page from Marillion's execution?


Queen is the best band of all time forever, its a FACT!
Marillion?? hahah im a BIG fan and can tell you Marillion is NOTHING compared to Queen in ANY way! Queen is 100 levels above them, its a joke to even compare.


Oh good grief... impostor or the real thing, go the fuck away. Don't shit this thread up.

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4630 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They had a mini re-union with Fish last year

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNvCnvb50A

Still brilliant musicians they are


"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

STFU you must understand that Marillion can't compare to queen:Freddie will always have the best voice and singing of all time FACT, queen don't need any pages from anyone elses books.



No one ever compared Marillion's music to Queen's in this thread. So your opinion is unwarranted and unwelcome. Go away now.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

STFU you must understand that Marillion can't compare to queen:Freddie will always have the best voice and singing of all time FACT, queen don't need any pages from anyone elses books.



No one ever compared Marillion's music to Queen's in this thread. So your opinion is unwarranted and unwelcome. Go away now.


I'm with Lester. I don't care if it's the real TM or a fake. It's old. Very old. If it was up to me I would wipe this place clean, setup a new board and start from scratch. What would be great would be a board such as PHPBB3 where you can ignore users.

emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

STFU you must understand that Marillion can't compare to queen:Freddie will always have the best voice and singing of all time FACT, queen don't need any pages from anyone elses books.



I'm with Lester. I don't care if it's the real TM or a fake. It's old. Very old. If it was up to me I would wipe this place clean, setup a new board and start from scratch. What would be great would be a board such as PHPBB3 where you can ignore users.


yeah I’m with you too, this board could seriously do with an update so its possible to ignore users like him, and yeah i tihnk we all wish treasure moment would stop.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 17:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, TM needs to stay off this thread.

Anyways, Fish's solo stuff isn't half bad either. He had an early single called A Gentleman's Excuse Me that was very Fugazi-sounding. Does anyone know if Steve Hogarth is any relation to Ross Hogarth?

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Yes, TM needs to stay off this thread.

Anyways, Fish's solo stuff isn't half bad either. He had an early single called A Gentleman's Excuse Me that was very Fugazi-sounding. Does anyone know if Steve Hogarth is any relation to Ross Hogarth?


i have stayed off this thread, its an imposter


Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4630 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 18:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

This might get lost in the din of Treasure Moment threads, but what the hell...

A few years ago, when I swapped music with my dad, I came across an album by Marillion called Misplaced Childhood. When I asked him about it, he said he got it from a coworker of his and had never actually listened to it. Anyway, I listened to it myself, and liked it a little bit, but not enough to really think much of it. A few days ago, I got around to listening to it again, and something about it resonated with me, and it's now all I've been listening to recently.

What's the general thought of Marillion here? Anyone have any recommendations of where I should go from here? I read up a bit on them, and I knew they're pretty much divided into two fanbases – ones who prefer the original vocalist, Fish, and ones who prefer the "new" vocalist, Steve Hogarth (but I could be way off on that...) – but they seem relatively obscure and are hardly mentioned, or even known. They don't seem to be known at all here in the US. Anyone fans of these guys and could recommend some more of their albums? I want to get the 2-disc version of Misplaced Childhood (the version I have now was actually a 41-minute mp3 track that I had to split into separate tracks), but I don't know what else of theirs is any good.

Help me out, fellow Queen fans!


I could help you out with the Misplaced Childhood 2 disc if there was some way of getting in contact with you, Lester. And Script For A Jesters Tear Both of these are very good albums imo.

I never really paid too much attention to the Hogarth era Marillion. This might have been largely because of the presence that Fish had on stage. Brilliant and largely unusual he was for the time in that, for me at least, he wasnt so much singing the song as he was acting the part as well. This video is a good example of that

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KxemIWLI44c

This is an early appearance on the Old Grey Whistle Test, one which thankfully turned me on to them.


"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=FF9900>Mr Mercury</font> wrote:

I could help you out with the Misplaced Childhood 2 disc if there was some way of getting in contact with you, Lester. And Script For A Jesters Tear Both of these are very good albums imo.

I never really paid too much attention to the Hogarth era Marillion. This might have been largely because of the presence that Fish had on stage. Brilliant and largely unusual he was for the time in that, for me at least, he wasnt so much singing the song as he was acting the part as well. This video is a good example of that

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KxemIWLI44c

This is an early appearance on the Old Grey Whistle Test, one which thankfully turned me on to them.


Thanks for the video, Mista Mercury. Tremendous performance.

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4630 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Email sent Lester, so you can delete your addy ok.

Cheers.


"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Leaky Luke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 08, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Misplaced Childhood is an amazing album. Kinda emotional, but it worked out really well.


Micrówave wrote: I would prefer they release a concert of all four sitting at a table just talking about Queen without exerting any kind of energy. Well, maybe Fred can smoke
write your letters in the sand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Apr 08, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:


...speaking of their website, wouldn't it be great if Queen took a page from Marillion's execution? All sorts of great information about albums, from the musicians, producers, and artists, and a seemingly idiot-proof online store.


Oh there you go again Lester, dreaming the impossible dream . . .


Ready Freddie?