Forums > Personal > Stand up, Queenzoners, and let our collective voices be heard!

forum rss feed
Author

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 08, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me preface this by saying that, as we all know, the Internet is pretty serious business, and Queenzone is the mecca of high-brow intelligence and discussion. (Also, I'm not drunk.)

Anyway, I've recently taken a much-needed break from QZ, and have started to poke my head back in periodically to see if things have gotten better. And they haven't. What in the world is going on here where Treasure Moment, who is, by all accounts, a bully and a troll, is allowed to post threads promoting his shitty band and derailing otherwise half-decent conversations with his god-awful "Freddie is God AND THAT'S A FACT" bullshit?

I remember years ago when Bryan's Permed Poodle was wreaking havoc on QZ with his "RIP QUEEN 1971 - 1991" and someone (maybe Barb?) very kindly sent him an email asking him to tone it down a little bit or he will be deleted. Because he was, at heart, a rational human being (just barely), he agreed to just go away and leave us be. And the QZers rejoiced!

But now, absolutely nothing has been done regarding Treasure Moment. Yes, he has a right to post here, just like everyone does, but something's gotta give, for crying out loud. It's becoming an absolute nightmare to trawl through this place. (Yes, I'm aware that I partake in some of the Treasure Moment bashing, and that I egg him on. Don't ask me why, it's probably just because I like seeing the little idiot try to worm his way out of logical and rational discussion.)

Two years and change ago, Barb started a thread that asked "What is wrong with the Queenzone community?". I have dug up that thread, because it's interesting to see... that absolutely nothing has been done. Here's the link (because I absolutely hate long links that stretch the page way across, making everything impossible to read, I've used Tiny URL!): http://tinyurl.com/459dcl

What can be done to fix this place? It's in DIRE DIRE DIRE need of some fixing, because as it stands now, this is just not an enjoyable place to be. I'm not saying we need to completely revamp the board (though we could at least start with deleting the extra 's' on "Messsage" in each post topic/reply page!), but there needs to be a stronger hand in what goes down here. I'm sure Richard is a busy guy these days, but to just hope that everything fixes itself by not taking any action just doesn't seem to be working anymore.

And just so it doesn't seem like this thread is an angry whine against how things used to be, I will offer some suggestions:

- Ask Treasure Moment to either shape up or ship out. He is the biggest offender, as far as I'm concerned, and it's just tiresome.
- Actually, I still stand by what I posted back in November 2006:

Lester Burnham wrote on November 21, 2006:

I posted about this a few months ago, titled "A Modest Proposal", which people saw as typical idiocy on my part instead of what it was meant to be: satire. I certainly don't remember what it was about, and I have no intention of searching for it, but just observing this board recently, I do see that it's turned into a virtual chatroom with oversexed people (guys and girls, teenagers and young adults, etc.) going on about how lonely and/or horny they are.

Why does this need to be posted on the board? There are so many other outlets - including a chat room, blogs, emails, and messanger programs - where people can flirt relentlessly and not clutter up the board with their useless crap. Also, I find the "Queenie Above You - Electric Boogaloo" threads to be useless, even though I never click on them; I guess I'm just questioning their existence in general.

Yes, the Personal Section is stated as saying "To post whatever you like" or something along those lines, but why can't we have another subforum - like we have General Queen Discussion and Serious Queen Discussion, why not have a General Personal Forum and a Serious Personal Forum

*Rain Must Fall* user not visiting Queenzone.com
*Rain Must Fall*
Champion: 53 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good luck with it all Lester. A board is what it's members make it.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 00:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to agree with what Lester says. Unfortunately though I think the chances of things ever changing are slim to none.

I understand that Richard wants no censorship on the forum, and that's fine.... it's his call. However, I really feel that the board needs to be updated (PHPBB3, which at most would take an hour to install and configure) so that you can block any user that you don't want to read posts from.

Between the endless crap on here, and the constant problems with QOL there is no longer a good online fan community IMO.

For those that are interested, just look at the features that PHPBB3 would offer us...

http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 01:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

+1.

As an alternative: hanging, censorship or sending people into nut colleges. I lived in the Soviet Union, I know technologies. You may trust me - it works. Or let's clone some more of P_Gs. And get back to the post counters. And let 'em links to QueenPedia, QueenConcerts, The Hub before register their accounts, "I agree with bla-bla-bla above, I'm over 18, bla-bla-bla" button and stuff.

By the way it's 'Queen + Paul Rodgers Tour' here: http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum.aspx , but still 'Queen Tour 2005' inside: http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_view.aspx?Q=9

***Marial-B*** user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***
Deity: 2285 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 03:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well... I've been seeing the progress of the decadence of this site. Lester, I really think that troll called Treasure Moment has an e-mail from one of the moderators in advice of what he has to change on attitude but he hasn't make any change at all. This has been over months and months that this person has been doing such a boring job to bug people over here.

What has to change??? We should ignore him. I think I find less and less space to post nice things here than 3-4 years ago. And there's a lot of people who have tried to return, even MexQueenFM, but at the end nothing changes.

I think it's more of an attitude. Lots of people have grown up here between posts, but lately everyone is concentrated on fighting Treasure Moment or Bradley(Innuendo1990) and his troll with a weird name. I still think we should ignore those people.

I also still think Barb and Richard should choose a 3rd moderator that can spend more time here and take a bit of control about everything, or split the work between forums, 'cuz I know a lot of things can be written in just one day here, just in a simple thread.

And what Pieter has just posted is really good, but, do you think some "radical" people would change this for emoticons, avatars and restrict moderators??? We should consider that maybe is still not an option and that would be when the frog grows hair on its back :P.

Barcelona, October 22nd 2008
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes I emailed Brians Permed Podle, Flaupjemaupje and various other people with some success. I deleted numerous "Treasure Moment" aliases who only want to stir up fights and are in fact aliases of normal users.

Just to show you that it's not always one user who causes the problem, please read the following thread:

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=1099501

what about this

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=1098947

We need to be fair: not every useless thread is started by TM, not every thread by TM was actually started by the "actual" TM and not all threads started by him were crap from the start, some are turned into crap by the replies. I email TM and warn him but will anyone from the regular users help and start some interesting threads? We would need an effort to create interesting topics to outnumber the crap.

There is so much we could discuss if we were not discouraged by the inevitable hijackers who destroy each discussion. We have so many witty and funny people on the board who do not contribute in a productive way because there is just not the proper environment. Who is interested in helping to make this board what it used to be? a place of intelligent and witty discussions and intersting topics?

As to censorship - this is the situation: Richard hardly ever deletes anything, he is a passionate believer in self moderation. I have 2 options: I can delete a thread or delete a user. Both options are a very serious restriction of the freedom of speech and I don't do it for no good reason. We can subdivide the forums ad infinitum - this won't scare off the trolls, only peer pressure will. If a troll gets 35 replies but a normal topic gets only 5 replies - why in the world should someone not be a troll? It's impossible to "moderate" good topics into a forum, the users have to a) post interesting topics and b) ignore trolls.

I do not want any google ads here.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember there used to be really great threads in the Queen section. Now it's full of discussion about Paul Rodgers and how no one likes him, or how others think he's perfect. There's also a lot of usless topics in other sections on here.

I really think we should have a section/forum just for Paul Rodgers... I'm not against him and I haven't dis-respected him in any way, but I'm so tired of people saying he's great, or that he's not great and he's trying to be Freddie. It's bored me to death, it's hard to find real good topics in the Serious and General Queen sections because it's full of fighting about Paul Rodgers. I think it's time to make a forum about Queen + Paul Rodgers (I know you have one for the tour, but I think you need one for other discussions about their project).

There's a lot of young Queen fans on here that probably only have Greatest Hits, or, downloaded all their songs on Limewire or something, and if that's what they want, that's what they want.

What ever happened to people discussing rare singles and stuff? Now it's all about Paul Rodgers, or Face It Alone. I'm so bored with those topics and discussions.

I wish there were more die hard Queen fans on this forum instead of teens, that as I said, probably just have Greatest Hits compilations, or mp3's from limewire. Keep in mind, there are a lot of hardcore Queen fans, but it's being over taken by people who don't know what they are talking about.

I'm a big Queen fan, and I have been for quite some time. Obsessed even. But I don't go mouthing off about Paul Rodgers. I think Brian and Roger have the right to do what they like, and Paul Rodger's isn't bad at all. But I'm so sick of the endless discussions about him, of people claiming he's taking Freddie's place. I miss topics with serious Queen fans, who'd pay more attention about things in the past, than now. There's probably Queen fans on here now, that don't even know what a single is, and that's sad. I'm collect TONS of singles and albums by Queen, and the member's solo albums and singles as well. That's the kind of discussion I'd like to be in. I don't want to talk to people dissing Paul Rodgers.

I don't know what to do about the non serious Queen fans though. But I think there should be a new section to talk about Queen + Paul Rodgers.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish I knew the old Qz... And I agree that this place could do with a change for the better... I really suppose my post is going to sound stupid and like I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I can't really say much because you said it all before.

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The freedom of speech... Great thing which exists (not everywhere though) in real life, but should we copy rules of real life into virtual life?

Can I sue for the lie, insults and death threats someone called 'redspecialusa'? Or 'adventure_seeker'? Technically, yes, but let's face the truth - no. Can I do the same towards Joe Smith, 24 from Dallas? More chances actually. It's so easy to hide behind nicknames, aliases, proxy IPs in virtual life, but it's all almost impossible in real life.

So again my question should we copy rules of real life into virtual life...? Maybe yes, but completely, not partially?

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenzone is fine. I like Treasure Moment. Those threads are the best; and seeing people's reactions to him is even funnier.

To all the bright sparks, to the posters here that I genuinely respect; no one's stopping you from having intelligent discussion. The threads are a bit longer now, for all of the fucktards like theCro and kenny8 having their say, but Christ - just skip their posts and address each other. It's not hard. It's just like in real life when you blank someone. Piss easy, I do it all the time.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 08:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would be great if all this happened, but, it's still as unlikely to happen now, as it was 2 years ago.

Sadly, a long time ago I took the "if you can't beat them, join them" route. This has worked quite well for me.

It would be great if Treasure Moment was deleted though. Even the most sensible people get inexplicably wound up by him.

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One thing I would make a point of stating is that those non-pro Queen+ fans, like myself should be allowed to make their opinion heard, providing it is done constructively and allowing an alternative viewpoint from their own.

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=007788> ?Freya? wrote:

It would be great if all this happened, but, it's still as unlikely to happen now, as it was 2 years ago.

Sadly, a long time ago I took the "if you can't beat them, join them" route. This has worked quite well for me.

It would be great if Treasure Moment was deleted though. Even the most sensible people get inexplicably wound up by him.

it would be even greater if you got deleted you nazi + fake queen fan

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You see, this is what I find funny. From that, he has deduced that not only am I a fake Queen fan, I'm also a nazi. It must be amazing to see what goes on in that little brain of his.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It must be amazing to see what goes on in that little brain of his.

Something like this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nCmw6NveKCo

Except maybe less active.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barb, I realize you need to be diplomatic in this situation, but ignoring the trolls isn't going to work. It just isn't. That attitude has been used for years, but it just isn't going to cut it anymore. You can't ask anyone to NOT reply to the trolls, because they always say something ludicrous like "shut up you should be deleted you nazi + fake queen fan". (By the way, how the hell is that not considered bullying and trolling? Exactly what are the guidelines here?) On ANY OTHER SITE, the instant Treasure Moment showed up and started with his bullshit, he would've gotten a warning, and if he didn't stop, he would've been banned. But it's been God knows how long since he's been menacing Queenzone, and still NOTHING has been done except for sending emails to him that clearly don't do anything.

Yes, it's not ALWAYS Treasure Moment who does it, but the MAJORITY of the time it's Treasure Moment who does it. Can't there be a way to moderate (!!!) who signs up a fake account and then restrict them from doing so? Don't get me wrong, I like a good parody every now and then, but when the entire board is full of Treasure Moment wannabes, then it's just beyond absurd.

The way to keep people here, and to bring back some of the old guard, is to get rid of some of the trash. If that doesn't happen, pretty soon everyone's going to leave, bringing about a new wave of people. The reality of it is, you can plead for the old people to come back, and they might, but once they catch sight of a halfway intelligent conversation disintegrating into either "FREDDIE IS GOD SHUT UP YOU SHEEP THAT'S A FACT" or "KICK PAUL OUT HE'S USELESS RIP QUEEN 1971 - 1991", then they're going to skedaddle and go somewhere else. I can't say that I'd blame them, either.

Treasure Moment

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Barb, I realize you need to be diplomatic in this situation, but ignoring the trolls isn't going to work. It just isn't. That attitude has been used for years, but it just isn't going to cut it anymore. You can't ask anyone to NOT reply to the trolls, because they always say something ludicrous like "shut up you should be deleted you nazi + fake queen fan". (By the way, how the hell is that not considered bullying and trolling? Exactly what are the guidelines here?) On ANY OTHER SITE, the instant Treasure Moment showed up and started with his bullshit, he would've gotten a warning, and if he didn't stop, he would've been banned. But it's been God knows how long since he's been menacing Queenzone, and still NOTHING has been done except for sending emails to him that clearly don't do anything.

Yes, it's not ALWAYS Treasure Moment who does it, but the MAJORITY of the time it's Treasure Moment who does it. Can't there be a way to moderate (!!!) who signs up a fake account and then restrict them from doing so? Don't get me wrong, I like a good parody every now and then, but when the entire board is full of Treasure Moment wannabes, then it's just beyond absurd.

The way to keep people here, and to bring back some of the old guard, is to get rid of some of the trash. If that doesn't happen, pretty soon everyone's going to leave, bringing about a new wave of people. The reality of it is, you can plead for the old people to come back, and they might, but once they catch sight of a halfway intelligent conversation disintegrating into either "FREDDIE IS GOD SHUT UP YOU SHEEP THAT'S A FACT" or "KICK PAUL OUT HE'S USELESS RIP QUEEN 1971 - 1991", then they're going to skedaddle and go somewhere else. I can't say that I'd blame them, either.

how about we get rid of you and freya who are acting like nazis? do you what freedom of speech is? you think you are so much better with your constant insults towards me? i see you as a troll too

Freddie Mercury is God

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Treasure Moment

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You see, this is what I find funny. From that, he has deduced that not only am I a fake Queen fan, I'm also a nazi. It must be amazing to see what goes on in that little brain of his.

no matter how stupid and ignorant i think you are, do you see me demanding you to get banned? no because im not a nazi and i see you just as a little ignorant and not so smart kid.

Freddie Mercury is God

bobo the chimp

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

no matter how stupid and ignorant i think you are, do you see me demanding you to get banned? no because im not a nazi

HAHAHAHA :)
Treasure Moment, I've got a surprise for you.

Treasure Moment wrote:

how about we get rid of you and freya who are acting like nazis?

Treasure Moment wrote:

it would be even greater if you got deleted you nazi + fake queen fan

You silly, silly cunt. You can't even make your mind up for the duration of one page of one thread.

Hilarious :)

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#FF66FF><b>Marial-B wrote:

And what Pieter has just posted is really good, but, do you think some "radical" people would change this for emoticons, avatars and restrict moderators??? We should consider that maybe is still not an option and that would be when the frog grows hair on its back :P.

I'm not talking about more moderation with PHPBB3, but it would allow people to "self moderate". If a user gets on your nerves you can personally ignore that user. Everybody else can still see them.

PHPBB also has flood control which would stop idiots who feel the need spam the board now and again.

It's not about avatars or emoticons, it's about a board that has a search that works, where you can ignore people who annoy you, and finally offer private messaging between users.