Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > 1981.02.17 Tokyo - "Prime Jive" (Wardour)

forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen
Tokyo, Japan
Nippon Budokan
February 17, 1981

This is the definitive version of the fourth night in Tokyo, apparently from a first gen tape, according to the fine folks at Wardour.

AUD Master > 1st Gen Cassette (?) > "Prime Jive" (Wardour) silvers > CDR (x) > WAV > FLAC Frontend level 8

Disc 1:

01. Intro
02. We Will Rock You (fast)
03. Let Me Entertain You
04. Play The Game
05. Mustapha
06. Death On Two Legs
07. Killer Queen
08. I'm In Love With My Car
09. Get Down Make Love
10. Rock It
11. Save Me
12. Now I'm Here
13. Dragon Attack / Now I'm Here (reprise)
14. Love Of My Life

Disc 2:

01. Keep Yourself Alive
02. Drum Solo
03. Guitar Solo
04. Vultan's Theme / Battle Theme
05. Flash
06. The Hero
07. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
08. Bohemian Rhapsody
09. Tie Your Mother Down
10. Another One Bites The Dust
11. Sheer Heart Attack
12. Teo Torriatte
13. We Will Rock You
14. We Are The Champions
15. God Save The Queen

Here are the links to all 7 parts:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mfhkqzzxvib
http://www.mediafire.com/?mt2tmxtzh39
http://www.mediafire.com/?33xllm3y9yt
http://www.mediafire.com/?meezzjym2w9
http://www.mediafire.com/?v9yvou2mxle
http://www.mediafire.com/?v0zmvmlg1ye
http://www.mediafire.com/?xsvddyfhnja

Distribute these files only if they are left completely unaltered, and always include the lineage information. As always with my shares (and preferably everybody else's!), be sure that this recording is not made available at Queenzone or elsewhere in mp3 or any other lossy format. Keep lossless files lossless, unless it's for your own (ab)use.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Maruga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Maruga
Royalty: 1705 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 21:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much Sir Bob!!!

Life Is A Bitch...

Masahiko user not visiting Queenzone.com
Masahiko
Bohemian: 544 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 08, 23:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fantastic, Bob!
Thank you for replying my request.
I completed my collection of '81 Japan tour. :)

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 01:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Queen
Tokyo, Japan
Nippon Budokan
February 17, 1981

This is the definitive version of the fourth night in Tokyo, apparently from a first gen tape, according to the fine folks at Wardour.

AUD Master > 1st Gen Cassette (?) > "Prime Jive" (Wardour) silvers > CDR (x) > WAV > FLAC Frontend level 8

Disc 1:

01. Intro
02. We Will Rock You (fast)
03. Let Me Entertain You
04. Play The Game
05. Mustapha
06. Death On Two Legs
07. Killer Queen
08. I'm In Love With My Car
09. Get Down Make Love
10. Rock It
11. Save Me
12. Now I'm Here
13. Dragon Attack / Now I'm Here (reprise)
14. Love Of My Life

Disc 2:

01. Keep Yourself Alive
02. Drum Solo
03. Guitar Solo
04. Vultan's Theme / Battle Theme
05. Flash
06. The Hero
07. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
08. Bohemian Rhapsody
09. Tie Your Mother Down
10. Another One Bites The Dust
11. Sheer Heart Attack
12. Teo Torriatte
13. We Will Rock You
14. We Are The Champions
15. God Save The Queen

Here are the links to parts 1-2 of 7 so far:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mfhkqzzxvib
http://www.mediafire.com/?mt2tmxtzh39

Distribute these files only if they are left completely unaltered, and always include the lineage information. As always with my shares (and preferably everybody else's!), be sure that this recording is not made available at Queenzone or elsewhere in mp3 or any other lossy format. Keep lossless files lossless, unless it's for your own (ab)use.

Hi, SirGH! Many thanks for the upload. Ah, I loved your website, very well-organized and informative! I didn't find any review of this concert there and I know you're up to the neck (?always in doubt when I dare some idioms) with work, but I'd be really glad and grateful, as well as many other people, I'm sure, if you shared, when time allows and if it's not going to be a bore for you, your thoughts about it with us, just some brief remarks would be already helpful.

Thank you again and congratulations for the website and the wonderful work!

Yara
The Real Wizard

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 01:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

Ah, I loved your website, very well-organized and informative!

Right on... thanks a lot!

I didn't find any review of this concert there and I know you're up to the neck (?always in doubt when I dare some idioms) with work, but I'd be really glad and grateful, as well as many other people, I'm sure, if you shared, when time allows and if it's not going to be a bore for you, your thoughts about it with us, just some brief remarks would be already helpful.

Not too much to say about this one, really. These were just warm-up gigs for the pending South American tour. They were going through the motions, doing what they did best. I haven't listened to this one in a couple years, but I think I recall you can hear the girls crying during one of the encores somewhere.

Please don't feel the need to tip-toe because I've shared a silver, which anyone could have done, really. I'm happy to answer anything you'd like!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

little foetus user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 500 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 02:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much. ;)

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SIRGH: Please don't feel the need to tip-toe because I've shared a silver, which anyone could have done, really. I'm happy to answer anything you'd like!

Hi, SirGH. I'm sorry if it came across as tip-toe, really. It's just the way I am and behave here or elsewhere, and, truth to be told, it comes from me very naturally, it'd be so "unme"(lol) if I behaved differently. It has nothing to do with the share, really, but with my failing even to fancy myself acting differently. You know, it didn't have anything to do with the share, I'm sorry if it came across as something like that or...you know. It's not. It's just me...and, well, sorry. I'm a mess.

The share was great and I am not sure whether "anyone could have done" that, you know? Hm, I don't know, you're being way optimistic. :)

So...uh, hm, sorry for the misunderstanding and I do have your knowledge about Queen and music in general in very high regard, that's something I want to stress. It's such a sweet website, so well-organized, it was clearly done with care and patience, I found it really sweet and great. And...it's time for me to shut up, of course, and get some sleep before the day breaks (!?), I'm skinnier than ever and pale as a snowflake! It's scary, I'm looking like a zombie. And it's just the beginning of the studies. Tomorrow is holiday and I intend to swim or exercise or simply do anything unrelated to music and studying.

Take care, thank you very much again not only for the share, but for the kind and gentle reply and the very helpful website. Congratulations!

Yara
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks! Glad to add this to my collection:-)

on my way up
PBB user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1425 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 04:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks.
I also completed my Tokyo series:-)

Look out, take care, there's a lot of music out there...
daffy_the_duck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 04:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot, Sir Bob

Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Bob, esp. for using Mediafire!

... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
vivequeen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 327 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MERCI BEAUCOUP
Perfect like ever

Queenrockyou user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenrockyou
Deity: 2013 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot !

Regards,

Olivier,
France.

wanna trade ?
The Real Wizard

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yara wrote:

It's just the way I am and behave here or elsewhere, and, truth to be told, it comes from me very naturally, it'd be so "unme"(lol) if I behaved differently. It has nothing to do with the share, really, but with my failing even to fancy myself acting differently. You know, it didn't have anything to do with the share, I'm sorry if it came across as something like that or...you know. It's not. It's just me...and, well, sorry. I'm a mess.

Just try your best to be confident and assertive. You definitely have a great knowledge, love, and passion for music.

The share was great and I am not sure whether "anyone could have done" that, you know? Hm, I don't know, you're being way optimistic. :)

Silver bootlegs from Japan are essentially public domain. Anyone could have bought a copy and shared it here.

RoyThomasBaker user not visiting Queenzone.com
RoyThomasBaker
Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you!

Funny how the pages turn and hold us in between.
rg9l user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 338 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Bob, finally I have all the 5 Tokyo gigs of '81.
Thank you!

http://paulvsgodzilla.googlepages.com my trading-site !

Ginger01 is a Goddess between us.

Razz card, gill? Ciao!
mogiggymo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 174 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bob thanks very much, it's great to have all of those japanese shows

Posted: 21 Apr 08, 23:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SirGH, thanks again for the share, I'm really enjoying it!

Freddie does a clever choice of notes in Killer Queen. Instead of the truncated and beautifully and delicately detached G4 (built in re) F4 E4 F4 (medy), which has the disadvantage of robbing the song of energy and power, he smoothes the edges and stretches the notes a bit, barely singing "for" in order not to get out of rythm, and makes it a plain, vivid, powerful and much more fluent phrase - G4/G4(built in) G4/G4 (remedy), all in the same breath. The result: the songs starts to feel much more fluent and energetic, so to speak.

The second part is done in a very ironic way and reminded me of cabaré singers. He's clearly having fun with the song, and that adds to the joy of listening to it. The "perfume comes naturally from Tokyo". :-))) In order to do that, however, and not end the bar unresolved, he syncopates the phrase and instead of singing the open (Na..turally....Pa...ris), G-based falsetto, he adds more irony and humor to it by going down to C and C# and succeding in making "Na...turally...To...kyo" sound natural and well resolved within the bar. He avoids creating an odd dissonant interval. He does a lot of pauses, interruptions, syncopations, but he doesn't get out of rythm and is very respectful of the meter. Quite thrilling to listen to, very intelligently done.

There are many other interesting ideas he develops in Killer Queen and other songs, but I still have a warning to give to people who download this!

Advice to people: the ending of some songs are the beginning of some tracks so I advise you not to organize the files alphabetically according to the song titles but maintaing the original order so as to avoid cuts in the end of some songs.

Great show, very lively and well played, good audience (girls do scream a lot!).

A very special share, SirGH. Thanks, I enjoyed a lot.

Yara
Ginger01 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2611 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 08, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot for this - slightly late but no less appreciated :)

Posted: 22 Apr 08, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Take care, Ginger01! I'm still feeling the pain right in my chest. It's so thrilling this concert, so daring, it was indeed a great share.

Because Freddie thought he was, you know, a Freddie (lol), he was very daring throughout. "Let Me Entertain You" is so beautifully played, Ginger01, you'll like it, I guess. He decides to change the melodic contour here and there, and to play a bit with modes in order to create some tension. I almost lost my breath when he started to sing "Gonna rock, gonna...dancing in the isles" - I paled. I kept telling myself: no, no, no, no, no, no, no (without counterpoint), you won't do this, please don't do this, you'll ruin the song. In the original recording, this phrase, which sets the tone for much of what follows, is done in a very beautiful way and takes some progressively higher and higher notes until reaching a climax. Now, in this one, no, he doesn't do that at all -what's left is an absolutely tourtuous phrase, with ups and downs and even minor modulations to the point that he creates such, but such tension that you bet he's not going to be able to resolve it within the bar.

He resolves it. He finds just the right notes to dissolve the tension and build a different, exquisite melody which sounds much, much more interesting than in the original ("gonna rock, gonna roll you, get you dancing in the isles"). That's the line: he starts to play with the mode in "gonna roll you" and gets back to the progression of the original melody in time to sing "in the isles", though it just reminds us of the original, it's not the same melody anymore, it's much more beautiful and the intervals are more unusual, and difficult to resolve).

But that's not everything, because then comes the pain!

Ouch! My chest is still hurting. Why Freddie stopped caring? Why!? He did it all so beautifully in Kampuchea - he paid a lot of attention to his posture, to the positioning and moving of his head, and of course to his breathing: he does everything right, he inclines his torax backwards when it's needed, doesn't have any fear of appearing ugly by doing all sorts of strange, but necessary, movements with his mouth, he did it all.

But then, he stopped caring. And you know what? He started to hurt himself.

In this recording, we can "see" the exact moment when he damages his chest muscles (not the throat, I guess, by the way he sounds afterwards).

The track: Mustapha.

My guess: He was tired, of course. He had to go for pretty high and lenthy notes and, instead of breathing correctly as he used to do especially when tired, he must have been breathing exerting too much pression on his chest muscles (it's our tendency when we're tired). The so-called high chest breathing. The distention and spasms of chest muscles began to tamper with the air flow as he should have felt pain and discomfort while breathing.

It happens after the introduction of Mustapha. When he's going to cheer up the audience with those "hey, hey!", you notice that he can't stand it anymore, he's in pain. Does he stop? Well, he could, but he didn't and gave really a kind of heroic performance of Mustapha - it doesn't sound beautiful, but he doesn't spoil the song either because the guy just can't get out of tune and rythm! His musical intelligente was really uncanny, but, wow, we feel his pain and it's really disturbing to listen to him struggling to deliver the rest of the concert in a correct way. He started to sing much more carefully, almost low-profile, and even began to avoid singing with Brian and Roger when he felt it wasn't necessary. He rested and then he recovered a bit, but not to point he was before the injury. The concert starts to get even more interesting because he has to circumvent the problem in some way, and he does it, what a surprise.

Ouch! And what a musical genius. I never understood the "stop caring" thing. lol Not so muc

Yara