Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > THAT WILL BE THE LAST TIME, I THINK YOU WILL FIND.

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have just been asked on another thread if it's ok for what I said at the UK convention a few weeks ago (the transcription of that), to be put up on site. The person informs me that what I said was recorded... !!!!! .... so then, no doubt the music was too.

THAT WILL BE THE LAST TIME, I THINK YOU WILL FIND...

YES "someone recorded what I said at the convention" even after I virtually BEGGED the people there for NO-ONE to record it.

Brian was kind and generous enough to agree, Justin helped me sort thru it, and I asked extremely politely for NO-ONE to abuse the situation and record it. "Otherwise," I told them "Brian won't agree to this again and I won't be allowed to play such things for you guys again." That's fair, isn't it. We could not be fairer than that.

What happens? Still some faceless selfish bugger abuses it. Some annoying deceiptful git records it ANYWAY - ignoring what I asked because it suits THEM, and everyone else can go to hell!!!!!!!

I would prefer you DID NOT put it up onsite, please. I ask you politely. Again.

In fact, why don't you tell me who it was that recorded my 'spot' on stage, and then I can write to them direct (as can you all) to thank them for fucking it all up for everyone else, AGAIN.

This really annoys me. "Please DO NOT record this stuff" means exactly that. It's not ambiguous. There are some selfist tossers out there that always spoil it for everyone.

If my comments were recorded, then so too was the music. Right?????????

Who was that person? Please let me know (anonymously if you prefer), at... gb.queen_archive@btinternet.com

How bloody irritating, again.

GB
Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru has written this on a thread...

I will post a transciption of what Greg said in the next couple of days

GB... So, was it you PG????

If not, I'm guessing you would know who it was. I would genuinely appreciate you telling me - not least because this person has probably guaranteed that I won't be permitted to play any more rarities like that again.

GB
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What kind of title should we write in this case for not being blocked by your spam filter, Sir?

Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this is a sad topic and that you (Greg) and QP are a bunch of hoarders.

Gerolamo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gerolamo
Royalty: 1052 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this is a sad topic and that you (Greg) and QP are a bunch of hoarders.

Roger's Beard user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 315 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Always wanting to give folks the benefit of the doubt, it IS possible that PG only recorded your talk and stopped his recording when you played the music. Even if he didn't, neither the talk or the music has appeared online and quite possibly never will. I think/hope that most people who attend your session aren't stupid enough to record it and share it and therefore risk never hearing anymore unreleased stuff again.

If the songs appear online Greg, then by all means don't bring anymore to convention, if they don't then I think you're safe to keep bringing stuff, especially as hearing it is the highlight of convention and the main thing that's brought me back year after year to what has otherwise been a dull weekend.

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You certainly have the right to have your wishes respected, Greg. That being said, I wish Queen fans around the world could experience a 'virtual online convention' sometime. Not all of us live in the UK, or the Netherlands, or fucking Cleveland, yet our money is just as good for buying the endless rehashed releases QP decides to put out.

And if you're gonna mix in your own lovely voice every 10 seconds reminding us who owns the music, why not put it online yourself?

By the way, I would love to have an isolated version of your "Property of.." voice-over. It would be fun to add to other recordings :)

But anyway, I myself was annoyed by P_G's statement. A "transcription"? LOL. Fucking post the audio I say! But I see your point too.

Best of luck.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can't be that surprised that somebody recorded you, Greg. It was bound to happen, even if you begged people not to. Since you have "property of Queen Productions" mixed in, I don't see why this stuff can't be made available to everyone. Though, I realize this isn't your call to make. As Turkey Buzzard mentioned, it is a shame that those of us that can't attend a convention miss out.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's nice to protect ones intellectual property,

but you can't take it with you. In fifty years this shit won't matter. Why should it be such a drama?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would understand the problem if the recordings of the music played at the convention were crystal clear recordings, with no audience chatting over it, or without Greg's voice every 20 seconds. Or without Greg stopping the tape and saying 'you get the idea, the rest is more or less the same'.

But the recordings of previous conventions I heard contain all of these annoying things. Therefor I only listen to these convention recordings because I love Queens music and I like to hear something I haven't heard before.

I guess the problem with QP is, that they're afraid that these recordings on the internet will kill the fans hunger for boxsets. I don't think this will be the case. Cause most of the people who will download these songs are the people who will buy the boxsets in the end. Even if it only contains stuff which has been heard at conventions over the years.

The people who know Queen stuff from the radio aren't interested in the boxset at all. Boxsets with rarities are for the hardcore fans. And the hardcore fans are the people who buy it anyway.

And... when the boxsets will be released. Will they have 'Property of QP' every 20 seconds. Cause you know... I'm 100% sure it will be online within 10 days after the release.

If internet still excists by the time the boxsets are released of course

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, I have some responses for you.

- I have a terrible short term memory, but am fascinated by both the snippets that Greg is allowed to play and the information he is able to share. Thus I have recorded, FOR MY OWN USE, the last couple of convention discussions. NOT ONE SECOND of this has reached anyone else.

- Greg's request was that the material was not to be found on the internet. I at no stage had any intention of ignoring this request. The existence of a recording should not in itself be a barrier to any future activity.

- I was planning to type out what Greg had said, but it took ages just to get the first intro done, so I proposed that just his voice was shared. He is not happy with that - fair enough. I will not upload that anywhere either.

- I'm fairly sure Brian's Montreux appearance had already been disseminated before Greg played it, but if any of the rest of the material played ever appears online, I'll be happy to send Greg the entire recording to prove that I am not the source (as it has a great deal of conversation from behind the bar).

- It's probably not going to be considered relevant, but I've decided that was my last convention. Therefore you can be reassured that there will be no sneakiness at future conventions (except the hundreds of bootlegs, copyright-infringing photos, fridge magnets etc). Or at least anyone else recording it won't be honest enough to say so (I know you're going to hate that twisted logic - sorry).

- In short, I don't accept becoming a scapegoat for this. If you were going to stop, you'd have done so the first time that "Property of Queen Productions" DIDN'T stop the uploading. To stop now because of material that HASN'T been uploaded would be perverse.

Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think speaking at a convention you can expect not to have expectation of privacy. These days it's naive to expect to play ultra rare queen stuff in a public place and not expect it to be recorded and shared.

You asked nicely. Someone decided to do it anyways.

EVERY concert is now recorded by dozens of people and shared on the internet.

As an example, on Backstreets you can download every Bruce Springsteen concert from his most recent tour. EVERY show.

It's unfortunate in a way, but it's the new world we live in.

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 27 Apr 08, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, I am in the unlikely position of agreeing with Zebonka here. Increasingly, the material that you are working on for Queen is becoming irrelevant.

Where once I would have been the first to be crying "release the damn material", now, I have to say I really don't think we will ever see this material reach the light of day in a format that we really want, and when we want it. I only have 33 years left before retirement.

Frankly, I think the serious collectors - and they do not number in the thousands any more, Greg - are the only ones interested. I think the more casual - but still reasonably serious - fans like myself are getting used to the annual disappointment of no boxsets.

Before you rant about "well just how much control do you think I have over this material" - we realise that outside of archiving, you're pretty irrelevant to the Queen Machine. But perhaps, just once, you could feed back at a management meeting that time which will yield much, if any, commercial success for material that you are working on, is fast running out.

*DO* hope that you otherwise enjoyed the convention, old boy...

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 08, 05:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, what is is the big deal with someone recording your voice. A lot of us did not have the opportunity to go to the convention and PG was just letting us hear your speech.

Again on another thread here, another person has asked you quite simply any word on the box sets, nothing threatening or argumentative.

As regards the NOTW robots if Sir Brian has one why didn't you simply photograph his one if you are great buddies and all.

The No 1 Singles Collection is also on the back burner we assume.

If only Mr. May and co. would announce at some stage what they intend doing with their catalogue then we would not need to bother yourself with these questions.

Thank You

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 08, 05:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg Brooks ate Treasure Moment's asshole out last night.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 08, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I totally agree with you, ok computer. I am myself beyond caring about the box sets and I never thought this could happen. I think it's natural for a normal person to turn away from an old repetitive product and look for something exciting and new. In Germany they just released a "new" WWRY/WATC single, how thrilling.

Also, I think if anything it's the leaked studio versions of unreleased stuff that might hurt the sales of the never appearing anthology, not some self recorded voiced over snippets taped in a noisy and crowded room on a convention. We all know it was not PG who leaked unreleased material from the archives, don't we, Greg? Anonymous whistle blowing about who leaked them is welcome at therewontbeaboxset@oldjoke.com

Oh yes - Brian's Montreux 2001 appearance was partly on TV and complete on the Brian May endorsed sharing site owned by timelily

I do not want any google ads here.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 08, 08:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would understand this thread if those recordings of last covention were shared and uploaded onto internet. But they weren't... and saying that we won't have any more because... well...
how do you know someone really RECORDED it? Anybody can say they did... I have a MAN IN THE SHADOWS LP... ;) So unless you hear this recording ANYWHERE on the net I think it's... ridiculous...

Haven't heard them, not that crazy about hearing them... couldn't care less... waiting for box sets, in the meantime I listen to the bands that release interesting stuff NOW... come new Q+PR album or this "biggie" in the autumn- I'll listen to Queen again... but I'm not going to hunt down bad quality recordings of 2 minute snippets, with a "property of QP" every 15 seconds or so, with some idiots chatting over it (aren't they interested?)... I have life... Greg- do you seriously believe that those (especially those, that are NOT avaliable on internet or anywhere else) recordings pose ANY threat to anything? Please...

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 08, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's pretty cut and dry.

Did the tickets say NO CAMERAS, NO RECORDERS, or some such? If they did, then P_G is a very, very bad boy and deserves a good spanking.

If they did not, would not the "people" at QPL have thought this through clearly? I think they do. Kinda like the Walmart logic - Don't go after shoplifters, just get them out of the store. I think QPL WANTED someone to record that and leak the snippets out on the net. To increase the hunger for the rare tracks.

So what are you going on about, Greg? Because you don't have the same forethought that the "people" at QPL have? Just like they'll allow you to play tapes next year. The only one that really cares is you.

You want a solution? Start your own website. Edit and post what YOU want.

YourValentine wrote:

In Germany they just released a "new" WWRY/WATC single, how thrilling.

Bragger. In the U.S. we got nothing!!! AND my toothbrush died.

Perhaps THAT is the something special...

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 08, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was really gripped by Queen while watching in VHS as a kid part of the concert held at Hammersmith Odeon, 1979. Up until then, I liked the band, period. After watching the concert, I became a fan and came to respect the band.

Almost 20 years have gone by. If it were not for the painstaking and careful work done by bootlegers, collectors, tv and radio stations, I'd never have become a Queen fan, I think. Most of the really fascinating material available is the result of dedicated fans and collectors who really respect the band and its history.

Just a thought.

Yara
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 08, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would Greg be able to write QUEEN LIVE without bootlegs?
Case dismissed...