Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The meaning of C-Lebrity

forum rss feed
Author

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been pondering on the meaning of C-Lebrity; more specifically, is it a...

... oh dear. I forgot my manners. A guy from Zagreb, Croatia (I know... but *someone* has to live there, right?), a Queen fan since the tender age of six when I first mom playing Bohemian Rhapsody (thanks mom!) and an altogether agreeable addition to this splendid forum. Favorite Queen album: Hot Space, favorite color: blue; favorite dish: egg and mayonnaise sandwich; greatest achievement: spelling 'mayonnaise' right on the first try. Pleased to meet you.

Anyway, I've been pondering on the meaning of C-Lebrity; more specifically, is it a gently mocking story of three aged rockers scraping what little past glory they can in a world where music has moved on... or does it mean Roger is very, very pissed off at celebrity gossip in Sugar?

Oh yeah, my second question is: why doesn't Brian play the harp? He'd be fucking amazing on it.

Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you cant be seriously thinking they are mocking themselves? its about the talentless idol celebrities and such i think

Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He is not able to play on it.

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice to meet you, P-Staker.

In my opinion, the meaning behind C-lebrity is, well, for lack of a better term, meaningful. The point I believe they're trying to make is that today the celebrity world is far to shallow. People are only interested in getting those few moments of fame on television (ex. American Idol, Canadian Idol). It really is just spitting on today's popular artists. And rightfully so. I'm sick and tired of those garbage talent shows, and the crap we have to listen to nowadays.

Oh, and about Brian's harp: that would be awesome if he broke out with a harp solo. Perhaps instead of using a guitar during Love of my Life, he could use a harp! How crazy would that be?

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Band ten hut!
steven 35638

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

He is not able to play on it.

Yes, he hasn't used it since 1975 probably. But I'm sure he has the ability to reteach himself. It's a crazy fantasy, no more, no less.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In 1975, Brian and harp, it was similar to the trick you can make now with Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V combination on your keyboard. It wasn't proper playing.

Band ten hut!
steven 35638

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have you got any reliable sources,Serry? I'm rather curious.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P-Staker wrote:

Oh yeah, my second question is: why doesn't Brian play the harp? He'd be fucking amazing on it.

you ever tried making a harp out of a fireplace?

go deo na h√Čireann
gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Steve wrote:

The man himself - on his Soapbox, a couple of interviews and the ANATO documentary IIRC...

--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

c-lebrity=big brother,im a celeb get me out,the apprentice etc etc.it's a piss take.think jane goody lol.

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually like the idea of C-Lebrity being a gently self-mocking song along the lines of Let Me Entertain You. Roger will probably prove me wrong in his next interview.

And that's a shame. It's hypocritical, after doing a commercial with Britney, appearing on American Idol and playing with a bunch of schmucks worse than the Croatian government.

But worse yet, it's petty. It's like Randy Coutur telling first graders in Aikido class that they suck. Technically true, but heroic it ain't.

I wish I could hate the song. If only the harmonies weren't so bloody amazing...

Treasure Moment

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P-Staker wrote:

I actually like the idea of C-Lebrity being a gently self-mocking song along the lines of Let Me Entertain You. Roger will probably prove me wrong in his next interview.

And that's a shame. It's hypocritical, after doing a commercial with Britney, appearing on American Idol and playing with a bunch of schmucks worse than the Croatian government.

But worse yet, it's petty. It's like Randy Coutur telling first graders in Aikido class that they suck. Technically true, but heroic it ain't.

I wish I could hate the song. If only the harmonies weren't so bloody amazing...

roger and brian think britney and the people at american idol suck but did it just to keep the queen name alive as if they needed that haha

Freddie Mercury is God

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

Treasure Moment

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

P-Staker wrote:

wow you must be very easily impressed if you think those harmonies are amazing, we have harmonies waaaaaay better than that on my page

Freddie Mercury is God

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My personal interpretation, partly based on the slight misspelling of Celebrity as "C-lebrity" can be one or a combination of the following, including what I feel is implied in the lyrics:

-The "C-" could refer to C-list (lower than B-list or perhaps "B-movies") "celebrities"
-It could also be implying that the subject is more or less an attention whore, so to speak. Because they want you to "see that (they're/he is/she is, "I'm" a C-lebrity/celebrity), just because they think by participating or working on, say, a movie, music album, etc. etc., basically anything to do with the entertainment industry.
-With the last point in mind, the "C-" spelling could also be a pun on "see", also as in "see, I'm a celebrity"

I could delve more into it, but this is what comes to mind first and foremost.

I won't doubt though that this will confuse a lot of people not very fluent in the English language, because of many of our puns, hidden meanings and innuendos, etc., which for the most part are extremely hard to translate effectively, if at all.
And every so often there are new terms and memes that originate online all the time, at such a rather admittingly faster pace these days than even 10 years ago ("pwned", anyone?). And it is so hard to come up with equivalent terms and whatever for foreign people.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

P-Staker wrote:

wow you must be very easily impressed if you think those harmonies are amazing, we have harmonies waaaaaay better than that on my page

Haha.

I find it amusing how much you try to promote your music as "good product".

I think you will have competition from myself and my band in a few months. We've started re-recording our tracks after fiddling with demos and ideas between November last year and February this year. We've even looked into our older demos in my digital archive, that were from before I was even part of the band other than by association with some of the members from high school, and found there are some songs we are looking to bring back even. I already recorded, I think, two or three of those 'old' songs for drums earlier this week out of 5 songs so far.

We are still waiting on a Mapex Saturn kit to come in before we record some other songs. I've been using the custom kit I use at the moment for a few songs I felt would work better for those songs, but I will likely record some drum tracks on both kits to see which one comes across better in sound and mix.

Will write more about that later this spring :)

Band ten hut!
steven 35638

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gnomo wrote:

Steve wrote:

The man himself - on his Soapbox, a couple of interviews and the ANATO documentary IIRC...

Thanks!

Treasure Moment

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><FONT SIZE=4>inu-liger</b> wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

P-Staker wrote:

Haha.

I find it amusing how much you try to promote your music as "good product".

I think you will have competition from myself and my band in a few months. We've started re-recording our tracks after fiddling with demos and ideas between November last year and February this year. We've even looked into our older demos in my digital archive, that were from before I was even part of the band other than by association with some of the members from high school, and found there are some songs we are looking to bring back even. I already recorded, I think, two or three of those 'old' songs for drums earlier this week out of 5 songs so far.

We are still waiting on a Mapex Saturn kit to come in before we record some other songs. I've been using the custom kit I use at the moment for a few songs I felt would work better for those songs, but I will likely record some drum tracks on both kits to see which one comes across better in sound and mix.

Will write more about that later this spring :)

well great, if you make good quality music then im looking forward to hearing it.

Freddie Mercury is God

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 08, 23:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Do you actually think you're going to attract people to listen to your music with this kind of attitude?

Arrogance will get you nowhere. But feel free to keep trying, as that record deal is surely just around the corner.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts

Posted: 01 May 08, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

you cant be seriously thinking they are mocking themselves? its about the talentless idol celebrities and such i think

Even though you can't technically think without severely hurting yourself.

Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.

Posted: 01 May 08, 03:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Others may laugh, but I believe you 100%. I'm looking forward to you ditching that cheesy crap and putting the good stuff you're telling us about!