Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian May clears up that Paul Rodgers thing

forum rss feed
Author

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 May 08, 05:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's in the news but I just felt like bringing it up anyway.

---------------------
The new album, The Cosmos Rocks, is the first the band has recorded without Mercury, who passed away in 1991. “I feel like he’s still very much part of the band,” May says. “We reference him every day. He always really enjoyed Paul’s work. He used to have a go at me in the studio when I tried to have him sing bluesy stuff. He’d say, ‘Brian, you’re trying to make me fucking sound like Paul Rodgers, and I can’t do it!’”
---------------------

Well, no use of the 'hero' word Sebastian loves so much... this is slightly more credible I suppose, but a cynic would look at this as more revisionism by Brian.

Personally I don't think it's too outlandish to imagine Freddie having some admiration for Paul Rodgers, in that he sang in a field Freddie perhaps thought he couldn't do as well.
Either way, it's a funny quote.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 03 May 08, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cynic already did.

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=1102435

P.S. It's not Sebastian who loves that word so much, it's Brian who used that word towards Rodgers several times.

new one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 03 May 08, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure Brian first said that during a press conference in Japan on the last tour didn't he. I reckon that its got more of a chance of being true than the whole Paul is a hero of Freddies idea.

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 03 May 08, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great thread title. Haha.

(I've been hearing about experiments where they stimulate parts of your brain to bring back vivid memories.)

Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 03 May 08, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just got a copy of the 1987 version of the Queen Fan Club biography/discography/whatever a couple of weeks ago. On Freddie's page, he lists his favorite song of all time as Lionel Ritchie's "All Night Long", so I think I rather prefer to believe the Paul Rodgers business. I mean, really, "All Night Long"? What the fuck?

bobo the chimp

Posted: 03 May 08, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Faron Hyte wrote:

I just got a copy of the 1987 version of the Queen Fan Club biography/discography/whatever a couple of weeks ago. On Freddie's page, he lists his favorite song of all time as Lionel Ritchie's "All Night Long", so I think I rather prefer to believe the Paul Rodgers business. I mean, really, "All Night Long"? What the fuck?

That must've been a practical joke.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 03 May 08, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, maybe Freddie wasn't the intellectual genius some people claim he was. A genius' last words surely can't be "pee pee", can they?

bobo the chimp

Posted: 03 May 08, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He probably had something better lined up but dropped dead before he could get it out.

Sicmot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 03 May 08, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

Well, maybe Freddie wasn't the intellectual genius some people claim he was. A genius' last words surely can't be "pee pee", can they?

You stupid twat.. he was in his dead bed.. What the fuck you can expect an individual ravaged by aids to say but the most lowest level of needs by short sentences.. die by gagging into your own shit you idiot.

God created man from dust, man replied with sin and lust..
Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 04 May 08, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Faron Hyte wrote:

Maybe his favourite was whatever he was into at that moment? It's not like he's ever been a heavy blues man, has he? That's more of Brian's interest.

And it's not that Paul Rodgers songs are inherently better than Lionel Richie's... Most Queen fans would just think so because they prefer rock, unlike Freddie who was very much into other types of music in the 80's. (It's pretty amazing how some people haven't noticed that after Hot Space, Mr Bad Guy and Barcelona.)

kirkpatrickuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 04 May 08, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having worked in the music biz for the last 13 years, I can't remember ever meeting a singer who didn't think that Paul Rodgers has an amazing voice. In the rock singing world, he is simply rated as one of the best. I think what Brian is trying to say is that Freddie would've also of been of this opinion. That's not to mean that he sat at home listening to Free albums all day but that he would have been aware of PR and would have held a certain amount of respect for him in the same way a guitarist would for Jeff Beck or Jimi Hendrix. So I think what Brian says is true, Freddie would have liked and respected PR, probably didnt buy his records, but I think BM's words are purposely left open to interpretation maybe to give the venture more validity.

Zak Royen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 114 posts

Posted: 04 May 08, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero wrote:

. (It's pretty amazing how some people haven't noticed that after Hot Space, Mr Bad Guy and Barcelona.)

it's pretty amazing how seriously you seem to take yourself.
are you and Guru one and the same?

"I can't play the game of life to win"
Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 04 May 08, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zak Royen wrote:

Tero wrote:

. (It's pretty amazing how some people haven't noticed that after Hot Space, Mr Bad Guy and Barcelona.)

it's pretty amazing how seriously you seem to take yourself.
are you and Guru one and the same?

I'm just me, and I wouldn't say I take myself all that seriously. (I also don't insult other people even when they are rude towards me and ignore the actual discussion.)

I do have the habit of answering seriously to other people's serious posts, but I can be just as lighthearted as the poster I'm replying to.

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 04 May 08, 20:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kirkpatrickuk wrote:

Having worked in the music biz for the last 13 years, I can't remember ever meeting a singer who didn't think that Paul Rodgers has an amazing voice. In the rock singing world, he is simply rated as one of the best. I think what Brian is trying to say is that Freddie would've also of been of this opinion. That's not to mean that he sat at home listening to Free albums all day but that he would have been aware of PR and would have held a certain amount of respect for him in the same way a guitarist would for Jeff Beck or Jimi Hendrix. So I think what Brian says is true, Freddie would have liked and respected PR, probably didnt buy his records, but I think BM's words are purposely left open to interpretation maybe to give the venture more validity.

Well said.
That's exactly it.

I can easily see Freddie saying that to Brian in defiance of being asked to sing something bluesy, which really wasn't his thing.

Posted: 04 May 08, 23:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After having worked in the music biz for the last 13 years you have to know such things like PR campaign, marketing, publicity...

C'mon, guys, the only reason why this Freddie's quote seems to be authentic is in using the word 'fucking' in it. I'm really not sure if Paul Rodgers needs in such kind of defence. That decries his own weight in that music biz.

Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts

Posted: 05 May 08, 00:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"He always really enjoyed Paul’s work. He used to have a go at me in the studio when I tried to have him sing bluesy stuff. He’d say, ‘Brian, you’re trying to make me fucking sound like Paul Rodgers, and I can’t do it!’” Brian May in that interview.

Brian May never fails to disappoint me lately. Why even say something like that, even if it were true, which I doubt. Does he seriously mean to suggest that although he was lucky enough to have a unique vocalist like Freddie Mercury he wanted to make him sing like someone else?? This is just yet another lame attempt to "sell" Rodgers as the vocalist for "Queen".

Just have the balls to let the music do the talking please Mr May, without going to ever increasingly ridiculous attempts to justify teaming up with Paul Rodgers. It's not even fair on Paul Rodgers himself, a vocalist who shouldn't need to be justified in such a lame manner.

If anything this displays that May is well aware of the public's lack of confidence in the CONCEPT of an incarnation of Queen without Mercury, not anyone's musical ability.

Sadly, the passing of Freddie Mercury comes off lately sounding like a liberating musical experience for Brian May.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 05 May 08, 02:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, I trust Brian May more than anyone in this thread when it comes to quoting Freddie.

HOWEVER, and this is a biggy; no one really knows the context of the quote.

Who says that Freddie was worshipping Paul Rodgers by saying this? Maybe he was just throwing the name of a contemporary blues singer in the air??

You people really need to spend more time thinking and less time bitching.

Posted: 05 May 08, 02:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you trust more to Brian, then welcome to the world where My Fairy King is from QII and the magic toy koto sounds are in Teo Torriate.

I more trust to Freddie in quoting Freddie than to anyone else in this thread and the world. Ritchie, Michael, Franklin, Plant, nothing has been said about Rodgers. John's mentioned All Right Now as his fave song, that's true, but not Freddie. End of story. Period. Fact. Get over it.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 05 May 08, 03:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never considered Bad Company as blues

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 344 posts

Posted: 05 May 08, 04:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Maybe he was just throwing the name of a contemporary blues singer in the air??

You people really need to spend more time thinking and less time bitching.

More time thinking? Like you can talk! It must be wonderful to be so naive! You could see no reason as to why May would be pushing Rodgers in such a fashion at this point in time? Not sure if you've heard, but there's a new Queen album out soon with somebody else singing on it. A lot of people are unsure of the idea.

When you get older you'll discover your sense of cynicism develops.

If it was nothing more than a throw away name with no real credit implied, why use it?

It gets under people's skin because the quote is used to suggest that Mercury was no Paul Rodgers when it comes to the blues.

Of course he wasn't, he was Freddie Mercury. The once irreplaceable front man for Queen....until Rodgers came along and singing "bluesy" like Rodgers is now revealed to be something beyond Mercury's vocal abilities, which frustrated Brian's attempts at "blues" in Queen.

Not being able to sound like Paul Rodgers really held them back in the old days, didn't it?

Sorry, but I fear Brian May has lost the plot.