Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Get the point yet with Blu-Ray discs?!!

forum rss feed
Author

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 08, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Get the point yet with Blu-Ray discs?!! Someone else is doing it after all but NOT Queen because you all are F@#%$*)@ MORONS!!! READ THE LINK D@$^# IT!

http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=10108

Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts

Posted: 08 May 08, 22:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/Smittygecko/5x7-toaster-frt.jpg

Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 08 May 08, 23:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I got your point about about Neil Young's archive set last year about twenty topics ago, there's no reason to repeat it.

Did you get my point last time that the pisspoor Queen management doesn't want to release anything from their archives, regardless of what formats there are available?

Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly TERO.Enough said Alex unless Mr. Brooks would care to add to this.

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is indeed obvious that there is no intention to release anything from the bands archives - they won't even release the fucking poxy BBC recordings. They have refused to release ANYTHING that would be of any interest to their MASSIVE hardcore fan base. They think releasing a singles collection is extremely interesting, when it will only (possibly) feature a handful of versions of songs that were only available on vinyl. It will sell poorly and will probably be used to reason why they aren't releasing any more bosets. But what is their motivation for them to keep insinuating that they're going to release mamoth boxsets? Are they just trying to keep fans interested in the band with this bullshit talk?

gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

They have refused to release ANYTHING that would be of any interest to their MASSIVE hardcore fan base.
... their hardcore fan base is anything but "MASSIVE" ...

--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)

Posted: 09 May 08, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The point is that if Queen want to release a Blu-Ray disc in a box set down the road they STILL CAN but in the meantime hopefully the industry will be doing what Neil Young is and that is releasing loads of things from the archives on each l.p. on their own Blu-Ray disc! Now's the opportunity for the entire industry to do this! Shoot they could put the entire 10 c.d. singles box set on ONE Blu-Ray disc AND have 5.1 for it. Obviously it would still cost as much as a 10 c.d. set but that wouldn't matter as it would be so much better to have so fewer discs! They could still also do it in a box like the Freddie Mercury "Solo Collection" released in the year 2000.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One small scratch and your whole collection is fucked

Posted: 09 May 08, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gnomo wrote:

Negative Creep wrote:

They have refused to release ANYTHING that would be of any interest to their MASSIVE hardcore fan base.
... their hardcore fan base is anything but "MASSIVE" ...

Nonsense.

Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen do not give a fuck about the fans especially the long term ones.I am sick of all these pointless re-issues: Queen Japanese mini-vinyls,Platinum Collection,Live at the Bowl with Live Aid tacked on disc 2.i bought the 4 disc live aid box set soley for this performance.

Queen Rocks only had 1 new song and a remix of I Can't Live With You on it.

Fair enough we got the very good Video Hits 1 and 2 on DVD and the Freddie box set.

The band have enough money at this stage of their lives why can't they give something back as Alex says, the blu-ray concept is a great idea, to release the album again but with additional content:they could include the promo videos of the singles, making of documentaries, demoes etc. They could include them in one massive box set or have them released individually to give people a choice of which albums they wanted.

I dunno really what their fucking problem is, but they can fuck off with their so called album and tour, i won't be going to it,"Cosmos Rocks" indeed, "Cashcow Rocks" is more like it!

Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't give a crap about Blu-Ray. Disc based media is on it's way out. In <5 years everything will be downloads and/or solid-state RAM.

The jump from VHS to DVD was way bigger than the jump from DVD to Blu-Ray.

I honestly think it's not going to succeed as a media. HD-DVD dying was not good news for Blu-Ray, it's a rejection of the idea of disc-based movie technology. Playstation 3 is saving Blu-Ray's ass right now, without counting those sales as "player sales", Blu-Ray would already be dead.

Why would I want to buy the band's back catalogue again anyway?

Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To back up my point with numbers.

Transformers DVD sold over 13 million units on it's own.

Blu-Ray discs are forcasted at 15 million units this year, all titles combined.

Yes. The price of the discs will drop and people will start buying more, but I really don't see Blu-Ray as becoming the "people's choice" like VHS and DVD.

Posted: 09 May 08, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mooghead these new discs are highly scratch resistant. Please read about it at Blu-Ray.com

Other than that yes digital downloads are the future but a physical format will be needed as well in order to back up everything. A physical format will be needed as well since digital downloads do not provide the best sound quality as possible. Would it bother you all in the slightest if everything stored in your computer were lost when it crashes? All machines break at some point.

The reason HD-D.V.D. failed was not because people are not intereseted in a physical format. It failed because since day one it was an inferior technology to Blu-Ray sold STRICTLY to take advantage of the public's ignorance and was publiced day in and out with lies.

In terms of the sales of Blu-Ray over all they are much better than when d.v.d. started as a new format. Obviously everyone are not going to convert automatically.

You all need to realise the the music industry is just that. An industry. If you can't compete then you will loose your business. It does not matter what I think or the fans (at least individually) or more specific the public. I am pointing out what is going on in the industry and I think it is EXTREAMLY exciting. This looks like something that will allow Queen to open up their archives significantly over the next few years...

...oh yes. About the course language in my first post...I should not have been so explicit and freaked out so much...sorry. I think I'll edit it shortly.

Posted: 09 May 08, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AlexRocks wrote:

This looks like something that will allow Queen to open up their archives significantly over the next few years...

Erm.... not if QPL have no interest or desire to release anything from said archive.

Anyway - I don't see bluray as being a medium for music. How would that work? You'd have to transfer the files from the disc to your hard drive, then on to a CD to be able to listen to them. CD isn't going anywhere in a hurry (tests have proven that higher bitrates for music make no difference to humans), and legal downloads are only a fraction of the market.

Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DARREN1977 wrote:

Queen do not give a fuck about the fans especially the long term ones...

Fair enough we got the very good Video Hits 1 and 2 on DVD and the Freddie box set.

I dunno really what their fucking problem is, but they can fuck off with their so called album and tour, i won't be going to it,"Cosmos Rocks" indeed, "Cashcow Rocks" is more like it!

I think it's time for Queen to appeal to younger audiences and to new fans, really. The re-issues, with better sound and info, are a way to do it - and, believe me, if you want to appeal to new audiences, releasing the concert at MK and the one in Montrel, 1981-1982, in very good sound and image quality, Blu-ray, DTS and so on, was the right way to do it: Queen never sounded more impressive. They were at the peak of their form as a band and both concerts are stunning for the absolutely incredible performance of the band.

More impressive doesn't mean better: of course there are a lot of fans who would prefer the 70's stuff, but bear in mind that the sheer power of Queen's sound comes to its full potential around 1981-1982, and the MK and RM DVDS (now Rock Montreal with Live aid in Blu-Ray) are the way to go. Nothing more impressive for new fans who have been brought up accostumed with another kind of technology.

Doing the Musical, releasing the NEW ALBUM, which is the most important, appealing to a new audience is a way of spurring the interest for Queen's earlier stuff.

Queen is still alive and playing. They have a potential new audience to appeal to.

I'm part of this audience: ME. lol I still wanna go to a Queen concert, I wanna see Paul Rodgers too, for sure, I want to listen to their new songs, I still haven't had enough of Montreal 81 and Milton Keynes, I love their performance in Live Aid, the Greatest Hits are amazing, I mean, it takes some time to really enjoy all this material.

And, frankly, Queen never did any effort, as far as I know, to shut down this website - long term fans get pretty much what they want here, there's a lot of stuff, it takes a whole life to listen to and enjoy it all. So no one's losing, I guess. Queen fans don't have so much to complain about.

I'm a die-hard Stones and Beatles fan. I can't, I'm serious, I can't deal with all the stuff that has been released. It's too much. I mean, the Stones, I was still enjoying the whatever live CD or DVD they released 10 years ago and there are tons of new stuff, and singles, and live concerts, and documentaries, and all you could ask for: I can't follow it. So, how it all worked for me?

Obviouslly, I started to become a fan of the new Rolling Stones - the Rolling Stones of the boxset with the new live concerts AND the new songs in DTS and so on. I watch that video recorded in Hyde Park - official release -, I mean, it's musically interesting, but absolutely unappealing. Appeal zero. Music? Great. Appeal? Zero. The new stuff is more exciting, frankly.

For sure, Queen is going to release the earlier stuff, probably this year there will be another release in excellent quality, with commentary of the guys of the band, and new fans like me will get stunned: wow, this is how Queen sounded like in, I don't know, 79?

I mean, I think they will take advantage of the technology. But they have been building a new fan base too and that should not be disregarded. It'd be awkward to release a huge box as if it were the band's last statement.

They will be going to release a boxset and, believe me, just like happened to the Stones, a lot of people who will enjoy it will be youngsters like myself who have been introduced to the bands by the earlier generations of friends, parents, or through the internet.

OLD FAN, you have already WATCHED MERCURY SINGING LIVE IN YOUR FACE. lol So, sit back, relax, download your favorite 70's stuff here, watch it, have a good time and, don't forget, many of you had the pleasure

Yara
Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 735 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The players are very expensive.

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 20:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Daniel Nester wrote:

Many people who earn the minimum wage in Brazil (!), which is really...a low salary, have DVDs and modest home-theaters.

They'd rather watch the DVD of Queen's concert at MK or the newly remastered DVD Rock Montreal with Live Aid than the Houston gig, 77, the image of which can't be improved that much. Neither the sound. And though the show was great, Queen sounds more impressive to people in their later years, 1981-1982, mainly, and also 1985-1986. Eventually, they'll release the earlier material when people take an interest in the band: youngsters, new fans, or even people who hadn't access to their music in good quality and now, thanks to the advances made in technology, can, at a much lower cost!

Blu-Ray players will get cheaper over time, just like DVD players.

The rest of what I think is in the earlier post, and I won't write it again because there were good, well intentioned people who already complained to me about the length of my posts, and that I should be more brief, it's true. Hahaha.

So I stop here!

Yara
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Daniel Nester wrote:

True, but they are dropping in price. DVD players used to be very expensive too. I think that by the end of the year you will see Blu-ray players drop in price considerably. Personally after watching movies on Blu-Ray I just won't buy any movies on DVD again.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Champipple wrote:

I don't give a crap about Blu-Ray. Disc based media is on it's way out. In <5 years everything will be downloads and/or solid-state RAM.

I'll believe that when I see it. It may happen, but not in 5 years. Downloads only appear to a small vocal group at the moment. The ability to download a HD movie in full 1080p with uncompressed audio is not even close to being realized. Downloads of that size will simply choke ISPs at the moment. Blu-Ray discs hold up to 50Gb of data. Do you have any idea how long that would take to download? Nevermind how much disc space you would need to hold all those movies. Heck 20 movies could potentially use 1TB of space.

I personally have no interest in downloading movies. For one thing I can't resell a download once I grow tired of it.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 02:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DARREN1977 wrote:

Live at the Bowl with Live Aid tacked on disc 2.i bought the 4 disc live aid box set soley for this performance.

You probably have very special edition of Live at the Bowl, since we have interviews and snippets from Japan concert on disc 2.