Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > This is Our Last Dance

forum rss feed
Author

QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 May 08, 09:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In Under PRessure (or at least the 1992 Classic Queen remix of it that appears on most Queen and Bowie compliations), we hear a voice join David Bowie for the ending crescendo (Caring about ourselves/This is our last dance/This is our last dance). Now, I always assumed this to be Freddie Mercury, but listening in headphones very carefully the other day, it sounded almost raspy...could it actually be Roger Taylor?

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, it's Roger. Great combination of voices: Roger + David. They should've done it more often (e.g. in 'Strange Frontier').

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 735 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always wondered when or why Queen et al. decided to remix UP to include Roger's part, as well as those extra "people on the streets."

I asked about a definitive list of versions of this song, but everyone seems to think of this version as being the same as the single, Hot Space version, and Greatest Hits version, which I think are all the same mix.

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quick and clean: The 1981 single version is the same as the HOT SPACE version. Original GREATEST HITS 2 releases had an special edit (by David Richards) omitting one of the "This is our last dance" lines. CLASSIC QUEEN (US and Canada-only CD/CT) has an alternative mix (also by David Richards) with some minor lyric changes. (Both David Richards versions can also be found in other compilations and/or soundtracks.) 1999 retakes are of course another story...

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki, mi viejo. Always making it very clear that I don't know a thing about Queen :)

The funny thing is that I have all of those versions and I have already found myself singing along one extra part of "this is our last dance" when the CD didn't feature it. Now I know why LOL

Abrazo,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 735 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki -- I wish you were around to confirm those versions. All I got before was "there's one version, duh."

Would love to have the complete sessions of this song. And I'm glad there's more Roger in the David Richards takes.

D

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 09 May 08, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I LOVE the idea of being able to hear Roger's voice!!!! I have always been fascinated by the idea of "the drummer" singing!!! Rock on!!! I just wish that somewhere inside the "Classic Queen" insert booklet it said that this was a remix. I had no idea until recent years though I did notice that certain releases (Bowie or even other Queen releases) had a shorter version of the song.

Freddie May user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 05:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nobody interested in this ?

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=1101133

It could be great IMO ;)