Forums > Queen - General Discussion > rogers drumming over the years

forum rss feed
Author

BradJarre user not visiting Queenzone.com
BradJarre
Royalty: 1086 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 May 08, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think that the best drumming roger ever did was from 82-86.
his worst is the 2005-2006 tour.
On i want it all from sheffield you can hear that he droppes a beat every now and then.
listen to the drummer from the stones(charlie watts or something) he never loses a beat and he is 4 or 5 years older).

IF ANY ONE WANTS MY MSN ITS TOPGEAR1990@HOTMAIL.COM

I love cool edit pro.

Working on a tribute cd and need some input for songs from you:D

HugoWanKenobi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 09 May 08, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Obviously you know nothing about drums if you compare Roger Taylor vs Charlie Watts...

Viva Mexico...Viva!
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 02:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

innuendo1990 wrote:

he is 4 or 5 years older).

He's kinda 50 years older if you'd look at him. But actually he's 8 years older.

dbruce user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 163 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Charlie Watts has to be one of the worst rock drummers I've ever heard. His drumming on A Bigger Bang sounded like he was struggling to keep up, and was what spoiled that album for me.

Roger's drumming on the QPR tour was one thing that amazed me - that at his age he still had that power. Just listen to FBG or Love With My Car.

Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Charlie Watts and Larry Mullen from U2 are rubbish

Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 04:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DARREN1977 wrote:

Charlie Watts and Larry Mullen from U2 are rubbish
Larry Mullen? Come on!

It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
olly1988 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 159 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger was very impressive on the Q+PR tour in my opinion. He still has a feel that not many people have, and him and Brian still make an incredible 'Queen' Sound.
He may not look as comfortable behind a kit as he did and may not have as much attack, but he's older now and carrying a bit more weight. I think he's fantastic with all them considerations aside. He was allways about feel, and he still has tonnes of it!
Charlie watts my arse!! Bag of steaming shit!

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 06:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My brother and I were talking about Roger's drumming and even when he kicks out the most basic 4/4 beat, it still sounds great! Roger has that ability that many don't, i.e. make it interesting, no matter what.

Adam.

Queen Sweden 1986 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Party!

Rocker: 30 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 07:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was extremely bad sound from Roger Taylor's drums during "the works tour." Something better was that in "the magic tour." By contrast, the drumming sounds great during the Queen + PR years 2005-2006.

Come back and play, come back and play,

We got all night all day...
martinusx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 10 May 08, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Roger's drumming peaked around '77. I have the Houston and Earl's Court shows and I think there he has great versatillity and great feel. The '81-'82 shows are great too. Then he went more basic in '84 en '85, and the sound of his kitt was truely horrible in both these tours. If you listen to the sound of wembley and compare it with the sound of Montreal of Milton Keynes, I cannot understand why he switched equipment.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger currently sound much better. Hid didn't sound so good since the early 70s. Sheffield is a very bad concert, try to listen to some audience recordings from some good concerts

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

innuendo1990 wrote:

On i want it all from sheffield you can hear that he droppes a beat every now and then.
listen to the drummer from the stones(charlie watts or something) he never loses a beat and he is 4 or 5 years older).

Having watched the dvd, I cant see where you are coming from on I want it all. And besides, sometimes Roger plays with the emphasis on the backbeat. As for Charlie Watts being better than Rog..... give me break... Ringo Starr was better than him.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

innuendo1990 wrote:

You're not the best judge.

I was recently (like yesterday) wacthing Roger on the Queen cam from Wembley. Fuck wacth now I'm here at the end, it's class Roger rocks - he hits the hi-hat twice then hits the snare around 6 times fast, and smashes into the cymbals he just looks the image of a rock star and you know he's enjoying it - FANTASTIC.

Also on One Vision Queen Cam on Roger - the solo, roger does the same fill aroun 20 times, looks at Brian for the break then hits the snare and back into the beat, just class.

How can you say that Roger doing Let There Be Drums sounds crap? Only prob I have with his dums on that tour is that they could be 10% crispier.

He drops a beat every now and again...WTF are you some sort of musical genius?

Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Una, Innuendo 1990 is obsessed with Freddie and AIDS.He is a morbid bastard

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts

Posted: 10 May 08, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DARREN1977 wrote:

Una, Innuendo 1990 is obsessed with Freddie and AIDS.He is a morbid bastard

I know absolutely. Obsessed with the period 1988-1991, the Miracle and Innuendo. Maybe it's a phase thing I don't know

Kingswife user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 18 May 08, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you cannot compare charlie watts and roger taylor - concerning her style and techniwque, they are completely different. IMHO Watts is a superb drummer. watch him playing in the movie shine a light and you will know what i mean.
taylor on the other hand now uses an "amplified" drum-kit, so that he doesn't have to play as hard as normal. that says a lot, doesn't it?

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 22 May 08, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to agree that Roger was at his peak live between about 77 and 81. Just check out his solo in Keep Yourself Alive on Earls Court, or the solidity, power and tastefulness on Montreal 81 (Somebody To Love, I'm In Love With My Car).

I was at Brixton for the first 2005 QPR show an was actually amazed at the vigour and attack he put into his playing on that show. As with all musicians, his style has changed over the years, and we won't see 3 minute tom and snare fills and rolls etc.. in the middle of songs like Flick of The Wrist or Great King Rat simply because the songs they now play don't call for it.

I think you must really also consider that Roger really hadn't played seriously for nearly 20 years by the time of the 2005 shows, and now he was also playing with a virtually new band. Taking into account the effect this gap would have on his 'chops', and also the fact that he's nearly sixty, I think he's doing exceptionally well.

I won't slag Charlie Watts off, but will say that he is not in any list of favourite drummers of mine, but give him his dues to keep going. There are lots of drummers in big name bands of Roger's age that have been playing consistently over the years (Tico Torres n Bon Jovi, Joey Kramer in Aerosmith etc..), and I just think it's a real shame that we've missed out on 20 years of seeing and hearing Roger do what he does best.

Sound wise - love the 70's kits, and the Montreal Ludwig kit sounds very individual and nice. the Works tour sound is not great, and Magic Tour is a completely different sound with the Yamaha, but quite nice. I'm so glad he's back to the nice ambient sounding classic rock type kits which Trip Khalaf makes sound great at the gigs, but Justin Shirley-Smith completely ruins on record.

By the way - why the hell hasn't Roger had a signature snare drum made by anyone? He has the most distinctive snare sound of any of the 'big name' drummers and this would sell like hotcakes!

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 22 May 08, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kingswife wrote:

taylor on the other hand now uses an "amplified" drum-kit, so that he doesn't have to play as hard as normal. that says a lot, doesn't it?

Yes, duh, I've always wondered why they put SM57s on snare drums.
It's so you don't have to hit the drums as hard, eh?

What exactly is an "amplified" drum-kit anyway? Who makes this unique item? I'm actually looking for a "timed" drum-kit, cause my timing is shit. Perhaps a "pocket" drum-kit for those who can't keep up with their bass players?

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 22 May 08, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger was at his best from 74 through to about 81/82. I personally prefer the 74/75 era as the band played slower, allowing Roger to play with more of a feel. There was a major drop in ability and stamina for the Works/Magic tours. The drumming on the Q+PR tour was laughable - which is understanable when you consider he hasn't regularly played for about 2 decades.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 23 May 08, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

Kingswife wrote:

Yes, duh, I've always wondered why they put SM57s on snare drums.
It's so you don't have to hit the drums as hard, eh?

What exactly is an "amplified" drum-kit anyway? Who makes this unique item? I'm actually looking for a "timed" drum-kit, cause my timing is shit. Perhaps a "pocket" drum-kit for those who can't keep up with their bass players?

Hee hee!! :)