Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > New Fan Cover: TMLWKY by Adam Baboolal and friends

forum rss feed
Author

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 May 08, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here is the long awaited entry by Adam and his friends- Too Much Love Will Kill you.

Enjoy:)

I do not want any google ads here.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 19 May 08, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barbara, the link on the mainpage doesnt work for some reason. I clicked on it and all I got was this

"Sorry! Page not found
Sorry the page you are looking for couldn't be found.

Please use the menu, or our search engine to locate the information you are looking for"

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 19 May 08, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, yeah. This is even worse than having to go from the alert here on the forum, back to the front page to get the file, and back here to discuss it (since the goddamn link is never included)

This was one I looked forward to.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 19 May 08, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey folks, here it is - http://www.mediafire.com/?3zmtjuhldzz (7.8MB)

Adam.

YourValentine

Posted: 19 May 08, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh sorry, I did not expect it does not work, because this is a first. I am afraid there are still not all pages connected to the new server.

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 19 May 08, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very nice work Adam. A lot of heart and soul in the singing and piano. I have to be honest though, when the drums and guitar come in... well, first the timing seems just slightly off a few times, and the solo itself is kind of plain and lacks the feeling to match the rest of the song.

It's still very good though...

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 19 May 08, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I'm surprised DF - timing issues? What ones are they?

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 02:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Well, I'm surprised DF - timing issues? What ones are they?

The snare/tom roll that leads into the guitar solo is not very smooth. It seems too slow and not very well-paced. Also, the drums sound like they were programmed with a MIDI sequencer and soundfont...really lacks resonance and a powerful, heavy live sound. It is just so weak and lifeless.

Adam, I have a drum set and very good equipment I can use for recording drums. I am willing to record a new drum track for you if you would like that.

Also, the "that it's" part in the line "can't you see that it's impossible to choose..." sounds like a CD is skipping on those two words. Just thought I'd point that out.

Otherwise, it's a very good effort :)
I like it.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 20 May 08, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listen, I think these "issues" are our personal choices and we're happy with the song the way it is.

Inu - The drums sound weak and lifeless? The drums are from BFD/Andy John series and those sounds are top notch stuff. Maybe it's a personal taste thing. I know some people prefer one drum set over another. So if they sound weak, I can't tell you why you hear that.

And dude, a cd skipping? Thanks for mocking my singing voice. :(

Adam.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was going to comment on the drum sound but my preferences in that area seem to change with the seasons... I'm a whore for the EZDrummer library myself.

I quite like the way you sung it.

You've got a great guitar sound going there, bravo. The solo itself... I definitely commend some parts of it, you had the right idea by trying to vary from the Queen one. Some parts seemed to double up on each other, where you could've gone in a different direction.
As I said, a great sound though.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 20 May 08, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The doubling up may be from where I've used the two mics on the solo guitar. I had a close-up mic (Shure Beta57a) and a distance mic (Rode NT2A). And as the solo got further in, I started to really use both mics together more. Also, there was a mistake in the solo that I cut out and tried to marry to the 2nd take, but there is a slight doubling effect there. I just thought I wouldn't lie about it, if it came up! So, yeah, two takes stitched together at that point (3:14).

The only thing I wondered about with the drums were the snare sounds. I could've tweaked that for days, but I think I got a nice compromise which I'm happy with. I think the important thing was to get it out the door before I spent more and more time tweaking that snare. See...now I'm thinking about those drums! Mainly cause there's an overall compression which tightened it all up. I dunno what to think now. Maybe I should revisit those drums. But just coz of the overall compression, nothin more.

Adam.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just so I'm sure we're talking about the same thing,
when I say 'doubling up' I was referring to the guitar melody repeating itself at one or two points.
The mic-ing itself sounded great!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury

Posted: 20 May 08, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inu-liger wrote:

Also, the "that it's" part in the line "can't you see that it's impossible to choose..." sounds like a CD is skipping on those two words. Just thought I'd point that out.

Its sounds fine on my player. You must have a slightly corrupt file then. Try downloading it again.

Adam who?????
Mr Mercury

Posted: 20 May 08, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

The doubling up may be from where I've used the two mics on the solo guitar. I had a close-up mic (Shure Beta57a) and a distance mic (Rode NT2A). And as the solo got further in, I started to really use both mics together more. Also, there was a mistake in the solo that I cut out and tried to marry to the 2nd take, but there is a slight doubling effect there. I just thought I wouldn't lie about it, if it came up! So, yeah, two takes stitched together at that point (3:14).

The only thing I wondered about with the drums were the snare sounds. I could've tweaked that for days, but I think I got a nice compromise which I'm happy with. I think the important thing was to get it out the door before I spent more and more time tweaking that snare. See...now I'm thinking about those drums! Mainly cause there's an overall compression which tightened it all up. I dunno what to think now. Maybe I should revisit those drums. But just coz of the overall compression, nothin more.

Adam.

As you know from before, I really liked the sound of the guitar on this and now I also like the sound of the piano. What set up did you use for that?

As for the drums, just leave them be Adam they are fine as well.

At times I thought your singing sounded quite like Brian's voice when he did his version. No bad thing at all.

All in all, I'd say 8 out ot 10 for this. Well done Adam.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 20 May 08, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury

Mad McMax!!!
wrote:

Thanks dude. Appreciate that.

The piano is a SteinwayB Grand Piano from East West Colossus. http://www.eastwestsamples.com/details.php?cd_index=961
I tend to use that a lot for just playing and Stuart (who plays piano btw) makes it sound very nice here.

Yeah, just listened through the song and I'm 99% happy with it. I'll leave it as is. :)

Adam.

EDIT: Just in-case you were querying the guitar setup Mr M, it was = BHM 2006 > Electrolead RSB > AC30CC2X. I then used GuitarRig2 for the chorusing effect which I heard could sound similar to a CE1 pedal.

Adam who?????
Mr Mercury

Posted: 20 May 08, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Mr Mercury

Mad McMax!!!
wrote:

Thanks dude. Appreciate that.

The piano is a SteinwayB Grand Piano from East West Colossus. http://www.eastwestsamples.com/details.php?cd_index=961
I tend to use that a lot for just playing and Stuart (who plays piano btw) makes it sound very nice here.

Yeah, just listened through the song and I'm 99% happy with it. I'll leave it as is. :)

Adam.

Thanks for that. I have listened to this version a few times now. The piano sounds nice and sweet here. I also like the fact that this version isnt an exact "paint by numbers" version. Very good indeed.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 20 May 08, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably for the first time ever, we decided it should be different. I'll tell the story...

In the beginning..! It was Stu's idea to do a piano and vocal version. Simple. But a few days after Stu n Al had left it with me, I tinkered with it and tacked on a Queen MIH type ending. Once I'd done that, I wanted some acoustic guitars in the song. Then...well, just 3 weeks ago Stu re-recorded his piano cause he wasn't quite happy with things. After that was finalised, Al (our 2nd guitarist) and I recorded acoustic guitar parts from the start of the song. After doing a lead vocal, it was just a case of finding time to put it all together and edit it. I should also put a shout out to my brother Ben who added his real cymbals and (unwittingly) the trademark Roger hi-hat hits. Unwittingly cause I stole those from our other cover, Save Me.

Adam.

Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People here are waaaaaaay too picky...

Adam, well done! It sounds like you all had a blast doing your own version of the song, and, to me, that's what it's all about.

For some here to criticize minute timing issues just really, really puzzles me. We're not pros, we don't have producers in studio to "fix" things.

We just plug in, have fun, and do what comes to us.

Again, well done.

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
YourValentine

Posted: 20 May 08, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I totally agree, I think it's great.

The link works now, I apologize for the error.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Listen, I think these "issues" are our personal choices and we're happy with the song the way it is.

Inu - The drums sound weak and lifeless? The drums are from BFD/Andy John series and those sounds are top notch stuff. Maybe it's a personal taste thing. I know some people prefer one drum set over another. So if they sound weak, I can't tell you why you hear that.

Well, I'm comparing the drum sounds not only against the original Queen recordings, but against my own band's as well. Roger and myself are similar in that we both like a crisp yet powerful drum sound.

I have a custom kit based on a Gretch setup (although we are awaiting a new custom Mapex Saturn kit to come in some time this year), and I've tweaked it to get a really good sound.
You can hear the snare from the set on the kit I used at our first show earlier this year, which you can view on YouTube through the links on our website http://www.unbalanced.ca

And dude, a cd skipping? Thanks for mocking my singing voice. :(

Adam.

I didn't intend to mock your voice.

However, I also hate to point it out, but you sometimes are the Simon Cowell of Queenzone, so it's my turn to give you my constructive criticism.

Anyways, my offer still stands to provide a new drum track.