Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > LACK of Queen product!?!? W.T.F.

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 May 08, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear all the lovely QZ-ers. And the gits too (mustn't forget them)...

I note with more than a little intrigue, and bewilderment (I suppose you'd call it) this comment on my recent THE LAST TIME thread...

"Alex dear, if you compare the lack of Queen products to other artists, please try to find an artist who has made LESS of an effort."

I have seen comments of this nature before on QZ, and it always baffles me. Why? Well, because, in no particular order...

1. Myself and VERY MANY other Queen fans have been collecting Queen 'product' for 30 years or more, yes THIRTY YEARS, three entire decades, and STILL we do not have all there is, nor even close to it. Because there is SO MUCH to find. It's never ending.

2. My sitting room and office at home is FILLED with Queen CDs, LPs, 7" and 12" singles, CDs, books, mags, programs, tour passes, posters, t-shirts, promo items, books, badges, videos, cassettes, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, BUT STILL there is never enough room, so I've also filled my attic and garage area.

3. Like many other fans/collectors I know, having now filled my own home with Queen 'stuff', I've recently lumbered my mum with copious boxes to store for me.

4. In the book i am currently working on... Queen memorabilia, we have in excess of 430 different projects to cover, with more and more and more coming to our attention all the time. 12 entire pages on the NOTW album 'might' just be enough if we cram it all in... the 400 items we have to show JUST for that one album... one album of approx 80 that need to be represented. This gives you a hint of the sheer scale of this thing.

5. We hoped to cover everything in 320 pages, but this week I realise it cannot be done in less than 360... not PROPERLY anyway. So VASTLY VAST is the collection we're trying to illustrate.

6. Other than the BEATLES, I have never seen such a mammoth and gigantic array of 'product' all pertaining to one artist, as I know to exist in the Queen world.

7. It is my estimation that there are between 7-9,000 Queen 'products' that 'could' in theory feature in the aforementioned book. I certainly have photos pertaining to over 7,000 different items. 3-4,000 I downloaded from the net over the past decade... which you too, Tero, can see if you go looking.

8. So, when you say, "please try to find an artist who has made LESS of an effort" I am incredulous, because it is my considered opinion that EVERY SINGLE ARTIST on planet Earth, except the Beatles (and probably Elvis, Abba, Rolling Stones, Bowie, Dylan and a couple of others) has actually done exactly that, Tero.... several million artists past and present have ALL "made LESS of an effort." It is nearly impossible to make MORE effort than Queen, in fact.

9. I know several people whose collections of Queen stuff has cost them tens of thousands of pounds, possibly over 100 grand (in UK lolly)... tons of stuff everywhere you look. Moreover, their collecting of thousand of items has cost them their marriage or house. Such stories are not uncommon.

I therefore conclude that this comment (and others like it)... "Alex dear, if you compare the lack of Queen products to other artists, please try to find an artist who has made LESS of an effort." is TOTALLY and COMPREHENSIVELY without foundation or sense, or fore-thought. It is completely ludicrous and ill-considered on all levels and is the opinion of a person that evidently knows nothing about the massive depth of product to have emerged in the name of Queen since 1971.

Tero, my dear.... stop being so very very silly and ill-informed.

Look at all the Queen sites, especially Queenconcerts.com and Queenmuseum, and see how voluminous and varied the MASS of Queen releases is, and also realise that Queen has relea

GB
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2254 posts

Posted: 19 May 08, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

3. Like many other fans/collectors I know, having now filled my own home with Queen 'stuff', I've recently lumbered my mum with copious boxes to store for me.

LOL, same here, Greg. Poor old ladies... :)

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 19 May 08, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I totally, completely, absolutely agree.

Though I'd only add that, apart from the official releases, which I didn't get enough of yet, by no means, I enjoy listening to the concerts and albums with care and relaxed, there's also a huge unofficial high-quality archive build by dedicated fans which is a great witness to the fans' respect and love for the band and their committment at preserving the band's history and going out of their way to make this all available in the best possible quality.

So, I think that we have tons of Queen material, official and unofficial, and I THANK YOU ALL, GREG AND ALSO ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE HERE AND ELSEWHERE - Tapers, collectors, people who study Queen's history and music and dedicate their time to dragging people into Queen's music - WHO HAVE BEEN DOING SUCH A GREAT WORK.

LOVE YOU QUEENZONERS!

THANKS GREG!

Love you Briiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

lol

Yara
Yara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1430 posts

Posted: 19 May 08, 23:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AH, and I still think that Hammersmith Odeon '79 is the greatest Queen concert ever! :-)) Though I know it's beyond repair and it wouldn't be a good DVD release. And, of course, we all have already watched it and listened to it.

So my point is: there's already a lot of Queen material out there, official and unofficial, in great quality!

Thank you all. Greg and Queenzoners.

Yara
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

-Nevermind-

cmi user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmi
Bohemian: 641 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 02:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, One year ago, when we discussed content of Queen Live archive, You have promised 70's live concert on DVD will be released this spring. Does anything from Queen (not Q+PR) will be released this year?

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I need a Queen 'We Will Rock You - The Musical" waistcoat for my chimpanzeee.

How long am I going to have to wait for this QueenProductions?

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 03:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

2. My sitting room and office at home is FILLED with Queen CDs, LPs, 7" and 12" singles, CDs, books, mags, programs, tour passes, posters, t-shirts, promo items, books, badges, videos, cassettes, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, BUT STILL there is never enough room, so I've also filled my attic and garage area.

Isn't it all re-releases and compilations and toothbrushes, though?

Who would want all of that crap?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is a thing Greg- not everybody is intrested in memorabilia, robots, pens, toothbrushes and stuff like that. It's not even about vinyls- which OI collect myself. But this is a stuff that has been released BEFORE- nad it costs more and more and more...
I think the discussion yoo are reffering to was about NEW releases- or the fact that we seem to get more "re-releases" than anything new. Bonuses on Montreal DVD were supposed to be FANTASTIC- so good we didn't get Saturday Night Show... In the end it turned ouit to be Live Aid- sth most of us already had, forking out quite few pounds when it was released as the whole thing- Live Aid triple DVD...
Anniversary ANATO? Montreal yet again? No sight of Box Sets? In terms of demos Queen is probably the LEAST represented band out there- most artists add their demos and rare edits to album re-issues... we got some crappy mixes with Hollywood Records re-issues (apart from 1 or 2 gems). And so on and so on... BBB sessions... gigs from 70s... you DO know the list Greg- it's probably the stuff YOU would love them to release too. And that's what this discussion was all about- about making an effort with NEW releases... I also have boxes and boxes of vinyls- but that's an absolutely different subject...

You will see probably 1,700-1,800 Queen items in the book I'm working on, and believe me that is NOT all of it... it's only the best of the best; the tip of the iceberg when you consider that's probably only a quarter or a fifth of it.

But most of us were talking about MUSIC- to be perfectly honest for MUSIC FANS that's really the thing that matters...

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg.. I like your idea of making and publishing a book about Queen memorabilia. Now my main question; Will there be a list of recordings that are in the archive on tape? So audio and videomasters?

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
Freddie May user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 05:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, you must be joking : 7000-9000 "queen" products, ok, but how many WORTHWILE products (no queen mousepad or clock that no-one cares about)? I'm sure queenzoners complain about the lack of original queen releases (in the musical sense) : ok we've got some live cd's and dvd's recently but still nothing from the seventies : how do you explain that ?

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The memorablia book is great and I will buy it because it is interesting to see all that stuff. So, well done!

BUT, with new releases we mean a release of Queen live in the seventies(or several for that matter), a box set from the BBC session, a box(or several for that matter) with unreleased stuff(freddie's box was indeed FANTASTIC, and freddie did relatively little outside Queen so a Queen box should be even better). When I'm at my local shop I see boxes from Springsteen(several), Dylan, Michael Jackson, The Who, the Police,...(all major artists except Queen)

Greg, in your book you write several Crazy tour shows were recorded. We all know Freddie's voice was in the best shape ever during that tour. Why not make a great 1979 release with one of those shows and lots of other stuff from Live Killers tour(would be an awesome set).

on my way up
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3030 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 08:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fenderek wrote:

This is a thing Greg- not everybody is intrested in memorabilia, robots, pens, toothbrushes and stuff like that. It's not even about vinyls- which OI collect myself. But this is a stuff that has been released BEFORE- nad it costs more and more and more...
I think the discussion yoo are reffering to was about NEW releases- or the fact that we seem to get more "re-releases" than anything new. Bonuses on Montreal DVD were supposed to be FANTASTIC- so good we didn't get Saturday Night Show... In the end it turned ouit to be Live Aid- sth most of us already had, forking out quite few pounds when it was released as the whole thing- Live Aid triple DVD...
Anniversary ANATO? Montreal yet again? No sight of Box Sets? In terms of demos Queen is probably the LEAST represented band out there- most artists add their demos and rare edits to album re-issues... we got some crappy mixes with Hollywood Records re-issues (apart from 1 or 2 gems). And so on and so on... BBB sessions... gigs from 70s... you DO know the list Greg- it's probably the stuff YOU would love them to release too. And that's what this discussion was all about- about making an effort with NEW releases... I also have boxes and boxes of vinyls- but that's an absolutely different subject...

You will see probably 1,700-1,800 Queen items in the book I'm working on, and believe me that is NOT all of it... it's only the best of the best; the tip of the iceberg when you consider that's probably only a quarter or a fifth of it.

But most of us were talking about MUSIC- to be perfectly honest for MUSIC FANS that's really the thing that matters...

Absolutely agree - the main reference to 'product' is the MUSIC, not phone cards, beer mats, badges etc...

It is simply frustrating to know that there are demos, unreleased tracks, live gigs etc.. in the archives that may never see the light of day. It is simply fact (not an unsubstantiated attack on QPL for no reason)that many 'lesser' artists have released far more interesting, rare, better presented rare stuff than Queen have. :(

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Release of 'something from 70s' is a long-time idée fixe of almost all Queen fans though they probably have heard most of their recorded gigs from that era (or at least the most significant ones). You all awating for bonus stuff on Disk 2.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't give a f**k about bullsh*t like "memorabilia" :
books, mags, programs, tour passes, posters, t-shirts, promo items, books, badges,
- Queen are / were a ROCK BAND ! Which means that we expect MUSIC. CDs, DVDs, even LPs or Blue-Rays. Is it THAT hard to understand ?

Queen productions have really wonderful collection of live videos - why are they hiding them instead of releasing them and making money of them ? I see absolutely NO logic in this.
The last at least interesting Queen product was Queen Rocks (I'm not talking about Freddie's box, it's good but it's not Queen). Another at least slightly interesting release was Milton Keynes DVD, but that's all.

When will we finally get the promised singles box set ?
When will we finally get the promised demos & rarities box set ?
When will we finally see some NEW concert on DVD ?
When will we get proper DVD releases of at least Rainbow 74, Hammersmith 75, Hyde Park 76, Earls Court 77, Paris 79, Hammersmith 79, South America 81, Japan 75/82/85 ?
When will we get the promised BBC sessions ?

The only thing what is QP doing is PROMISING. They (incl. you) promise an interesting product, and it gets either cancelled, or changes into a crap like GH3 or Queen Rock Montreal. THIS is what people are complaining about. And it's weird that somebody has to tell it to the OFFICIAL Queen archivist.

Sorry if I'm too harsh Greg but you are the only employee of QP with who we can communicate. I know you're not a part of the decision making process, but PLEASE either tell your boss(es) what the "normal" fans want or don't start topics like this one

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Queen Archivist wrote:

Isn't it all re-releases and compilations and toothbrushes, though?

Who would want all of that crap?

So Greg must have absolutely pristine oral hygiene.

What are you planning on doing with all those toothbrushes, Greg? That's what I wanna know. Screw the DVD releases and box sets, how many toothbrushes do you HAVE to have until it's enough?

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What to add?

It's true, Greg, when people moan in here about this.
We don't want new PRODUCT!
As you say yourself, there is PRODUCT enough!!

We want new MUSIC!! (as a part of that product)
And despite of a lot of new PRODUCT Queen released over the past years, there was barely ANY new MUSIC.

Though, yes, I do agree that some of the recent DVD's included one or two nice things that we (even the avid video collector) had not seen before.

And to be honest... also in relation to those convention-recordings of your sessions;
The most new MUSIC we heard for the past years has been 'delivered' by bootleggers.

If we all thought or knew that there was nothing left in the vaults, I guess we would be more fine with the situation.
But when you play those tracks at conventions, it tells people what great stuff is still out there. We are being 'told' that there are great volumes of great unheard gems in the vaults or out there.
Of course people get more hungry then!

It's like showing people a juicy steak.
You even let us smell the lucious smell of the steak.
Are you surprised that we all want to BITE?!

With all respect,
cheers

coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 402 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I patch up sick people in an ER, so know next to nothing about the work and costs invilved in putting an album together. What I don't understand is, Queen (and all bands I guess) have a lot of material that will never see the light of day. The rest will, but will be slowly released over a long period of time. Why not make the never to be released material available as downloads, that can be purchased. Hell, I would pay the going cd rate for a good version of say, Hyde Park.
I know that some people will distrubute this illegaly once available, but that happens anyway. Most hard core fans will buy it.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Greg, but I'll have to side with the chaps here on this one.

Queen to me is about the music and the videos that go with it sometimes. I really could care less about memorabilia unless it's autographed by one of the Queen guys (closest I have atm is my misprinted ROTC CD booklet autographed by Paul Rodgers :) )

I'm really getting tired of all these broken promises and double standards regarding supposed upcoming Queen releases.

Brian himself said that the extras on QRM were going to be "very exciting". What did we get? Live Aid......

....um, right. It was convenient for me anyways, cos I couldn't be arsed to shell out over $40 for the Live Aid boxset just for Queen, but that wouldn't be the case for a lot of other Queen fans.

Don't take this as criticism on your part, Greg. It's just Queen Productions in general, as well as Brian, who are really failing and cheaping out us true fans. Nearly everything Queen in the last few years has become a joke.

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 20 May 08, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg, this has kind of been said already, but I suspect the reason some QZ'ers are becoming hostile is that we finally got word of a new Queen live release, got all worked up about it...and then found out it was another Montreal '81. Word broke that another Queen product was headed to DVD soon...and it's looking like it'll be Budapest.

Meanwhile, great '70s gigs like Houston, the Rainbow, Earl's Court, and Hammy '75 and '79 sit in the archives. If the story about Hammy '79 suffering from an acute case of missing multitracks are true, I can see why that one hasn't made it out yet (although that's the one I'd most like to ses released, honestly). Earl's Court, ok, microphone problems. But why not put Rainbow and Hammy '75 together in a two-disc "Early Queen" set? Is there a concern that anything released without Crazy Little Thing, WWRY, WATC, and the full Bo Rhap would sink? Not an attack, just a question.

Maybe there's a concern on the band's part that a hugely significant '70s release might draw attention away from the upcoming Q+PR album. If so, that's also understandable, but be aware that the longer you wait to put out new videos, live CDs, and the rumored box sets, the more disenchanted some fans will become.

I'm not one of those. I've only been a fan for about three years now, and I've barely scratched the surface. I'll stick around through a few more re-releases because they're new to me.

Others, however, may not be so understanding. I think that's the root of their problem, honestly, is the fact that we know what's in your video locker, we know there's a boatload of stuff in your audio locker, and re-releases in anticipation of the new album are all you can muster?

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."