Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > BBC sessions release ???

forum rss feed
Author

Freddie May user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 08, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apparently the BBC has made a deal with EMI to release some of their stuff. Check the news here:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2284928,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=39

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 08, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well i'm assuming that you put this in "queen serious discussion" because oyu feel the queen bbc sessions will be up for release....unfortunately, this is not the case. the mindless oafs at Auntie Beeb destroyed an awful lot of old radio session and tv tapes to "make some archival space available" (ironic?) and so many 1960s/70s session tapes are gone for good...the only queen stuff to be officially heard is that that was already released....unless someone knows better?

go deo na h√Čireann
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 08, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

True that about the numpty's at the beeb. Unbelieveable idiocy. Such a bloody waste for many.

Anyway, the only glimmer of light would be personal recordings taken off the airwaves by fans and enthusiasts alike. Maybe this is something that will be explored?

Adam.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 08, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The original BBC tapes where bought by a well known collector who rescued them from the trash bin. He has posted about this on this board various times. I seem to remember that the Queen Archivist said that QP owns a copy, too.

I do not want any google ads here.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 12 Jun 08, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

The original BBC tapes where bought by a well known collector who rescued them from the trash bin. He has posted about this on this board various times. I seem to remember that the Queen Archivist said that QP owns a copy, too.

Ah ha! Didn't know that. Thanks YV!

Adam.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 08, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

YourValentine wrote:

Ah ha! Didn't know that. Thanks YV!

Adam.

I can second this. Greg did say years ago, they did get "donated" an off-air copy of the famous 'lost' session with White Queen, Nevermore, etc. from a collector (not necessarily bought/sold, but who knows), and I believe this was mentioned during one of his demo playback shows at the UK conventions (possibly around 2001?)

pootle50 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 08, 06:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg stated at this years conventions that all of these will be released at some point.

Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 08, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pootle50 wrote:

Greg stated at this years conventions that all of these will be released at some point.

And you believe him?

Olavi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 08, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg has also said many other things.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 08, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pootle50 wrote:

And the BBC tracks were also advertised as a 'forthcoming' release on the Let Me Live singles releases too!!! Empty promises again (and yes, I do believe that actually going as far as to say on a single sleeve that the BBC sessions is shortly being released IS a promise!)

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 08, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Richard Orchard wrote:

the good thing is that EMI are strapped for cash - or at least are under pressure by their owners to deliver more. So, hopefully for us this will translate to more releases. The caveat being that the releases are good stuff, not hits compilations or whatever.

EMIs situation will have no bearing on Queen releases as they don't control the recordings - Queen Productions do. The lack of quality releases is purely down to QPL not EMI, who would probably release just about anything QPL delivered to them.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 17 Jun 08, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

pootle50 wrote:

And the BBC tracks were also advertised as a 'forthcoming' release on the Let Me Live singles releases too!!! Empty promises again (and yes, I do believe that actually going as far as to say on a single sleeve that the BBC sessions is shortly being released IS a promise!)

They DID release at the Beeb. I own a copy. I also have that Let Me Live single with the red cover.

Adam.

Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 08, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This one?

http://www.amazon.de/Let-Me-Live-Queen/dp/B000007355/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1213718764&sr=8-7

... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 17 Jun 08, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, that's the one! It even has a bit of the cover that is on the BBC release.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 08, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

cmsdrums wrote:

pootle50 wrote:

They DID release at the Beeb. I own a copy. I also have that Let Me Live single with the red cover.

Adam.

There was going to be another BBC release. It was never released though as Jim Beach did not want to "flood the market".

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 08, 17:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

cmsdrums wrote:

pootle50 wrote:

Adam.

There was to be a further, supplementary volume, to include additional material. The album you have contains two BBC Sessions. A total of six were recorded.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 08, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Though there won't be any Queen stuff, I'm excited about some Beach Boys stuff being released!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 18 Jun 08, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, yeah, I know there were 6 sessions of recordings. That's why this new set is being compiled. The complete BBC sessions for Queen. I look forward to it.

Adam.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 08, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

Adam Baboolal wrote:

cmsdrums wrote:

pootle50 wrote:

Adam.

There was to be a further, supplementary volume, to include additional material. The album you have contains two BBC Sessions. A total of six were recorded.

Exactly. The 'Band of Joy' Beeb release came out in about 1989, but the Let Mr Live single a few years later promised an imminent new release (presumably carrying all BBC sessions)

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 08, 06:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But, if they are going to do it PROPERLY, they should include the Golders Green show (BBC Radio In Concert), Hammersmith '75 (BBC OGWT), Hammersmith '79 (BBC OGWT) and anything else related to "Queen At The Beeb". Interview material etc etc.

Benn