Forums > Personal > Help... what kind of spider is this?

forum rss feed
Author

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Should we be afraid?

My daughter is FINALLY cleaning up her room, so naturally, we've found a couple multi-legged devils in there. Problem is, one of them looks more dangerous (read that, 'scary') than the normal house spider.

Does anyone know what kind of spider this is and if we should be concerned? I tried to research this online but all the poisonous spiders featured there scared the sh*t outta me.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9085/p1010005vf3.jpg

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/9568/p1010018eq5.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2019/p1010016hi0.jpg

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/2235/p1010012bx6.jpg

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1440/p1010010wc2.jpg

That's the same spider in all the pictures. The clearer shots are the actual color of this thing. The pics where it looks brown are taken through a photographer's photo loop so the color is a little off. Just wanted to get a close up of those antenna or whatever and the markings on it. Creepy, yes?



"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

I hate them!!!!!!!!

All insects!!!!

I just got back from the store and saw in front of my door huge cockroach :S
!!!

I ran and called my brother to come down and open the door :/



I'm sick of all my kicks.
Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What kind of spider is it?

It's what you call a captive spider.
Being held by some hysterical human who for some reason fears it even though it never means any harm towards them.

How about opening your front door, finding a plant and gently letting the spider down onto it so that it can do it's job of doing it's part of keeping the eco-system in balance.

Thank you.

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's probably one of those dangerous and poisonous spiders from China that was hiding in a recent purchase, possibly a small appliance.

Or maybe it came in on the banana boat.

If you release it into the wild, it could then take over and dominate all other "normal" spiders.

(just kidding - but it does look scary)

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute wrote:

What kind of spider is it?

It's what you call a captive spider.
Being held by some hysterical human who for some reason fears it even though it never means any harm towards them.

How about opening your front door, finding a plant and gently letting the spider down onto it so that it can do it's job of doing it's part of keeping the eco-system in balance.

Thank you.


See, now, I figure it this way - it scared the crap out of me, so I can scare the crap out of it, maybe even torture it for a while just for fun then laugh as my shoe slams down on it.

Or... I could do as I did, wiseass, and capture it in a glass, take it's picture then set it free.

Thank you.



"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Donna13 wrote:


(just kidding - but it does look scary)


Thanks Donna13. I knew when I saw you'd posted that I'd have a chuckle. Much appreciated. And it did indeed look scary.



"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well there are only two species of poisonous spiders in North America.

The Black Widow of course, and the other is the Brown Recluse.
That spider is neither, so nothing to worry about.

Sergei. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Impresario, still
Sergei.
Deity: 4682 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Knute wrote:

What kind of spider is it?

It's what you call a captive spider.
Being held by some hysterical human who for some reason fears it even though it never means any harm towards them.

How about opening your front door, finding a plant and gently letting the spider down onto it so that it can do it's job of doing it's part of keeping the eco-system in balance.

Thank you.


See, now, I figure it this way - it scared the crap out of me, so I can scare the crap out of it, maybe even torture it for a while just for fun then laugh as my shoe slams down on it.

Or... I could do as I did, wiseass, and capture it in a glass, take it's picture then set it free.

Thank you.

OWNED. XD

"...I can scare the crap out of it, maybe even torture it for a while just for fun then laugh as my shoe slams down on it."

Maybe we should all do that to Knute.

[Thank you.]



Back whenever
Sweetie user not visiting Queenzone.com
shitbrick
Sweetie
Deity: 2835 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 17:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ew,
It looks weird...
Scary if I saw it other than in a picture...
but because it's a picture it's cute =p

reminds me of something from Spongebob Squarepants =p


Evil will always triumph 'cause good is dumb.
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute wrote:

What kind of spider is it?

It's what you call a captive spider.
Being held by some hysterical human who for some reason fears it even though it never means any harm towards them.

How about opening your front door, finding a plant and gently letting the spider down onto it so that it can do it's job of doing it's part of keeping the eco-system in balance.

Thank you.


Having a phobia of spiders is not something one can help, so don't try and make someone look stupid if they have a genuine fear and don't want to go near one.

Thank you.

Sergei. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Impresario, still
Sergei.
Deity: 4682 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And another thing.

Knute wrote:


(A bunch of bullshit)...Who for some reason fears it even though it never means any harm towards them...(And here's some more bullshit)


http://www.e-bug.net/pests/brownreclusebite1.jpg

Thank you.


Back whenever
Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow. Even if he's not poisonous, he's got his boxing gloves on so I'd watch out...

Creepy one indeed. I like little fat hairy spiders. These skinny evil-looking ones freak me out too*


*same with humans, minus the hair

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 20:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sergei? wrote:

And another thing.

Knute wrote:


(A bunch of bullshit)...Who for some reason fears it even though it never means any harm towards them...(And here's some more bullshit)


http://www.e-bug.net/pests/brownreclusebite1.jpg

Thank you.

ARGH. WAS THAT REALLY NESSECARY? Oh crap I forgot how to spell neseccary... nesercary... nessessary.. nessacery... Oh my god I think I've gone mad. nessesary... necessary... NECESSARY! That's it right?

Sergei. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Impresario, still
Sergei.
Deity: 4682 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 21:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freya is quietly judging you. wrote:

Sergei? wrote:

And another thing.

Knute wrote:


(A bunch of bullshit)...Who for some reason fears it even though it never means any harm towards them...(And here's some more bullshit)


http://www.e-bug.net/pests/brownreclusebite1.jpg

Thank you.

ARGH. WAS THAT REALLY NESSECARY? Oh crap I forgot how to spell neseccary... nesercary... nessessary.. nessacery... Oh my god I think I've gone mad. nessesary... necessary... NECESSARY! That's it right?

OMGZ THAT'S ANOTHER SYMPTOM OF SPIDER BYTZ


Back whenever
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 21:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh noes! I r gunna die.

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sergei? wrote:

And another thing.

Knute wrote:


(A bunch of bullshit)...Who for some reason fears it even though it never means any harm towards them...(And here's some more bullshit)


http://www.e-bug.net/pests/brownreclusebite1.jpg

Thank you.


HOLY CRAP!


"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Lady Nyx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1172 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 22:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i hate bees


"why pay the visit when the visit is free?"
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Should we be afraid?

My daughter is FINALLY cleaning up her room, so naturally, we've found a couple multi-legged devils in there. Problem is, one of them looks more dangerous (read that, 'scary') than the normal house spider.

Does anyone know what kind of spider this is and if we should be concerned? I tried to research this online but all the poisonous spiders featured there scared the sh*t outta me.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9085/p1010005vf3.jpg

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/9568/p1010018eq5.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2019/p1010016hi0.jpg

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/2235/p1010012bx6.jpg

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1440/p1010010wc2.jpg

That's the same spider in all the pictures. The clearer shots are the actual color of this thing. The pics where it looks brown are taken through a photographer's photo loop so the color is a little off. Just wanted to get a close up of those antenna or whatever and the markings on it. Creepy, yes?


I found this site. Unfortunately, they have only illustrations, and not photos:

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html#huntsman

Could it be a grass spider or a hobo spider ??? (I don't know!) Be careful, in any case. Read what they have to say about the toxicity of the bites.





"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 22:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whoops, sorry. Double post.


"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jun 08, 23:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The title said spiders... the original post described spiders... magical even said pictures were taken of the spiders, so I knew what the pictures were of.

And yet I STILL CLICKED ON EACH OF THOSE FUCKING LINKS OH MY GOD I HATE SPIDERS HAGLAHLTHALTHATLA GA AG AGHAH