Forums > Personal > Amy Winehouse has emphysema

forum rss feed
Author

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 08, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't say I am surprised.

http://nme.com/news/amy-winehouse/37538

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 08, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you had posted she was dead, I wouldn't be surprised.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 08, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that's the least of her problems.

"With smoking the crack cocaine and the cigarettes her lungs are all gunked up,"

Love, Dad.

Lady Nyx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1172 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 08, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

If you had posted she was dead, I wouldn't be surprised.



sad but true.




"why pay the visit when the visit is free?"
AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 08, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She is a tremendous vocal talent. It's sad to see her going the way of other immensely talented but drug-addicted musical artists.

You'd think this would be a wake up call, but apparently not. She appears to be one of the people for whom "Rock Bottom" is death.

The thing that disturbs me is that in the article I read about it the father kept saying, "Thank God she's performing, because she moderates her drug use when she's performing." That's the best he wants for his daughter? To MODERATE her drug use? Yikes. Now I guess we can see why she has so little motivation to quit.


Formerly MHG
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 08, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

If you had posted she was dead, I wouldn't be surprised.


Give her time.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 08, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MasterHistoryGirl wrote:

She is a tremendous vocal talent. It's sad to see her going the way of other immensely talented but drug-addicted musical artists.


"A tremendous vocal talent"? Are you talking about the same Amy Winehouse I know?

You'd think this would be a wake up call, but apparently not. She appears to be one of the people for whom "Rock Bottom" is death.


If you walk out of rehab, it becomes your own problem, and she chose not to care. So be it.

The thing that disturbs me is that in the article I read about it the father kept saying, "Thank God she's performing, because she moderates her drug use when she's performing." That's the best he wants for his daughter? To MODERATE her drug use? Yikes. Now I guess we can see why she has so little motivation to quit.


As a historian, you ought to be deeply ashamed of yourself. If you'd bothered to check, you'd see that he's been in the media quite a number of times the last year or so, asking for help, asking people to stop encouraging Amy, asking his daughter herself to please get professional help; I'm not surprised he's all but given up. So your "motivation" speech makes about as much sense as Amy's drug-habit.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 08, 13:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not surprising. I still find it very sad though. It's her own fault, but it's such a shame. I think she's great, I love her voice and her writing, it's sad it's all going to come to an end very soon.

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 08, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

MasterHistoryGirl wrote:

She is a tremendous vocal talent. It's sad to see her going the way of other immensely talented but drug-addicted musical artists.


"A tremendous vocal talent"? Are you talking about the same Amy Winehouse I know?

You'd think this would be a wake up call, but apparently not. She appears to be one of the people for whom "Rock Bottom" is death.


If you walk out of rehab, it becomes your own problem, and she chose not to care. So be it.

The thing that disturbs me is that in the article I read about it the father kept saying, "Thank God she's performing, because she moderates her drug use when she's performing." That's the best he wants for his daughter? To MODERATE her drug use? Yikes. Now I guess we can see why she has so little motivation to quit.


As a historian, you ought to be deeply ashamed of yourself. If you'd bothered to check, you'd see that he's been in the media quite a number of times the last year or so, asking for help, asking people to stop encouraging Amy, asking his daughter herself to please get professional help; I'm not surprised he's all but given up. So your "motivation" speech makes about as much sense as Amy's drug-habit.


Ah...nice to see you back Caspar.
1) Tremendous Vocal Talent: First off, you should be able to identify this as a statement of taste. Ergo, it is a statement of opinion. Opinion is VERY difficult to quantify by facts. Taste is unique to every individual person, therefore what is "good" for one person is "garbage" to another. I happen to admire the amount of raw emotion she can put into her voice, the way she captures the atmosphere around the lyrics. Not everyone can do that, and everything they sing winds up sounding the same. So I happen to think she's got talent. That's my opinion, and I'm not forcing it on anyone else.
2) People who walk out of rehab admit they don't stay because they don't feel they need to. They have to hit rock bottom before they admit they need help. I merely stated she apparently hasn't hit rock bottom yet, or she'd have stayed in rehab and cleaned up her act.
3) What her father does in the media is hardly my business. For the most part, I'm too occupied with higher matters than what Amy's father is saying in the media. And quite frankly, I'm deeply suspicious of anything people say to the media to begin with; it's called spin. What I mentioned is the fact that he's given up on her, and that's sad.
As far as the motivation goes, that's all up to her. But, as I pointed out, she clearly hasn't hit rock bottom. So change is unlikely.


Formerly MHG
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 08, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FontMaster ThomasQuinn wrote:

"A tremendous vocal talent"? Are you talking about the same Amy Winehouse I know?


I would welcome YOUR female top 5 vocalists ever and see who you call talented.

Charlie Brown user not visiting Queenzone.com
Charlie Brown
Bohemian: 462 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 08, 00:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

News of Amy Winehouse leaving this world due to a drug overdose would be sad but unsurprising. But i honestly didn't think anyone could smoke enough of anything to have emphysema by the age of 24, damn.

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 08, 04:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

right,ive read the article and certain things popped into my head:

1] this first appeared in the Daily Mirror.not exactly the most reliable and informative rag on the planet,the NME is not that far behind for hyper-bole either.

2] the source was her father who will say anything at the mo to keep her away from Mr Doherty and into some form of rehab and keep her in the media/public eye

3] no medical person has backed up his [her fathers] claims [that ive seen] of it being emphysema.

4] no coincidence that all this happens when she has 2 massive gigs this coming weekend.no such thing as bad publicity is there?

if she is as bad as her father makes out she is then no way will her doctors allow her to perfom at the 46664 gig or at Glasto this weekend.


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 08, 04:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In a perfect world she'd see what she's doing to herself, clean up her act, put on so much weight that some people start to call her "Amy Warehouse".

Meh. Probably won't happen.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 08, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

FontMaster ThomasQuinn wrote:

"A tremendous vocal talent"? Are you talking about the same Amy Winehouse I know?


I would welcome YOUR female top 5 vocalists ever and see who you call talented.


In no particular order:
-Dinah Washington
-Sumi Jo
-Grace Slick
-Joni Mitchell
-Patti Smith


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 08, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

In a perfect world she'd see what she's doing to herself, clean up her act, put on so much weight that some people start to call her "Amy Warehouse".

Meh. Probably won't happen.


she just needs someone from Cornwall with a box of pasties under his arm...
if only she can hold on until mid-august


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 08, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

Micrówave wrote:

FontMaster ThomasQuinn wrote:

"A tremendous vocal talent"? Are you talking about the same Amy Winehouse I know?


I would welcome YOUR female top 5 vocalists ever and see who you call talented.


In no particular order:
-Dinah Washington
-Sumi Jo
-Grace Slick
-Joni Mitchell
-Patti Smith


Something in me screams "Karen Carpenter", more for the control in her voice than anything.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 08, 06:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

ThomasQuinn wrote:

Micrówave wrote:

FontMaster ThomasQuinn wrote:

"A tremendous vocal talent"? Are you talking about the same Amy Winehouse I know?


I would welcome YOUR female top 5 vocalists ever and see who you call talented.


In no particular order:
-Dinah Washington
-Sumi Jo
-Grace Slick
-Joni Mitchell
-Patti Smith


Something in me screams "Karen Carpenter", more for the control in her voice than anything.


and Dusty Springfield


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

***Marial-B*** user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***
Deity: 2285 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 08, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

ThomasQuinn wrote:

Micrówave wrote:

FontMaster ThomasQuinn wrote:

"A tremendous vocal talent"? Are you talking about the same Amy Winehouse I know?


I would welcome YOUR female top 5 vocalists ever and see who you call talented.


In no particular order:
-Dinah Washington
-Sumi Jo
-Grace Slick
-Joni Mitchell
-Patti Smith


Something in me screams "Karen Carpenter", more for the control in her voice than anything.


I agree


Barcelona, October 22nd 2008
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 08, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ann Wilson would be on my list.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 08, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

MasterHistoryGirl wrote:

She is a tremendous vocal talent. It's sad to see her going the way of other immensely talented but drug-addicted musical artists.


"A tremendous vocal talent"? Are you talking about the same Amy Winehouse I know?

You'd think this would be a wake up call, but apparently not. She appears to be one of the people for whom "Rock Bottom" is death.


If you walk out of rehab, it becomes your own problem, and she chose not to care. So be it.

The thing that disturbs me is that in the article I read about it the father kept saying, "Thank God she's performing, because she moderates her drug use when she's performing." That's the best he wants for his daughter? To MODERATE her drug use? Yikes. Now I guess we can see why she has so little motivation to quit.


As a historian, you ought to be deeply ashamed of yourself. If you'd bothered to check, you'd see that he's been in the media quite a number of times the last year or so, asking for help, asking people to stop encouraging Amy, asking his daughter herself to please get professional help; I'm not surprised he's all but given up. So your "motivation" speech makes about as much sense as Amy's drug-habit.


Explain to me how anything Maggie said has to be with "being a historian"?

Maggie just gave her point of view about the mental and physical state of Amy Winehouse, nothing else. She gave her opinions based on what she's known so far from press releases she's read, which is just about as much as everybody else knows.
If you are willing to point out a different side of the story, all you have to do is mention what other sources of information have told you. Is it really necessary to bring someone to the lowest level?

Caspar, as usual you have failed miserably at proving your point; not only because you bring the insults, but you have to degrade anyone who thinks different, brings different facts or points of view, or disagrees when it comes to drawing conclusions.

...that saddest part, is that here we are talking about a junkie star with a foot on the grave, when there's far more deep and complicated issues to discuss.
Of course by our own experience in this message board, we know that all you do is shove your ideas down our throats, and turn blind and deaf when it comes to listen to what anyone else has to say.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]