Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Nelson Mandela 90th concert

forum rss feed
Author

pootle50 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 08, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well. Paul Rodgers wants F**king shooting. That was shit.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 08, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, six posts. You must be God.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 08, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Slide down a slide of razor blades into a pool of alcohol you piece of shit troll.

Treasure Movement user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 08, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pootle50 wrote:

Well. Paul Rodgers wants F**king shooting. That was shit.

You need shooting you f*cking F*ck face - get some respect! Go have a look in the mirror and have a good w*nk at your own ego.

TheAmazingEvent user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 08, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

newbie or not he;s entitled to his opinion even if it is wrong......chill guys.

Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 04:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Richard Orchard wrote:

But - was the artists present the best representation of who would want to honor Nelson Mandela?

Given the universal appeal of Mandela, i am surprised more bit A list people weren't there.

I don't mean to sound overtly negative or cynical, but is that really a surprise?

Brian May organises an internationally televised charity concert just a few months before his own band launches a European tour (with new material which is weak, to say the least based on the songs so far), and you expect him to gather around the biggest stars in the world? :D

This was an advertisement campaign for QPR, designed to highlight their own mediocre performance when compared to the crap around them... All the reports are going to say they stole the show, and all the highlight programmes are going to show their performance, and that wouldn't have been possible if there had really been an "stellar lineup" to compete with.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was a very good concert. Not great, "only" very good. Paul definitely needs to learn the lyrics of "One Vision" if they want to play in on the tour

pootle50 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

Wow, six posts. You must be God.

Depends how you look at it.
Either I only speak when something is worth saying or i change my name occasionally... :0)

Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero wrote:

Richard Orchard wrote:

But - was the artists present the best representation of who would want to honor Nelson Mandela?

Given the universal appeal of Mandela, i am surprised more bit A list people weren't there.

I don't mean to sound overtly negative or cynical

You failed! That is the one of the most cynical posts Ive ever read on this board! You honestly think Brian organised this as an attempt to raise publicity for the new album - you must think he's one sick person! Why are you even here if you have such a low opinion of him!?

Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

It was a very good concert. Not great, "only" very good. Paul definitely needs to learn the lyrics of "One Vision" if they want to play in on the tour

With respect, I think Paul knew the song better than Brian last night, who was the reason it was an average version of the song! Paul only forgot one line, while Brian mucked up the riff on the intro at least twice, and then threw everyone (including Spike who was trying to sing the "Cold wind blows..." line) out by changing chords too early in mid section.

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cwazy little thing wrote:

You failed! That is the one of the most cynical posts Ive ever read on this board! You honestly think Brian organised this as an attempt to raise publicity for the new album - you must think he's one sick person! Why are you even here if you have such a low opinion of him!?

So what's your explanation?
Either Brian was really terrible at his job, or he deliberate made a poor job out of it.

It's interesting to see that even the "46664 - Leave your birthday wishes to Nelson Mandela" web page has an advertisement of a free QPR download (the "generously donated" Say It's Not True video) with every greeting you leave... I can almost touch Brian's sincereness and genuine belief in the cause!

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero wrote:

So what's your explanation?
Either Brian was really terrible at his job, or he deliberate made a poor job out of it.

It's interesting to see that even the "46664 - Leave your birthday wishes to Nelson Mandela" web page has an advertisement of a free QPR download (the "generously donated" Say It's Not True video) with every greeting you leave... I can almost touch Brian's sincereness and genuine belief in the cause!

Most of the artists there were those who have been involved in the 46664 cause all along, and its likely the only reason the likes of Peter Gabriel/Bono didnt perform was an availability issue.
And the other artists were those people who are new on the scene and "hot" hence Leona Lewis and Amy Winehouse. Those two almost certainly have a higher public profile than Queen at the moment, and I think you might notice that a lot of the media coverage doesnt even mention Queen - I watched an ITN news report this morning which was all about Winehouse, Leona and Will Smith doing a concert for Mandela - there was only one shot of the encore where you could see Brian and Paul. So I dont see your point.

Its not Brians fault Queen can still blow most of these people off stage easily. But then again, they always could - look at Live Aid.

Name an "A list" band or artist who is involved with 46664 who could outperform QPR on the kind of form they were in last night?

Also - if it was all about the new album then isnt it great that they played so much new material last night...... oh wait. :)

Say its not true was written FOR 46664 and Nelson Mandela, long before a new album was concieved.

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So many people look at Brian and Roger as if they are blood sucking demons. While the two may not be perfect, I doubt they are primarily trying to suck the money and pride out of their fans. It is not a shun for these gentlemen to want to make music together, because they have been doing it almost their entire career -- even before they met Freddie and John. And, as so many have protested, the Queen name should have died the moment Freddie died. That makes very little sense to me. Brian and Roger were just as much Queen as the others were. John had the choice of staying with the band, but he decided against it for personal reasons. He accepts what Brian and Roger are doing. As for Freddie, he must have known his band mates wouldn't lay under a rock after his death. I couldn't see him ever giving a damn about what goes on with the entitlement of the band afterwards -- it is only common sense for them to carry the torch that is Queen. No sense in pouring water over it!

As for the concert, they quite simply rocked. They have chemistry together, it's undeniable at this point.

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not a great performace - mediocre. They really don't gel together as a unit.
Nice to see Roger has been practising hard inbetween tours aswell..... NOT.
LOL @ Steven.

steven 35638 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Band ten hut!
steven 35638
Deity: 2132 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL @ Negative Creep.

Your name fits your personality.

"Fuck today, it's tomorrow." - Freddie Mercury
Queengirl47 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 87 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They ROCKED!!! I loved it!!

keep showin em hows it's done!!!

I can't WAIT for the album and tour!!!!

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It always seems to come up these days, doesn't it? The hate of whatever Brian and Roger do. Nothing seems good enough. Well, I pity those who must find fault in Bri n Rog cause I'm happy to see/hear them and enjoy what they do. Not everything, of course.

Back on subject, I too, hate what ITV were doing. What a waste of time. They started at 9pm and started showing highlights from earlier in the day. Fine, I thought. But after an hour, I realised, we'd never see any live stuff happening in the background. What a flippin mistake. Why couldn't they be smart and show some highlights and then switch live to the stage for the big stuff?? BBC3's coverage of Glastonbury does this and it works nicely. Oh well, I look forward to a programme showing the concert or a download.
Heh...and ITV wonder why they're not known for quality output!

Adam.

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero wrote:

Richard Orchard wrote:

I don't mean to sound overtly negative or cynical, but is that really a surprise?

Brian May organises an internationally televised charity concert just a few months before his own band launches a European tour (with new material which is weak, to say the least based on the songs so far), and you expect him to gather around the biggest stars in the world? :D

This was an advertisement campaign for QPR, designed to highlight their own mediocre performance when compared to the crap around them... All the reports are going to say they stole the show, and all the highlight programmes are going to show their performance, and that wouldn't have been possible if there had really been an "stellar lineup" to compete with.

LMAO!

As predictable as you are, I wasn't really expecting anything this transparent.

Awww poor wittle jaded Tero

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most of the artists there were those who have been involved in the 46664 cause all along

Why should you limit to those artists who have been involved from the start? None of the current artists have been involved in the cause since Nelson Mandela's imprisonment, so obviously there is room for new acts?

Also - if it was all about the new album then isnt it great that they played so much new material last night...... oh wait. :)

If they had played any of the material, the current ticket holders would have burned their tickets in anger. ;)
They played the old hits because they are selling the concert as if they are still the Queen of 1986. Simple as that.

Say its not true was written FOR 46664 and Nelson Mandela, long before a new album was concieved.

That's hardly the point, is it?
How come none of the other 46664 songs are available as free downloads for sending birthday greetings? Honestly, I think it's Brian's reward for arranging the event... That and the other free advertising, of course.

Posted: 28 Jun 08, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knute wrote:

Tero wrote:

Richard Orchard wrote:

LMAO!

As predictable as you are, I wasn't really expecting anything this transparent.

Awww poor wittle jaded Tero

Don't worry, it's no more predictable than you writing glowing reviews of any mediocre QPR performance. ;)