Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen & Paul Rogers at the Mandela Birthday Concert

forum rss feed
Author

kimmyskater user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jun 08, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am VERY proud to be a Queen Fan. I have 3 cabinets FULL of everything & anything I can get my hands on that has to do with Queen. I truly believe they were & always will be the very best band in the World!
I was VERY disappointed & very shocked when I heard Queen & Paul Rogers at the Mandela Birthday Concert. It is true that I believe there will NEVER be another Freddie. I don't think this World will ever have a more talented Artist as we had with Freddie Mercury & I will always be a loyal Freddie Fan. It is great that the World still loves Queen!
BUT - I think Paul Rogers did a terrible job singing with Queen at the Mandela Birthday. I don't think they sounded good at all! To be honest, we thought it looked (& sounded) very bad for Queen to do the job they did at this Concert.
I wanted to know, am I (& My Husband) the only ones that thought it sounded VERY BAD? Please, we would like to know what others thought about them at this Mandela Birthday. I don't want to sound like a snob, because I am a loyal Queen Fan but I really was disappointed BIG TIME!

Thomas Tønnesen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


I disagree with you.

Yes Freddie was unique in everyway, but Paul Rodgers is unique in another way. Freddie was the king in Queen - now Paul is the new king. Certainly after this performance.

The Return of the Champions was good, Saitama better - now after a series of album recordings, and preparations for the new tour the Queen machine seems fantastic. Paul Rodgers has come into the Queen picture seamlessly.

If you listen to Paul's performance from the night, I think should search endlessly to find anyone who could top that performance (even Freddie in my own opinion - singing wise)

This comes from a Queen fan who rates Freddie as a genius, and a person that has dedicated a whole year to a master thesis mainly about Freddie's music video performances, if that counts for anything - probably not ;)





onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thomas Tønnesen wrote:


I disagree with you.

If you listen to Paul's performance from the night, I think should search endlessly to find anyone who could top that performance (even Freddie in my own opinion - singing wise)


I agree. Paul sound better live than Freddie did in '84-'86.

The guy has an amazing voice.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

Thomas Tønnesen wrote:


I disagree with you.

If you listen to Paul's performance from the night, I think should search endlessly to find anyone who could top that performance (even Freddie in my own opinion - singing wise)


I agree. Paul sounds better live than Freddie did in '84-'86.

The guy has an amazing voice.


ermin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 07:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I watched the performance twice. Here are my remarks:

1. One Vision sounded very patchy, not to mention Paul's mess-up with the lyrics. There is absolutely no excuse for that. They are rock royalty, and they shouldn't sound worse than a tribute band.

2. While Paul's singing is technically good, and his voice is clear, the songs end up sounding subdued. His style of singing takes the excitement and dynamics out of songs. It's pleasant to listen, but it doesn't excite or move. I'd agree that Freddie's voice suffered between 1984 and 1986, but his performance was always energized.

3. I don't like the presence of backup singers. It takes away from the authenticity.

Overall, while I wish Q+PR all the best, I'm not excited about it.

brian-harold-may 26643 user not visiting Queenzone.com
brian-harold-may 26643
Bohemian: 349 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ermin wrote:

I watched the performance twice. Here are my remarks:

1. One Vision sounded very patchy, not to mention Paul's mess-up with the lyrics. There is absolutely no excuse for that. They are rock royalty, and they shouldn't sound worse than a tribute band.

2. While Paul's singing is technically good, and his voice is clear, the songs end up sounding subdued. His style of singing takes the excitement and dynamics out of songs. It's pleasant to listen, but it doesn't excite or move. I'd agree that Freddie's voice suffered between 1984 and 1986, but his performance was always energized.

3. I don't like the presence of backup singers. It takes away from the authenticity.

Overall, while I wish Q+PR all the best, I'm not excited about it.



1.yeah one vision wasn't great.....partly roger taylors fault. A drummer should be able to keep time better than that. the "i had a dream" section sounds like Brian's mistake...but he is actaully in time....taylor missed a beat. Pauls vocal mistake...there is no excuse for that? i have a link somewhere to a website showing many mistaked from our very own Fred. in fact i did a gig the other night and forgot the words to jonny b goode....not exactly a hard song to remember but it happens...i was personally extremely impressed with pauls recovery....very proffesional. he didnt forget the words....just the order.

2. whilst i dissagree this is purely opinion based on personal taste and i repsect yours so wont bang on trying to change it...would be pompous and arrogant on my side ha ha.

3. queen have always had backing singers....Roger, Brian and Spike.


and yes...i know my spelling is terrible ha ha


hope all is well with you folks!

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

set list?... anyone?


:)
brian-harold-may 26643 user not visiting Queenzone.com
brian-harold-may 26643
Bohemian: 349 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adolfo wrote:

set list?... anyone?


one vision, tie your mother down, show must go on, we will rock you, we are the champions, all right now.

Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ducksoup wrote:

Ducksoup wrote:

Thomas Tønnesen wrote:


I disagree with you.

If you listen to Paul's performance from the night, I think should search endlessly to find anyone who could top that performance (even Freddie in my own opinion - singing wise)


I agree. Paul sounds better live than Freddie did in '84-'86.

The guy has an amazing voice.


Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I'm sick of all my kicks.
brian-harold-may 26643 user not visiting Queenzone.com
brian-harold-may 26643
Bohemian: 349 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ms. Rebel wrote:

Ducksoup wrote:

Ducksoup wrote:

Thomas Tønnesen wrote:


I disagree with you.

If you listen to Paul's performance from the night, I think should search endlessly to find anyone who could top that performance (even Freddie in my own opinion - singing wise)


I agree. Paul sounds better live than Freddie did in '84-'86.

The guy has an amazing voice.


Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



nice mature response to somebodys opinion....this is queenzone all over these days.

Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^Oh yes, you're right xD


I'm sick of all my kicks.
kingogre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ermin wrote:



2. While Paul's singing is technically good, and his voice is clear, the songs end up sounding subdued. His style of singing takes the excitement and dynamics out of songs. It's pleasant to listen, but it doesn't excite or move.



I was moved by his vocals. From reading on this board Im sure Im not the only one.

I actually thought the backing singers added to the sound. Dont think theyll be present on the tour as they sang backing vocals during the entire night.

k01olnug user not visiting Queenzone.com


add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jun 08, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having listened back over the recording i must agree that most of the set whereas good it wasn't exactly up to its finest standard - tie your mother down and one vision i especially felt were lacking something.

But it must be said that all right now was superb and especially The show must go on i honestly think was the best they've ever played it on their tour. with the exception of a bit of tuning issues with Paul's voice at the beginning and some feedback. The backing singers and the delay on Paul's voice really added to the epic feel of the song i have goosebumps listening to it i find myself really liking it as a live version (as i say perhaps past the intro).

I really hope they bring some backing singers on their tour for songs like this and then who knows maybe if they bring a whole gospel choir they could play "Let me live" ive fallen in love with that song recently!


Is the real life?, Is this just fantasy?