Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen at Sun City

forum rss feed
Author

Soul Brother user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 411 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jul 08, 18:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some interesting responses (in the positive) to the Guardian's ongoing campaign against Queen.....

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/05/queen_mandela.html

He's my best friend he's my champion
Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 733 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 08, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Guardian might be better to say, yes this is strange, but they are doing great work now, and doesn't that count for something. They might also say that journalists' habit of ridiculing Queen might have something to do with their dislike for their music and its populism and connections with an audience that journalists would never be able to do.

Some of the comments are interesting, too. Worth reading.

Believe me, in other fora I have stressed that playing Sun City was a mistake. But part of life is admitting to mistakes and moving on. Queen--er, Brian and Roger--have admitted to the mistake as much as rock stars could do in the situation, and now that are doing what they do best: Play loud fucking rock and roll to help out a good cause. Posterity will look on all this with much more empathy and positivity than this Guardian journalist. Actually, posterity already has.

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 08, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a sickening article. Made even more sickening by saying, "they're not bad people, but..." It's as good as saying, once you've made a mistake, you're marked for life. He reminds me of those kind of people that don't learn to forgive others for their mistakes. God forbid he ever meet a reformed inmate!

Adam.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 08, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Two things

Why doesn't Peter Gabriel get rid of that pointy beard thingy?

How does playing a concert make a political statement? Other than the media grabbing on and making it one. Is it logical to assume, then, if Queen should play Serbia or Ukraine that they are turning their heads on genocide or the environment?

I think it's far more arrogant to cash a check from Barack Obama or Al Gore as seems to be the common theme these days... instead of worrying about what a certain government's stance was twenty years ago.

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 08, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny thing about the comments. There is a link that sends you to an article about George Formby, the British entertainer and guy whose uke Brian used on SHA and ANATO, and about him playing South Africa in the 30s and mixing with black people and actually kissing a black person, and the blog author calls him a hero, unlike Queen, who were money grubbers and naive aobut the government of the day. But didn't they do the same thing, play to black people and interact with black musicians? They shouldn't have played there in a PC sense, but the case is to be made that by going there and playing to a mixed audience they did more good than the gypsy midget freakazoid Steven Van Zandt did with his fantstically horrible Sun City song? What did that song change? SFA probably.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 08, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Soul Brother wrote:

Some interesting responses (in the positive) to the Guardian's ongoing campaign against Queen.....

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/05/queen_mandela.html

If Freddie was alive, he'd have the author of that article done in!

People thought Queen were racist back then. Freddie had a few black friends. Peter Straker and Trevor 'The Black Bitch'.... and I'm sure there's more.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Daniel Nester

Posted: 10 Jul 08, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow. The "I have a couple Black friends" bit.

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 08, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Brass Neck wrote:

But didn't they do the same thing, play to black people and interact with black musicians? They shouldn't have played there in a PC sense, but the case is to be made that by going there and playing to a mixed audience they did more good than the gypsy midget freakazoid Steven Van Zandt did with his fantstically horrible Sun City song? What did that song change? SFA probably.

No, they did not play to a mixed audience. They played to a rich white audience for loads of money against the UN boycott and against the rules of the British union. They very nearly escaped being thrown out of the union which would have meant they could not have played in England anymore. Sun City was a rich white enclave in a desparately poor black country and it needed a lot of bad judgement to play there.

Now you can ask if the UN boycott was a wise decision or if you generally should drag artists and athletes (there was a sports boycott, too)into politics but the fact remains that Queen closed their eyes to reality and ignored the worldwide efforts to put an end to Apartheid.

However, to dig out the Sun City concerts after 24 years and make a case that Queen cannot play for Nelson Mandela is ridiculous. It really says a lot about the author who does not seem to know that this was already the 4th 46664 concert Queen supported and who failed to notice that Nelson Mandela has no problem with Queen supporting the 46664 cause. I really would like to know what he did to put an end to Apartheid.

I do not want any google ads here.

Rik&Roll user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 197 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 08, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree!
No, Queen should not be judged by doing the Mandela-thing, when you make a dreadful mistake you'll always deserve a chance to make up for it.

Yes, they broke an international boycott to fill their pockets even more. Only blinded fans can look away from that.

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 08, 06:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wasn't aware that they didn't play to a mixed audience, YV. I read Brian's defence to the Musician's Union, and must have imagined the bits about them and a black or mixed audience, maybe they travelled to see black people or something!

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 08, 06:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, Queen always said they played to a "mixed racial audience" but that was really stretching the truth. Every artist at the time could be informed about the true nature of Sun City and the so called independent state Bophuthatswana. If you are interested you can read the article about the myth and the truth of the homeland Bophuthatswana and the entire "homeland system" in the article:
BLACK DISPOSESSION IN SOUTH AFRICA:
THE MYTH OF BANTUSTAN INPENDENCENCE

http://richardknight.homestead.com/bophuthatswana.html

In favour of Queen it should be said that they did not invent Apartheid, they only played a couple of concerts. In Europe and the USA there were a lot of people (politicians, business people) with so much more power and influence who did nothing to put an end to Apartheid. There was a lot of indifference and hidden racism. I don't see anybody blaming those people up to this day.

I do not want any google ads here.

Daniel Nester

Posted: 12 Jul 08, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said, YourValentine.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 08, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YV, well said indeed.
Can't think of something to add to what you've said.

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 13 Jul 08, 07:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who cares about one band having played in Sun City... there will be Olympic Games in Bejing within a few weeks. Now what's worse...

12yrslouetta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts

Posted: 13 Jul 08, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It always made me chuckle when Queen brought out that tired line of we arent political in anyway, and its all about entertainment. Im presuming then if they were offered enough money then they would have played to nazis. Whats the difference!? Im sure nazis love a good ole knees up.
I love Queen, but i will always be sadened that they went to South Africa when apartheid was being enforced by force. And its a shame in many ways that people still defend their behaviour. They werent the only band or artist that went to Sun City but that doesnt or shouldnt excuse their behaviour.

That was in 1984, today this unpolitical band are now putting their lot in with mandela. It is kind of ironic BUT if they can get someone around the world buy a t-shirt or see a gig so all the proceeds go to the right place, thats got to be good thing.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

12yrslouetta wrote:

It always made me chuckle when Queen brought out that tired line of we arent political in anyway, and its all about entertainment. Im presuming then if they were offered enough money then they would have played to nazis. Whats the difference!? Im sure nazis love a good ole knees up.
I love Queen, but i will always be sadened that they went to South Africa when apartheid was being enforced by force. And its a shame in many ways that people still defend their behaviour. They werent the only band or artist that went to Sun City but that doesnt or shouldnt excuse their behaviour.

That was in 1984, today this unpolitical band are now putting their lot in with mandela. It is kind of ironic BUT if they can get someone around the world buy a t-shirt or see a gig so all the proceeds go to the right place, thats got to be good thing.

After seeing this post, I'm glad they played there.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Daniel Nester wrote:

Wow. The "I have a couple Black friends" bit.

Hitler also wasn't anti-semitic. Cause one of his close workers was a jew.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

12yrslouetta wrote:

I'm sure they would have insisted on playing to EVERYONE at the concentration camps, just as long as everyone was paying for their tickets. ;)

Daniel Nester

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[Cue the contrarian Australian jackass post.]

12yrslouetta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

haha, nice reply zeb, that made me chuckle. let me guess, a white guy right?? Hey, its all good.