Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Did you ever suspect Freddie wasn't white?

forum rss feed
Author

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never did. I mean, I just listened to Queen and enjoyed their music. I never realized that he was Indian/Parsi until someone pointed it out to me. Until then, he was one of the whitest guys I knew of. A lot of things he did were stereotypically "white" things. I'm Indian and Freddie doesn't look like any Indian I've ever seen. Even the fairest Indians I've met aren't as pale as Freddie or Kashmira. That's why I didn't believe it at first. His mom looks Indian though. If anyone told me to guess though, I would probably say he was Romani(gypsy) kinda like Charlie Chaplin but he definitely doesn't look Indian....


"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, Freddie was a total jigaboo.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 05:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

I never did. I mean, I just listened to Queen and enjoyed their music. I never realized that he was Indian/Parsi until someone pointed it out to me. Until then, he was one of the whitest guys I knew of. A lot of things he did were stereotypically "white" things. I'm Indian and Freddie doesn't look like any Indian I've ever seen. Even the fairest Indians I've met aren't as pale as Freddie or Kashmira. That's why I didn't believe it at first. His mom looks Indian though. If anyone told me to guess though, I would probably say he was Romani(gypsy) kinda like Charlie Chaplin but he definitely doesn't look Indian....


I've been a Queen fan since like 1996 or before, and I didn't realize it until like late 2001. I even watched VH1 Legends back in like '99 or 2000 or whenever it came out. And I didn't even pay attention to his upbringing on there, so I didn't learn about it then. I learned it on QZ or somewhere. I always thought it strange, that he was darker when he was younger, yet again, he did wear a lot of makeup in all Queen concerts and all music videos, then there's the lights on the band, etc.

But I know a guy from Pakistan and he could tell Freddie was an Indian of some sort.


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thats because he isnt an indian, he is iranian. he even says it himself in an interview that he is persian=iranian.




Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 05:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also never knew he was indian. Cause I never saw him with curry or owning a way too expensive supermarket


"There 44p stamps are 1.35 each, darling. Thank you, come again *winks*"


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
thomasquinn 32989 user is on Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6249 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 06:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote:

I never did. I mean, I just listened to Queen and enjoyed their music. I never realized that he was Indian/Parsi until someone pointed it out to me. Until then, he was one of the whitest guys I knew of. A lot of things he did were stereotypically "white" things. I'm Indian and Freddie doesn't look like any Indian I've ever seen. Even the fairest Indians I've met aren't as pale as Freddie or Kashmira. That's why I didn't believe it at first. His mom looks Indian though. If anyone told me to guess though, I would probably say he was Romani(gypsy) kinda like Charlie Chaplin but he definitely doesn't look Indian....


What the hell does it matter?


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Ms. Rebel user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ms. Rebel
Deity: 3428 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^Exactly.

Even if Freddie was little green alien, I would still enjoy listening his music. He's simply the best. And please don't compare Freddie with other wannabes, Mika ad other shit-heads. His voice and charisma are unique.

=)


I'm sick of all my kicks.
anthony mallan user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner

Rocker: 21 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rock culturally speaking, those parts of the world where freddie hailed from or lived, are beyond the backwaters, so where the bloody hell did faroukh get his talent/genius. it never ceases to amaze me,nobody had the right to be that good, especially considering his roots. truly a legend


a.c.mallan
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He also got the idea for being Iranian from Treasure Moment.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ms. Rebel wrote:

Even if Freddie was little green alien, I would still enjoy listening his music.


LOL!

I just imagined Freddie as a little green alien... Eeeeek. :)



Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

He also got the idea for being Iranian from Treasure Moment.


He was iranian and thats a fact.


Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

MercuryArts user not visiting Queenzone.com
MercuryArts
Bohemian: 836 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

He also got the idea for being Iranian from Treasure Moment.


He was iranian and thats a fact.


I'm not disputing that you say his Iranian, but do you have this interview?


"Take care of those you call your own"
Treasure Moment user not visiting Queenzone.com
Treasure Moment
Deity: 3413 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MercuryArts wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

He also got the idea for being Iranian from Treasure Moment.


He was iranian and thats a fact.


I'm not disputing that you say his Iranian, but do you have this interview?


yes

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aeCfWst_R0&feature=related

4:10 in the interview he says that he is persian=iranian "íll always walk around like a persian pop n jay"


Freddie Mercury is God

TREASURE MOMENT: Continuing QUEENs footsteps

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

thomasquinn 32989 user is on Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6249 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

MercuryArts wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

He also got the idea for being Iranian from Treasure Moment.


He was iranian and thats a fact.


I'm not disputing that you say his Iranian, but do you have this interview?


yes

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aeCfWst_R0&feature=related

4:10 in the interview he says that he is persian=iranian "íll always walk around like a persian pop n jay"


Look up one word: "Parsi"


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Come on, we live in 2008. We've known for a long time that there is no such thing as 'races' in the human species. Freddie was a Homo Sapiens Sapiens

And no, he never said it an interview, but there are no alternatives


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
thomasquinn 32989 user is on Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6249 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote:

Come on, we live in 2008. We've known for a long time that there is no such thing as 'races' in the human species. Freddie was a Homo Sapiens Sapiens


That all depends on what you mean by "race". Different ethnic groups share common genetic traits not present in other ethnic groups, because different groups have different ancestors, meaning genetic mutations will dominate one group but not another, which, over the course of thousands of years, leads to genetically distinguished groups, sometimes identifiable by traits like skin- or hair-color, and sometimes only different at a DNA-level.

The whole problem is dumb people attributing characteristics to the races (see: the entire 19th century; Third Reich; Imperialism; Social Darwinism; etc. etc.), which far supersede genetic differences like the amount of pigment in one's skin.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know a few Parsi people who also claim to be Persian like Freddie used to(but they don't represent the general feeling of all Parsis). And when Parsis say they're Persian, they almost always mean to say they're of Persian descent. I've never met any Parsi who has associated themselves with Iran. I had a Parsi girlfriend whose grandparents could speak in Avestan, the liturgical language of Zoroastrianism but they didn't like being called "Iranians". They said "Real Persians are Zoroastrians while Iranians are Muslims". I don't agree with their definition but many Parsis think that way. I don't really care whether anyone considers him Indian, African/Zanzibari or Persian. But saying that he's Iranian is kind of a stretch...well ThomasQuinn is right, it doesn't matter what ethnic group he belonged to. He made great music and had the best voice of all time, the only thing even Queen-haters can't argue because it's a fact that should be in the science books. I bet he's reading this from hell/heaven/whatever and thinking we're very silly.

I made this thread because I wanted to know if anyone else considered him an average white guy until they found out he wasn't. A dude I know on MSN says that he thinks it's because of the jawline/overbite but it's by no means a common feature among Indians... Good to know I'm not the only one who never suspected. And Anthony Mallan is right...there is like...virtually NO rock scene here in India. It's limited to cult followings of bands like Iron Maiden, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd(they're the most popular here), Deep Purple, Dire Straits and a few other bands. Local bands are few in number and not mainstream. Most people listen to dumb soundtrack/film music.


"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 673 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Treasure Moment wrote:

Thats because he isnt an indian, he is iranian. he even says it himself in an interview that he is persian=iranian.



Freddie wasn't Iranian or anything like it - he was Indian!
The Parsees left Iran centuries before Freddie was born - it's a bit like saying the Queen is German...

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 673 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ANAGRAMER wrote:

Treasure Moment wrote:

Thats because he isnt an indian, he is iranian. he even says it himself in an interview that he is persian=iranian.



Freddie wasn't Iranian or anything like it - he was Indian!
The Parsees left Iran centuries before Freddie was born - it's a bit like saying the Queen is German...


Although the Parsis originally emigrated from Persia, most Indian Parsis have lost social or familial ties to Persians. Many do not share language or recent history with them. Over the centuries since the first Zoroastrians arrived in India, the Parsis have integrated themselves into Indian society while simultaneously maintaining their own distinct customs and traditions (and thus ethnic identity). This in turn has given the Parsi community a rather peculiar standing - they are Indians in terms of national affiliation, language and history, but not typically Indian (constituting only 0.006% of the total population) in terms of consanguinity or cultural, behavioural and religious practices



Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, but I suspected he wasn't black.