Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen and progressive rock

forum rss feed
Author

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been listening to a bit of Jeff Wayne, ELP, Yes and King Crimson recently and found similarities between them and Queen's earlier work.

I know Brian played a gig with Rick Wakeman, but in general, I found very little about the connection between Queen and progressive bands.

Does anybody know more about the connection between Queen and prog rock?

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 04:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May and David Gilmour (Pink Floyd):

-Smoke On The Water (Rock Aid Armenia - also featuring Roger on drums and Paul Rodgers, the latter on the '90 version - FIRST Q+PR RECORDING yo!)
-The Stonk (Hale and Pace, also with Roger on drums)
-Stay With Me (live, encore, with Paul Rodgers, Ronnie Wood and other artists, Stratocaster Anniversary show, available on DVD as The Strat Pack)

kingogre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I friend of mine who is a huge prog rock fan (Rush, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd etc.) went crazy when I played him Queen II. According to him it would definitely qualify as prog.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 06:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen never experimented much with strange meters, but if you look at the textured sounds, the theme's and styles you can defenitely say albums like Queen and Queen II are Progressive Rock.

You can easily put them in the same list that has Trespass (Genesis) and In the Court of the Crimson King (King Crimson)

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 08, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think that queen 1+2 are a bit to late for prog rock which came up in 69/70. also the main and new ingredience of prog rock, the sythesizer, was not played on the first albums. maybe "and nobody played sythesizer" was also pointed out because queen wanted to seperate from the prog scene. listening to it nowadays queen 1+2 might sound a bit prog but for me it is more glam/hard rock or even not fitting in any genre at all.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 08, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never seen the link with Glam rock to be honest.

If you compare Queen with stuff like Sweet or T-Rex it's not even remotely the same

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 08, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queen were a little bit of everything, I think thats one reason why we love them so much

:)
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 08, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Invisible Man is as close to progressive rock that Queen ever got to. You can all deny it, as I know most will, just because Roger wrote it.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
nuncjusz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 08, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a website called Progarchives (probably the best prog rock resource on the planet), where almost all bands, that had anything to do with prog are listed and Queen is among them. And "Queen II" and "A Night At The Opera" and even "Innuendo" are very highly rated there (the first two were in the Top 100 for some time). I even remember that when I sorted the best albums by year it turned out, that "Innuendo" was THE BEST PROGRESSIVE ROCK ALBUM OF 1991, based on the average rating!
Of course they din't have many odd time signatures in their songs, but that's not all that counts in prog rock. Technically, all Pink Floyd members were quite average, and Nick Mason was trully a terrible drummer, but still they are one of the genuine prog rock bands of all time!

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 08, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

nuncjusz wrote:

...it turned out, that "Innuendo" was THE BEST PROGRESSIVE ROCK ALBUM OF 1991, based on the average rating!

Ah...it must have been "Delilah" that did it.

(just kidding).

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 08, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

beautifulsoup wrote:

nuncjusz wrote:

...it turned out, that "Innuendo" was THE BEST PROGRESSIVE ROCK ALBUM OF 1991, based on the average rating!

Ah...it must have been "Delilah" that did it.

(just kidding).

LOL!

Imagine that....

:)

Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 08, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inu-liger wrote:

Brian May and David Gilmour (Pink Floyd):

-Smoke On The Water (Rock Aid Armenia - also featuring Roger on drums and Paul Rodgers, the latter on the '90 version - FIRST Q+PR RECORDING yo!)
-The Stonk (Hale and Pace, also with Roger on drums)
-Stay With Me (live, encore, with Paul Rodgers, Ronnie Wood and other artists, Stratocaster Anniversary show, available on DVD as The Strat Pack)

This is not really Brian May + David Gilmour, but it's related with Pink Floyd... Brian May covering "Have a Cigar" w/ the Foo Fighters ;)

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!