Forums > Queen - General Discussion > the colour of johns bass

forum rss feed
Author

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jul 08, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What was the actual colour of Johns natural finish bass. Is it honey finish or butterscotch finish. I always thought it was butterscotch but it doesnt look that yellow. Im asking because im going to buy a new bass and I want his colour.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 08, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John had two basses orginally

Both were in three colour Sunburst finish, in the late 70's he sanded them down to natural a finish.

Later in the mid 80's he got his favorite refinished again in Black with Gold hardware.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 08, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What kind of bass are you going to buy?

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 08, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm buying an american fender precision highway 1 model, which are the classic precision with the passive pickups. The current issues are 70's repica's, So it will basically have the same headstock John had.

The american delux series, are all active pickups now, i didnt want that, people say they have lost the true precision sound.

So Johns bass was purely the natural finish, no colour on it at all?

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
MercuryArts user not visiting Queenzone.com
MercuryArts
Bohemian: 839 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 08, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

liam wrote:

I'm buying an american fender precision highway 1 model, which are the classic precision with the passive pickups.

Great series of Fender guitars. I own a 2002 Highway 1 Strat. I have looked at the HWY1 Bass guitars, very nice.

"Take care of those you call your own"
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 08, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

liam wrote:

I'm buying an american fender precision highway 1 model, which are the classic precision with the passive pickups. The current issues are 70's repica's, So it will basically have the same headstock John had.

The american delux series, are all active pickups now, i didnt want that, people say they have lost the true precision sound.

So Johns bass was purely the natural finish, no colour on it at all?

Only after he sanded it down, it was originally three colour sunburst, see the old shots from early 70's, he sanded them down just prior to the Bo Rap video shoot I think

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"