Forums > Queen - General Discussion > THESIS

forum rss feed
Author

una999 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 598 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So i don't get this. Does this mean Brian is going to save the world..u see what difference is this PHD going to make to anyone's life? So fucking annoying, who cares it's bullshit. Can't believe universities waste money and resources (brian could have written a good song instead, the opportunity cost) on such shit. If this was so relevant to human civilisation wouldn't it have been completed by someone else 30 years ago...IF IT COULD WAIT 30 YEARS THAT SHOWS HOW IRRELEVANT IT IS

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4630 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It shows how irrelevant it is to YOU. It may not be that way to the hundreds, possibly thousands, of people doing the exact same course that Brian did. It gives them a benchmark to hit and then try and do better.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now since when has the pursuit of knowledge been a waste of time?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

So i don't get this. Does this mean Brian is going to save the world..u see what difference is this PHD going to make to anyone's life? So fucking annoying, who cares it's bullshit. Can't believe universities waste money and resources (brian could have written a good song instead, the opportunity cost) on such shit. If this was so relevant to human civilisation wouldn't it have been completed by someone else 30 years ago...IF IT COULD WAIT 30 YEARS THAT SHOWS HOW IRRELEVANT IT IS

Is what you say *supposed* not to make any sense? If so, you succeeded handsomely.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

A waste of your money. every year kids are put through college to learn about stuff they don't use in their real jobs. So say 4 years in a typical college course...how expensive is that. College fees, accommodation etc...pretty expensive. But that's not all. These students could be working and adding value to society. Instead they are unproductive and it takes taxes to fund them, so a double blow.

College is only needed for a select few courses like medicine, engineering etc...

Why spend 4 years doing a business degree, never use any of it, COMMON SENSE rules the world, probably why i am successful

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

to thomas quinn...Really. Why not answer the question besides purposely trying to be i dunno funny is it...maturity?

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why don't you stop being a completely insane fascist. You're anti-intellectualism is reminiscent of nazi-germany ("learning stuff they will never use in their jobs". I bet you like the phrase "when I hear the word 'culture' I reach for my pistol" too), and your constant whining about silly topics decisive evidence that you are a completely useless lifeform. If you can't stop spamming this forum, go hold your head under water until you stop kicking.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of my best friends used to ignore his work in Maths completely. "I'm just going to become a tradesman", he'd say.

Well - five years later, you know what he said to me? "All that maths and shit they said we'd always need...."

I chuckled in anticipation of how he'd finish the sentence.

"... I bloody should have been paying attention."

That blew me out. Seriously, education might seem like a waste of time to you because you live in a closet and eat through a straw, but to some people it's actually kind of important!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anti-intellectualism is how stupid people try to feel superior.

kingogre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

A waste of your money. every year kids are put through college to learn about stuff they don't use in their real jobs. So say 4 years in a typical college course...how expensive is that. College fees, accommodation etc...pretty expensive. But that's not all. These students could be working and adding value to society. Instead they are unproductive and it takes taxes to fund them, so a double blow.

College is only needed for a select few courses like medicine, engineering etc...

Why spend 4 years doing a business degree, never use any of it, COMMON SENSE rules the world, probably why i am successful

Science and the pursuit of knowledge is what makes the world move forward. To give people the tools and knowledge to think scientifically and extend our knowledge of the world and question our perceptions of it is one of the best things there is to spend money on.

On a social level it helps us make our society and the world a better place to live in in a multitude of ways and also makes us question the values and ideas we build it on so to make sure they have a basis in reality.

On a personal level it developes us as humans and helps us in our lives. To bring knowledge and the means to aquire to as many people as possible is also the best way to further the democracy of our countries. It helps people understand our society and how they can take part in it and make their voices heard. It also give us the means to question what happens and what people try to make us believe and instead form our own opinions of it. That knowledge is power is true in every sense of the word.

It can also be a way for someone to fulfill themselves. I imagine it has long been a dream for Brian to complete his thesis. Because he wants to see what conclusions can be drawn from it and/or to prove to himself that he has what it takes to complete a major thesis like this is. In the last case it is very fulfilling for anyone and gives them great confidence that they can use in their everyday life.

To go out in the world and with an open and critical mind see what it is really like is always superior to using unfounded "common sense".

bobo the chimp

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

Anti-intellectualism is how stupid people try to feel superior.

Well it sure came back to bite my friend in the arse.

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

una999 wrote:

Okay... Get your point... but what can YOU learn us?... besides judging on someones passion and mission for working his ass off to get a master degree.

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
Raf user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stop this noise!
Raf
Deity: 8274 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So what if I don't use most things in my actual job? I'm a curious person and I like to learn. Once I got a good job, as soon as I have free time I wanna use it on different courses in University, just for the sake of learning more interesting stuff.

Why don't you turn off your computer and go read a book?

We got the Cosmos rockin'!

We got the Universe rockin'!

We got the Cosmos rockin' to the mighty power of rock'n'roll!
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 08, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Raf wrote:

So what if I don't use most things in my actual job? I'm a curious person and I like to learn. Once I got a good job, as soon as I have free time I wanna use it on different courses in University, just for the sake of learning more interesting stuff.

Why don't you turn off your computer and go read a book?

Well said.
University rocks.

P-Staker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 08, 04:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This reminds me of the time mah kids wanted to go to the unaversitah. So ah told em, "kids, as my ol pa always said, what good's a unaversitah to ya if you can't eat paper?" Heh, ol' pa was a sharp un. Shame about him checking the barrel of Miss Kitty with his lighter.

Anyway, one night ah reckon sumthin funny in the kids room and ah find lil Billy Joe hidin under his blanket one of em books with em scribblings in it. Naturally, out comes Mr Tickler until lil Billy Joe's palms are striped like tomato zebra. Ah sure as hell beat the ideas of unaversitah out of his lil head, ah did.

And ah'm thinkin to mahself, shame ah wasn't Brian's pa. A few swings of ol Mr Tickler and Brian would go back to his tractor, no nonsense about astronomah and other bullcrap that brings no food on the table to a decent family!

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 08, 04:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't worry una, the service economy of the Repubic of Ireland (and increasingly the UK too) is ideally suited for under-educated drones. There'll always be a job waiting for you at McDonalds or selling tat to tourists.

Alternatively Una, some of your fellow countrymen keep Saint oliver Plunkett's head in a glass case. A bottle would be slightly more tacky, but who am I to pass judgement? (ahem) Maybe you're waiting for him to awake and tell you about the secrets of the universe? Personally, until that happens, I'd rather listen to the guy with the PhD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Plunkett

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 04 Aug 08, 08:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To summarize the more intelligent statements (i.e. everything except the posts by Una999):

Knowledge is not a means, it is an end.

Posted: 04 Aug 08, 08:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 04 Aug 08, 08:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First to Holly2003...i knew immediately before checking that you are from Northern Ireland. And yes I wasn't surprised when you say you're part of the UK (which is true). But it's sad because Northern Ireland is not wanted in the UK it contributes nothing to the UK economy, it costs money to support it. Is Northern Ireland not enough, why add the UK to it, like you don't have people from Scotland saying UK, never understand that. And at least our countrymen created a successful country we didn't rely on the UK

Now to everyone else that replied...i can't respond because it is so annoying. All i am going to say is this.

Alan Sugar said that kids should be learning how to get business skills in school rather than learning pointless stuff. He said everyone doesn't have to be successful, all you need is 25%, because the other 75% will be the clowns who do the work. To succeed in business you don't need a business degree. Now that's my point...i'm just picking business because there are so many pathetic courses out there...basically horses for courses. Most wealthy people don't have a formal education, but as i said above college is needed for medicine, engineering,

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 04 Aug 08, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, you distinguish between those "worthy" and "unworthy" of education. A social upper layer, which you graciously extend to 25% of the population, and a subservient 75%. So, I will stand by my nazi-allegations.