forum rss feed
Author

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Aug 08, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/08/08/georgia.ossetia/index.html

Some reports claim Russia has already joined the fight; the Kremlin has stated that they will respond to Georgia's military operations in South Ossetia. A large war in the Caucasus region, that has been brewing since the collapse of the Soviet Union, seems likely at this time.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 08 Aug 08, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Georgian president has declared that his country is at war with Russia.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 08, 19:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I HOPE IRAN WINS

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 01:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Let's bomb Russia!"

-Kenny Everett

:-P

***Marial-B*** user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***
Deity: 2285 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 03:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, I still don't understand ow much a war in east europe can affect the rest of the world, since it was more obvious a nuclear war.

Barcelona, October 22nd 2008
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 05:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When gas and oil will disappear in your town - you'll understand.

***Marial-B*** user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mrs. Meijer
***Marial-B***
Deity: 2285 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 05:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I should move back to Venezuela then xD...

Cheap oil xD

Barcelona, October 22nd 2008
AP-Racing user not visiting Queenzone.com
AP-Racing
Bohemian: 286 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i don't like, what BBC and CNN told about russian agression

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Poor people.
I really hope it ends soon

Poo, again

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 20:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fuck the Russia.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 20:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fuck fighting.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Poo, again

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, they're fighting over a stupid border dispute?

Meh.

I like it better when they fight over religious matters.

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 20:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can anybody explain to me the deal with this?

I understand that Georgia became independant of Russia, then Georgia wanted to own the other bit, and the other bit got pissed off and Russia sided with the other bit and bombs were thrown.

Is there any truth in that or did I make it up?

I wanted to be enligtened.

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 01:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freya is quietly judging you. wrote:

I understand that Georgia became independant of Russia, then Georgia wanted to own the other bit, and the other bit got pissed off and Russia sided with the other bit and bombs were thrown.

Georgia became independant of Soviet Union, not of Russia. Stop confusing Russia and USSR, Georgia was part of USSR as well as Russia with the same rights. South Ossetia became independat of USSR also and they didn't want to be a part of Georgia. This is how the war has started in the 90s. They both have asked for our help to make peace over there. We did. Now all agreements have been fucked by current Georgian government.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 06:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...not to mention Russian provocation by sending troops to the border region a number of days ago. Georgia has been trying to provoke a war in the hope of getting Western support (and the idiots in the American government have given them that), Russia has been trying to provoke a war to annex Abchazia and South Ossetia. Putin (and let there be no doubt that he is still in charge) is an overt Russian nationalist, who believes that all areas in which ethnic Russians live should be part of the Russian state.

In short: neither side is innocent here, so the Russian several posts up who is angry with remarks of "Russian aggression" is as misguided as the Georgian army chief.

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's a fair point in this, Cas, but Russian troops were there for the last 15 years - what kind of provocation do you mean? Georgian troops two days ago were there for 13 times bigger than Russians, though by international agreements there can't be any Georgian troops at all in this region.

Being Russian myself I can tell you for sure that your version about annexation of Abchazia and SO is funny, but nothing more. Even hardcore Russian nationalists would never dream about it. And by the way there are not so many ethnic Russians, there are many citizens of Russia, but they're Ossetians. Though we've used that all nations who live in Russia are Russians for Western minds...

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

There's a fair point in this, Cas, but Russian troops were there for the last 15 years - what kind of provocation do you mean? Georgian troops two days ago were there for 13 times bigger than Russians, though by international agreements there can't be any Georgian troops at all in this region.

Being Russian myself I can tell you for sure that your version about annexation of Abchazia and SO is funny, but nothing more. Even hardcore Russian nationalists would never dream about it. And by the way there are not so many ethnic Russians, there are many citizens of Russia, but they're Ossetians. Though we've used that all nations who live in Russia are Russians for Western minds...

International media report that South Ossetia's population is 70% ethnic Russian, with no specifications given for Abchazia, but for remarks that the situation there is similar. This may be wrong, but it is all the info I have. The provocation I refer to is the fact that over the last 15 days, Russian military activity around the Georgian border has dramatically increased. Granted, that is no immediate cause for a war, but I can imagine how it would be intimidating for a country struggling with a separatist region.

One thing that I find grossly unacceptable, however, is the deliberate targeting of CIVILIANS by Russian military. Airstrikes far outside South Ossetia have been reported, and they have predominantly been against civilian targets. I would just like to point out that this is a war crime.

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 07:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"International media report that South Ossetia's population is 70% ethnic Russian, with no specifications given for Abchazia, but for remarks that the situation there is similar. This may be wrong, but it is all the info I have."

This is wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Ossetia#Demographics << this is more right. Ossetians have nothing to with Russians, Slavs etc. As you may see Russians were there usually for about 2% of whole population.

"One thing that I find grossly unacceptable, however, is the deliberate targeting of CIVILIANS by Russian military. Airstrikes far outside South Ossetia have been reported, and they have predominantly been against civilian targets."

This is wrong too. Well, as you understand I can't be objective here for 100%, but over 2000 Ossetians were killed by Georgian troops, who was killed by Russian troops - I don't know. Neither I don't know what was bombed-out in Georgia by our army, though it's true that there have already been some airstikes outside SO.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have already stated that the Georgian attack on Ossetia was wrong and illegal; thus, I do not condone their use of force there. However, I am now pointing to Russian military activity OUTSIDE the combat zone. Using military force against civilian targets is a war crime; using military force against regions not being contested (such as: the rest of Georgia) is also a war crime, not to mention a serious provocation.

Recent developments (see: Reuters, CNN, BBC etc.):

* Ukraine threatens to deny Russian navy access to Sebastopol
* Georgia claims it has withdrawn its troops from South Ossetia
* Russia denies this, says it will push on into western Georgia.

EDIT: and now QZ's banner adds ask me, at the top of the page, to date Russian girls, and at the bottom of the page, to date Ukrainian girls XD

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 07:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am not well informed but isn't it true that Georgia applied for NATO membership which Russia regards as a provocation? Who wants to prove what to whom in the current war is beyond me but my gut feeling tells me that the NATO should stay away from former Soviet Union states and give them the chance to build up a normal peaceful neighbour relationship. I am sure there are many chances to have economical and cultural relationships between former Soviet Union states and the rest of the world without Georgia being in the NATO and frightening their neighbours.

Remembering the second Gulf war (1991) when Iraq invaded Kuweit the coalition bombed Bagdad, they did not care if they killed civilians. When you start a war it can easily happen that your own people are killed just as cruelly as your own military killed other people.

I do not want any google ads here.