Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > DVD-Audio - a dead format?

forum rss feed
Author

agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is DVD-Audio a dead format - and will we see any more Queen albums released in this format?

I assumed it was, but dvd players are still being released that can play DVD-audio (as well as SACD) e.g. Pioneer AV600, Oppo 83 etc

Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DVD players with DVD-A or SACD compatibility will be released as long as any DVD players are released, that's not a problem.

The problem with DVD-A regarding Queen material is Brian May.
He doesn't have the time (and interest) to personally oversee the mixing he would want to, so the only products we can expect in the future are re-re-re-re-re-releases of A Night At The Opera and The Game.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 08, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed and Q+PR stuff.

Seriously, if Paul sticks around for a few years (which isn't bad at all) all Queen material with Freddie will stay in the shadows.

So, it's a bit of a dilemma...

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Adrianats user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 01:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Which is a real shame huh??? Since Freddie's stuff is far better than this 1/2 Queen we've got nowadays...

I just wonder why they insist not to release a 70's show...Freddie was really marvellous at this time.

Adriana Yuri
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope it's not a dead format.
I love surround stuff to the degree that I've done my own stereo upmixes.

I notice that the new album is coming out as a
CD/DVD set. I hope that means a dts DVD of the album rather than it's been repackaged with ROTC.

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's actually repackaged with an edited version of Super Live In Japan.
Haven't you seen the other topics?

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 05:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DVD-Audio was a dead format 5 minutes after its invention

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Make that five minutes before. I still cannot believe how anyone could've been so stupid as to come up with this format.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

pittrek wrote:

Make that five minutes before. I still cannot believe how anyone could've been so stupid as to come up with this format.

Surely it's a better format than say... A USB memory stick with mp3 files?

Rami user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 918 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is so bad about DVD-Audio?

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

Don't tell me you're one of those people who doesn't see the point in surround sound and the ability to hear instruments and backing vocals that are normally hidden under the top layers of Lead Vocals and Lead Guitar?

Maybe I've heard the albums for far too many years that hearing them in different ways is great.

Do you understand the point of hearing a demo of a well known song? For me it's like that. Surround sound allows me to hear well known songs in a different form.

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero wrote:

It's actually repackaged with an edited version of Super Live In Japan.
Haven't you seen the other topics?

Not at the time I wrote the post.
Since then my views have been aired!

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rami wrote:

Nothing bad.
Just useless. It's a format for a couple of audiophiles with a great equipment and a lot of time for listening to it.
It's the same problem as the LPs - much better sound then a CD, but less practical.
Don't forget that now most people today listen these days to music in portable mp3 players or cell phones

kingogre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 08, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Rami wrote:

Nothing bad.
Just useless. It's a format for a couple of audiophiles with a great equipment and a lot of time for listening to it.
It's the same problem as the LPs - much better sound then a CD, but less practical.
Don't forget that now most people today listen these days to music in portable mp3 players or cell phones

Youre absolutely right. Commercially the format was indeed dead within five minutes. Doubt there will be any big reissue series of albums in the near future or at least until the music industry stabilizes.

Posted: 11 Aug 08, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kingogre wrote:

pittrek wrote:

Rami wrote:

Nothing bad.

Youre absolutely right. Commercially the format was indeed dead within five minutes. Doubt there will be any big reissue series of albums in the near future or at least until the music industry stabilizes.

Don't know about DVD-A, but Genesis was more than happy to release two thirds of their back catalogue in SACD last year, and the final installment is due this year.

It's not a question of surround sound having its merits... It's a question of whether or not there is a big enough profit to be made, and that's what QP are interested more than anything.

kingogre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 08, 05:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero wrote:

It's not a question of surround sound having its merits... It's a question of whether or not there is a big enough profit to be made, and that's what QP are interested more than anything.

Just as for every other record company since the record was invented.

paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 659 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 08, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

Indeed and Q+PR stuff.

Seriously, if Paul sticks around for a few years (which isn't bad at all) all Queen material with Freddie will stay in the shadows.

you are deluding yourself if you think that Paul Rogers and Kween will ever overshadow anything Freddie did with the band.

Don't shun it!

Posted: 11 Aug 08, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kingogre wrote:

Tero wrote:

Just as for every other record company since the record was invented.

That's right, every company thinks about the profits.
Yet some companies have found it to be profitable to release these surround albums.
Why do you think that is?

Is it because Queen would sell less copies than Genesis, or is it because QP would want a BIGGER profit than Genesis?
ยจ

I know you like to defend Queen as much as I like to question their motives, but you have to look at it with some objectivity:

Two major bands who own the rights to their material. An equally long career with an equal amount of previous re-issues, and neither is very fashionable at the moment... Yet one of them thinks it's a good idea to release surround albums and archive material.
It really makes you wonder, doesn't it?

QueenSite user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1191 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 08, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think there's time for DVD audio releases. IMO, new stuff + archive box set must come first.

http://utenti.lycos.it/queensite02

Please visit my site devoted to Queen! Lots of rare pix and memorabilia featured!
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 08, 07:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

paulsmith2001 wrote:

Rick wrote:

Indeed and Q+PR stuff.

you are deluding yourself if you think that Paul Rogers and Kween will ever overshadow anything Freddie did with the band.

Well I can tell your I prefer Queen with Freddie too. That's where it all started. I love to see old shows being released. On the other hand, it's nice to see brand new material too. Paul is a great singer and a perfect vocalist for nowadays Queen. And being able to the see guys live again is a nice bonus.

As I stated before: dilemma

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."