Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Hammersmith 26/12/1979 on DVD: 10 reasons why it should happen

forum rss feed
Author

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1)Freddie is in brilliant voice! He sings with incredible range and passion. He deserves a live product with him in this fantastic shape.
2)It's the last Queen show of the seventies, after this there show would never be the same(last performances of Spread your wings, Don't stop me now, if you can't beat them and '39)
3)last show from Freddie without a moustache:-)
4)Freddie on superman's shoulders during WWRY is fantastic to see, great promotional tool
5)One of the very best Queen performances
6)The best filmed Queen show,this is how many fans think about this show
7)Unique atmosphere and great to hear how the audience keep singing 'Crazy little thing' after the songs has ended
8)Brian plays a bit of Silent night during his solo
9)Roger sings an amazing version of I'm in love with my car
10)This release would show the world that Queen could not only do great shows but also be equally effective in front of a small audience.

Reasons to not release it:

1)And the missing multitracks is not a reason to not release it:-) Thin Lizzy released a dvd and the multitrack audio was missing too, so it's possible(they even made a surround mix). If lizzy can do it, Queen certainly can.

on my way up
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's why it won't happen:

Jim Beach doesn't want "to flood the market".

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, QP wants to release it, but they haven't got any halfway decent audio to go with their video (they only have a stereo downmix on reel-to-reel, I was told, and are looking for the multitrack, which was lost or stolen).

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

Actually, QP wants to release it, but they haven't got any halfway decent audio to go with their video (they only have a stereo downmix on reel-to-reel, I was told, and are looking for the multitrack, which was lost or stolen).
Is it really impossible to release it with decent sound then?

And do they have any hope to find it? Do they have any clue about where the multitrack is?
It's truly a pity such a good show is not available for a wide public. It would certainly help us fans who claim Queen is an incredible live band. Now Queen has no 'How the west was won'like Zeppelin or 'Live at Leeds' like the Who. They should search the archive for something like that, something that could be regarded as the ultimate live release.

on my way up
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's all bullshit. If they don't think they can get away with releasing Hammersmith on it's own because of the missing tapes,
they should just do what Led Zeppelin did. Give us lots of stuff; that way, having slightly bodge audio on one gig will be quite forgivable.

Does it really matter how good the sound is, either way? Has anyone ever listened to the Live Aid DVD?
True - that's less a case of bad audio quality and more a case of the FUCKING 80'S RUINING EVERYTHING......

I knowingly spent heaps of money on the Beatles Anthology, and last time I checked most of the live material on there was pretty scrappy sounding (with the exception of the rooftop gig).

Just release something, QP....... Anything. I've got money and I'm willing to give it to you.
You do WANT my money, right??

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paris 1979 would be a good option too.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Just release something, QP....... Anything. I've got money and I'm willing to give it to you.
You do WANT my money, right??

At least there are five different versions of the QPR album coming out for you to buy... Nice Touch!

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is what Greg had to say about this issue:

It's been said that Queen Productions intended to release Hammersmith 1979 but was (and still) not possible due to multitrack tapes lost.

GB REPLY: In an ideal world we would prefer to work from a multitrack, yes, because you get amazing sound and not least it can be mixed to surround sound. But that does NOT mean that we wont work on something that is merely stereo (not multitrack). Future releases cannot all be from multitrack.

So, if they really want they can release it and I think that with modern technology they can really do magic with the tapes they have( as Thin Lizzy did with their live release)

on my way up
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

Actually, QP wants to release it, but they haven't got any halfway decent audio to go with their video (they only have a stereo downmix on reel-to-reel)

Which most people would be perfectly happy with. The only issue here is that Brian May would want to remove any glitches, which isn't possible without access to the multitracks.
Discussion about such releases is fairly pointless anyway. The next DVDs will be GVH3 and Live In Rio - guaranteed. Queen Productions have zero interest in releasing anything of interest to Queen fans.

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Negative Creep wrote:

ThomasQuinn wrote:

Actually, QP wants to release it, but they haven't got any halfway decent audio to go with their video (they only have a stereo downmix on reel-to-reel)

Which most people would be perfectly happy with. The only issue here is that Brian May would want to remove any glitches, which isn't possible without access to the multitracks.
Discussion about such releases is fairly pointless anyway. The next DVDs will be GVH3 and Live In Rio - guaranteed. Queen Productions have zero interest in releasing anything of interest to Queen fans.
I think that even with the tapes they have they can remove glitches. That's just the point. Thin Lizzy made a surround mix out of stereo tapes. I read it in a Classic Rock issue. They wanted to release 'Live and dangerous' on DVD but couldn't find the mutitrack. The release was delayed because they were searching for the multitrack. When they realised they would not find it, they started working on the stereo audio and the reviewer says it sounds excellent(has anyone bought that one?). If the Lizzy sound engineers are capable of doing this, the Queen people should be able to do it too.

on my way up
kingogre user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They could release it, but it wont sound nearly as good as with the multitracks. QOFATB shows what can be done with remixing of such a source. Maybe they are justing waiting with a release until they have good enough tapes. Thin Lizzy and Queen really have different markets and therefore arent comparable.

From what Greg wrote a while back there actually seems to be very little unreleased live footage of good quality.
Hammy 75, 79, Paris 79 and Hyde Park 75 are contenders for release but there seems to be lacking sources at the moment.

Whats wrong with having a basic quality-control of what they release? And that flooding the market-argument is actually quite good, especially if there is very little that can be released.

Know Im asking for trouble ;), just wanted to write what an argument made from another angle could look like.

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kingogre wrote:

They could release it, but it wont sound nearly as good as with the multitracks. QOFATB shows what can be done with remixing of such a source. Maybe they are justing waiting with a release until they have good enough tapes. Thin Lizzy and Queen really have different markets and therefore arent comparable.

From what Greg wrote a while back there actually seems to be very little unreleased live footage of good quality.
Hammy 75, 79, Paris 79 and Hyde Park 75 are contenders for release but there seems to be lacking sources at the moment.

Whats wrong with having a basic quality-control of what they release? And that flooding the market-argument is actually quite good, especially if there is very little that can be released.

Know Im asking for trouble ;), just wanted to write what an argument made from another angle could look like.

Thin Lizzy and Queen have the same technology at their disposal. In that way they are perfectly comparable. My point is just that a great sounding release of this show IS possible, even with the existing tapes. It's just a matter of wanting it badly enough.

Don't believe everything Greg says;-) He can't tell much, that much is clear to me after having seen all his posts on this forum.
An audio only release from a very very good seventies gig would be as good to me as a DVD.
And they surely recorded themselves sometimes. Or did all these great SHA,ANATO,NOTW, ADATR, Crazy shows go totally unrecorded?

Quality control? I hope you agree with me that releasing the best stuff, from a musical point of view, is very important for a band. Led Zeppelin for example earned themselves a lot of respect and attention by releasing 'How the west was won'. That LA'72(and Long beach) show was very well known among Zeppelin fans as a highlight in their career(just like hammy among Queen fans).

Queen released Wembley instead of the better Budapest show. Is that quality control? Releasing the 2 shows from the same tour, isn't that flooding the market?

on my way up
AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Flooding the market" I think is usually refered to releasing too much in a short amount of time.

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes but I think Queen aims for a higher standard since they aim to sell to the general recordbuyer and not only to fans.

I fully agree with you that a audio-only 70s show is a very good release. I can understand however that it is not a top-priority for them.
TBH they did release a fair amount of bootleg recordings as a download for a bargain-prize only a couple of years ago.

Yes, I agree aswell. However it is also about the quality of the product. Wembley was a special happening so I can understand why it was released even if I like you think that Budapest is much better.

I dont Queen neither cares nor need any more respect. I still agree with you though that a HTWWW-type of product would certainly be interesting. It depends on how much great material there is and like I said Im not sure there is that much. There is absolutely no guarantees that they recorded shows for own personal use until the Live Killers era. What exists is probably only radio and TV-broadcasts and basic recordings with simple technology, all of which is probably considered lacking in quality compared with most official releases today.

Raffy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Raffy
Bohemian: 444 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 20:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hammy '79 (with bonus dvd with Munchen, Madrid, Brussels tv specials) would be great!
Also the complete Rainbow 1974 concert would be great (with bonus performances from the March 1974 show on the same place) or Houston '77.
So c'mon Queen Production give us something very special: a great '70 concert!

EdFredrick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 228 posts

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They could just release the best DVD they could do right now-and should they ever find the multi-track tapes i'm sure they would have no problem releasing a new remasterd version.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 23:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero wrote:

At least there are five different versions of the QPR album coming out for you to buy... Nice Touch!

Well I wasn't sure about this but now I am; somebody must have delivered one too many nice touches to the back of your head.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp

Posted: 16 Aug 08, 23:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

If the Lizzy sound engineers are capable of doing this, the Queen people should be able to do it too.

Oh, there's no 'if' about it. They are capable. There's just something in the water at Queen Productions that has them all convinced that they must not (under any circumstances) do a good job.

Posted: 17 Aug 08, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kingogre wrote:

Yes but I think Queen aims for a higher standard since they aim to sell to the general recordbuyer and not only to fans.

I fully agree with you that a audio-only 70s show is a very good release. I can understand however that it is not a top-priority for them.
TBH they did release a fair amount of bootleg recordings as a download for a bargain-prize only a couple of years ago.

Yes, I agree aswell. However it is also about the quality of the product. Wembley was a special happening so I can understand why it was released even if I like you think that Budapest is much better.

I dont Queen neither cares nor need any more respect. I still agree with you though that a HTWWW-type of product would certainly be interesting. It depends on how much great material there is and like I said Im not sure there is that much. There is absolutely no guarantees that they recorded shows for own personal use until the Live Killers era. What exists is probably only radio and TV-broadcasts and basic recordings with simple technology, all of which is probably considered lacking in quality compared with most official releases today.
It's not a matter of possibilty, it's a matter of will. If QP want, they can make the most stunning BBC set ever. If QP want, they can make a stunning Led Zeppelin style DVD(usable bits from Earls court, houston, LIve Killers era and stuff like what exists from knebworth and other bits and pieces). And I'm really confident they can make a set with a few shows on audio only. Hendrix was a decade earlier than Queen and look what exists of him!!And the quality is not like Queen rock montreal but people(many people!!!)buy it.

I am a huge fan of the live band Queen and now I can only point other people to releases that are not entirely perfect(we're lucky we got thebowl and rock montreal). All releases have their amazing moments but something like Hammy could be truly IT!
Now many music fans see Wembley as THE Queen show. They release something and then try to sell it as the very best Queen show while in reality there are better shows, even from that tour!(in case of Wembley I prefer bot Budapest and Knebworth)
If I compare Wembley to Deep Purple's Made in japan or the Zeppelin set or Live at Leeds, I'd say these bands are better while in reality they just made a better choice of release(Page went through the archive for the best material possible, why doesn't QP do that?

on my way up

Posted: 17 Aug 08, 05:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I agree with you for the most part. Except for the Who and Purple, that kind of power couldnt even Queen muster.;)
But as I said Im not sure there is that much to be released. OFATB was really a somewhat sensational release in that it was a filmed show with all tapes in existence just waiting to be mixed. How many of these do you think there is?
When it comes to other releases, and especially older, they are bound to have to make do less-quality sources like TV-broadcasts etc. that are nearly always lacking in master-tapes and hence need a lot more work to be considered top-quality. I can understand that they first and foremost release such shows that they have good material and mastertapes from.

But just because there is a lot from other artists doesnt mean that there is an equal amount from Queen. Hendrix walked around with a guitar 24h a day and spent whole weeks in studios jamming with friends. He also had a manager who out of greed saved everything he could get his hands on. And TBH if youre basing this assumption on what has been stated by Experience Hendrix Ltd. you shoulnd take it to literally, they havent exactly been known to be trustworthy and it has been countered by his old friends, incl his girlfriend at the time of his death who says that she personally threw away the tapes he had at home after his death.
And you should also remember that what exists and what has been released is far from always top-notch commercial releases rather the bigger have nearly always been rereleases of older videos often far from perfect performance-wise.
And Jimi Hendrix releases are definitely a good example of material aiming for hard-core fans rather than the general record-buying public.