Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Confirmed Singles Box Set Release

forum rss feed
Author

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3030 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QOL has new news item saying that this is confirmed for 17th Nov release, with more details to follow soon.

Doesn't say which year though so that could be the catch!!

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's pretty funny Cmsdrums! With that said this IS major news...along with the new studo l.p. "The Cosmos Rocks" being released as well! Rock on!

Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good news, but I fear the price will be outrageous!

Im also mildly concerned that by having the B-sides on this release, while great news for those of us who want them in good quality, when an "archive" box set happens we may end up paying again for these tracks.
I would have been sure that B-sides were prime candidates to be the back bone of that box given they were at least finished ideas, and are still relatively "rare" in that only a limited number of people have official versions, and even then they'll be Vinyl.

Im kinda hoping that these tracks are all available separately, or perhaps as downloads - that way I can avoid paying for all the songs I already have at least twice in my collection!

Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You'd hope that any archive release would exclude any material previously released on CD. This would make it a stand-alone rarities set.

If they choose to issue a career retrospective set as a collection, then it's likely that there will be a mixture of well-known versions of songs alongside a smattering of rarities, a-la sets by The Who and Jefferson Airplane.

Tha *choice*, obviously would be the former, but should it just be sales and £ that matter, I'd expect to see the career retrospective issued. Which, I guess, this Singles Box is in itself.

Let's hope for the Hot Space 12" mixes, the well-known single-only B-sides and The Works 12", extended and instrumental versions. If these are complete and have been mixed and mastered well, then it'll be a set to rival the FM box.

Fingers crossed eh?

Benn
kohuept user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 552 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cwazy little thing wrote:

I would have been sure that B-sides were prime candidates to be the back bone of that box given they were at least finished ideas, and are still relatively "rare" in that only a limited number of people have official versions, and even then they'll be Vinyl.

Many people seem to forget that several of the B-Sides were included on the Hollywood Record re-releases. Songs like Mad the Swine, See What a Fool I've Been, Chinese Torture, and I Go Crazy aren't rare at all.

You just can't beat the reasonably priced mosquito repellant OFF.

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kohuept wrote:

Many people seem to forget that several of the B-Sides were included on the Hollywood Record re-releases. Songs like Mad the Swine, See What a Fool I've Been, Chinese Torture, and I Go Crazy aren't rare at all.

Ok, they've seen an official CD release of sorts - but that was US only. Am I, or anyone else in the UK/Rest of Europe/world, really expected to have paid for an import of an album I already have just for those tracks? Excluding Chinese Torture that is, as my Parlophone version of the Miracle does include that and Hang On In There, haha.

I refuse to pay for poor quality bootleg versions, and I wont buy imports of stuff I've already got, so as far as Im concerned a UK official release of most of these tracks on CD is a rare thing.

I've actually never heard Mad The Swine for that reason.

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kohuept wrote:

Ok, they've seen an official CD release of sorts - but that was US only. Am I, or anyone else in the UK/Rest of Europe/world, really expected to have paid for an import of an album I already have just for those tracks? Excluding Chinese Torture that is, as my Parlophone version of the Miracle does include that and Hang On In There, haha.

I refuse to pay for poor quality bootleg versions, and I wont buy imports of stuff I've already got, so as far as Im concerned a UK official release of most of these tracks on CD is a rare thing.

...err... it was on the Headlong cd-single...?

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jjeroen wrote:

kohuept wrote:

...err... it was on the Headlong cd-single...?

lol.
ooooooook, well maybe I should have done my research before that post. And if Id known that I might have tried ebaying the Headlong cd single a while back when I acquired a few singles.
BUT, the fact remains that some B-Sides havent seen an official UK cd release, and I was only 6 or 7 when Headlong went out - its long since been discontinued and only available second hand.

(funnily enough having glanced at ebay just now I could pick it up for like 2 quid including postage, but with a singles boxset on the way I dont know if I should! hehe)

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To my mind, tracks like Mad The Swine etc haven't had a properly mass-market release.

For example, the Headlong single would, likely, only have been bought by people into Queen at that time; the Hollywood remaster of Queen would only have been bought by US first-timers or die-hard completists.

In that sense, I'd certainly term it a rarity in the same way that I'd look at I Go Crazy, Stealin' or A Human Body; I've got multiple versions of them, but they're "un-heard" enough on a regular basis to warrant rarity value.

All subjective though.

Benn

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To my mind, tracks like Mad The Swine etc haven't had a properly mass-market release.

For example, the Headlong single would, likely, only have been bought by people into Queen at that time; the Hollywood remaster of Queen would only have been bought by US first-timers or die-hard completists.

In that sense, I'd certainly term it a rarity in the same way that I'd look at I Go Crazy, Stealin' or A Human Body; I've got multiple versions of them, but they're "un-heard" enough on a regular basis to warrant rarity value.

All subjective though.

Benn
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

confirmed

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I second that.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

regmarha user not visiting Queenzone.com
regmarha
Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Original songs:

Mad The Swine
See What a Fool I've Been
I Go Crazy
Soul Brother
Human Body
Thank God It's Christmas
Rock In Rio Blues
Chinese Torture
Stealin'
Hijack My Heart
Lost Opportunity
Queen Talks

Plus the extended, instrumental and remix versions. What else?

'The House of Parliament? Is it for sale? How many bedrooms? Do they have enough servants' quarters?'
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Am I, or anyone else in the UK/Rest of Europe/world, really expected to have paid for an import of an album I already have just for those tracks?

Yes.

I mean, I had to pay $20.99 plus tax for each CD back in 1988 and they didn't have any extra tracks!

Plus, Brian needs your money.

Besides, looks like I'll be paying upwards of $200 for a CD quality version of Human Body. They'd better not include Queen Talks. I've got a sampler already.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Hollywood Records didn't re-release all the albums with extra tracks until '91? They weren't signed to Hollywood until 1990.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

regmarha wrote:

Original songs:

Mad The Swine
See What a Fool I've Been
I Go Crazy
Soul Brother
Human Body
Thank God It's Christmas
Rock In Rio Blues
Chinese Torture
Stealin'
Hijack My Heart
Lost Opportunity
Queen Talks

Plus the extended, instrumental and remix versions. What else?

Was there not at least one live track from a 70's show included as a B-side at some point? I've got an awful memory for these sorts of things, but that rings a bell for some reason.
Someone care to correct/clarify?

djcamper user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Melancholy blues from Houston 77 was on something.

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Queen Talks" is REALLY good but I'm sure it won't be included on this box set as it is an interview that lasts for half an hour or so. I got my copy I think in 1993 or so from "The Queen Collection" box set released in late 1992 on Hollywood Records here in the U.S. of A.

regmarha user not visiting Queenzone.com
regmarha
Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 20:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AlexRocks wrote:

"Queen Talks" is REALLY good but I'm sure it won't be included on this box set as it is an interview that lasts for half an hour or so. I got my copy I think in 1993 or so from "The Queen Collection" box set released in late 1992 on Hollywood Records here in the U.S. of A.

The Queen Talks version I have on The Show Must Go On single is like 3 minutes and pretty funny.

'The House of Parliament? Is it for sale? How many bedrooms? Do they have enough servants' quarters?'
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 08, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

regmarha wrote:

AlexRocks wrote:

The Queen Talks version I have on The Show Must Go On single is like 3 minutes and pretty funny.

That Queen Talks that you have is not one interview, it's like a few seconds from a ton of interviews.

The regular 'Queen Talks' was with Mike Reid in 1989, and Queen discussed The Miracle, their favorite songs and singers, and other stuff. Freddie said he'd like to do a duet with Aretha Franklin and said he could do it better than George Michael.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"