Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > How to Capture Brian May?s Queen Guitar Tone

forum rss feed
Author

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 08, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Check this out and then put that plastic pedal up on ebay.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/how-to-capture-brian-mays/

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 08, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Plastic pedal eh? Try knocking your head against it...

There's no accounting for taste obviously, but I'm very happy with the tones it produces. It's a bit fickle to use live, but has given me some excellent results on (non-Queen) studio recordings.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 08, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fireplace wrote:

Plastic pedal eh? Try knocking your head against it...

Actually, open it up. You'll see.

Or better yet, use it on the road. You'll see.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 08, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes.
I'll be sure to take an iMac to all of my gigs in future.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 08, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Capturing BM's guitar sound?
I suggest a cage-trap with a piece of cheese inside; it's well known to like a bit of cheddar.

Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock
AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 08, 22:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All you need is the Digitech pedal and a Vox Pathfinder amp to do it nicely. If you want the real thing you have to get an AC 30 whether you use Fryer Treble Booster or the Digitech with it. These offbrand attempts tend to make a similar noise that is familiar at best, but never within that specific exactness of Red Special magic.

The technology is pretty much here with that Digitech pedal, but give it another 5 to 10 years and every amp will have some sort of digital Queen setting with perfect results. They already have gone from 6 years ago's insult that they'd claim it's acceptable as a ghetto version comparison of Brian May. My friends new Line 6 sounds like my Burns Red Special is all he lacks from a good tone worthy of praise.

The Fryer pedals are authentic obviously since they are the real deal, but they overload the Pathfinder amps to noisy distortion so the only option is to make your neighbors 4 houses down angry by the loudness it takes. The Digitech dos well with the low volume Pathfinder set up and it also controls the AC 30 to loud enough levels to keep your ear's healthy and pleased by the sound's epic shape holding on without the deaf threat.

www.bigotonline.com.ar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 08, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, but using the Digitech on a Vox amp is like... having me playing on the A Night At The Opera album.

http://www.blogdequeen.com - South American Tour 2008 info. - Todo sobre Queen en Sudamérica.
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 08, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And don't forget to cut off Brian's fingers and keep them in a little box to whip out every time you need them