Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > At least Brian admitted he's a hypocrite ;-)

forum rss feed
Author

Mack2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mack2008
Bohemian: 111 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We all called it months ago when Brian was ranting about those big electronic billboards he hates so much.

We all knew the new Queen album would be advertised on those very same devices.

He's owned up on his soapbox admitting that he was outvoted on this one. At least he put his hand up to this one - maybe now he realizes that money is money and they must do all they can to make this album a success. Which by the sounds of things so far - it will be!!

Roll on Sept 15th.

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He didn't really, though, did he. He said that he was "outvoted"........

Still, the guy's an idiot when it comes to these little rants on his soapbox. After all, how many times *in the past* have Queen billboards been posted around the world and earnt BHM a substantial number of reddies? Was he complaining then?

Benn
Jeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*grins and lights a fag*

Roger AAAAAHHHH!
Mack2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mack2008
Bohemian: 111 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn
You're right! We all remember the massive marketing campaign for The Works and Kind Of Magic. I'm sure this album won't be any less heavily marketed.

I think Brian has gotten lost in an idealistic view of the world as his golden years have descended upon him.

Oh well - as long as he's happy I suppose :-)

Lets hope there won't be any rants from him about the new album once its out there!

Anyone know if they are doing a video for the C-Lebrity single?

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They're using the Al Murray performance as a promo tool.

Benn
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The biggest surprise is that Brian CAN be outvoted on such matters - I'd have thought he had a veto.

Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The cynic in me says he COULD veto it if he wanted to, but decided he would rather go for the commercial gain instead...

Either that, or his bandmates are really inconsiderate pricks. :P

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

The biggest surprise is that Brian CAN be outvoted on such matters - I'd have thought he had a veto.

Agreed.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
regmarha user not visiting Queenzone.com
regmarha
Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he is very decent to post this. The toughest thing is always to admit one's failure publicly. And this time it's clearly a failure for his idealism. The silliest you can do is be cynical and hurt any man in such a case. But of course, that's what fan's are for... aren't they.

'The House of Parliament? Is it for sale? How many bedrooms? Do they have enough servants' quarters?'
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agree...

Well done Brian.

Queen rocks!
StoneColdClassicQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
I need a haircut.
StoneColdClassicQueen
Bohemian: 775 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mack2008 wrote:

We all called it months ago when Brian was ranting about those big electronic billboards he hates so much.

We all knew the new Queen album would be advertised on those very same devices.

He's owned up on his soapbox admitting that he was outvoted on this one. At least he put his hand up to this one - maybe now he realizes that money is money and they must do all they can to make this album a success. Which by the sounds of things so far - it will be!!

Roll on Sept 15th.

XDDDDD I laughed when I saw this! Ah, Bri....
Good thing we don't have those electronic billboards floating around here. Can't wait for the new album! No really, I can't wait until OCTOBER FREAKIN 28TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"When you make love to someone, use a condom."-Brian May

Paul Rodgers is Chuck Norris.
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cofcofimportcofcof

that´s what I gonna do.

Queen rocks!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fuck you people! I say ; the best promotion tool would be BRIAN MAY'S FACE, projected onto the moon.

That's it, right now. Screw electronic billboards; BRIAN MAY'S FACE. THE MOON.

Man I'm excited already.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Evil Brian May user not visiting Queenzone.com
Evil Brian May
Rocker: 19 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 08, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Me? A hypocrite? Never!

Cheers from Hell!
Evil Bri

Fuck a damn badger!
Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 08, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

regmarha wrote:

I think he is very decent to post this. The toughest thing is always to admit one's failure publicly. And this time it's clearly a failure for his idealism.

One could also approach this from an objective point of view, and wonder just how strong his conviction were to begin with.

If it is indeed a strong personal idealism, you would expect his friend and bandmate from the past 40 years to feel a bit sympathetic about it when Brian tells his opinion... Right?

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 08, 01:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it saddens me to know this place is supposed to be filled with supporting fans, fuck!
Brian, if u read this, u rock man!, dont listen to these idiots

:)

Posted: 03 Sep 08, 05:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero.

Absolutely right. If it REALLY bothered Brian, it wouldn't happen, but the machine determines the promotional tools used because they employ marketing professionals who will understand the impact of using a billboard much more so than pandering to one of Brian's whims. If Roger and Paul were bothered about Brian's conviction, then they would have oulled their permission to use their images.

Adolfo.

You're just typical of the type of Queen fan I so despise. Loving the band for everything and anything they do, regardless of how crass it may be or how destructive to the legacy it is. Or, in fact, how ridiculous the members of the band make themselves to be. Be more objective.

Brian's soapbox is laughable for such a seemingly intelligent guy. Roger has the sense to stay away from these types of public pronouncements which could, potentially, damage him.

Benn
gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 08, 05:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn, you might be missing a point there: "fan" is just short for "fanatic", and that's someone you can NOT reasonably ask objectivity and critical thinking of.

Adolfo, you might be missing a point there: this place is filled with "supporters", and that's someone you MUST reasonably expect objectivity and critical thinking of.

IMVHO

--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)
regmarha user not visiting Queenzone.com
regmarha
Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 08, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero wrote:

regmarha wrote:

I think he is very decent to post this. The toughest thing is always to admit one's failure publicly. And this time it's clearly a failure for his idealism.

One could also approach this from an objective point of view, and wonder just how strong his conviction were to begin with.

If it is indeed a strong personal idealism, you would expect his friend and bandmate from the past 40 years to feel a bit sympathetic about it when Brian tells his opinion... Right?

You're right, Roger is surely there for support. But, you know, you can't always get what you want - no one can always be right and win every argument and situation. No one, not even a band leader, not even a president of a statet. Brian feels strongly about many things in his life and music, and probably at most points he gets things done his way. In this case it's different, he lost for whatever reasons. I mean that's life, admitting that is a strenght, not a weakness.

Benn's saying 'the guy is an idiot' is not really a supportive thing. It's not even respectful.

'The House of Parliament? Is it for sale? How many bedrooms? Do they have enough servants' quarters?'

Posted: 03 Sep 08, 07:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

regmarha,

--probably at most points he gets things done his way. In this case it's different, he lost for whatever reasons. I mean that's life, admitting that is a strenght, not a weakness.

But the fact that he was openly so horribly appauled at the use of billboard advertising - IN THE FIRST PLACE - was highly hypocritical, considering that Queen had used this medium as a method of advertising / promotion throughout their career. For Brian to then launch in to a tirade anti to it on his PUBLIC soapbox and to then admid that he's a hypocrite leads me to thinking that he does nothing more than shoot from the hip when he posts.

Transfer this kind of thinking to a politician......would you have a high regard for him / her? I certainly wouldn't and, as such, I have little respect for Brian in this regard.

He doesn't deserve it. He is being an idiot ON THIS TOPIC; that's not to say that, over all he is or that I think he is an idiot. Clearly he's not in his fields of expertise (guitar playing, songwriting, astrology, stereo photography etc), but on MANY of the issues he raises within his soapbox, he opens himself up for all of us to see that he's the incredibly sheltered person he has been throughout his career.

By NOT allowing nay-sayers to get to onear him, Brian has no method of determining what may or may not be right on a great number of topics.

The best thing he could do would be to keep clear of ANYTHING that is likely to expose him; he's too far down the line to be able to drag this back.

Benn