Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Snow Producciones

forum rss feed
Author

deltazulu user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 195 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 08, 07:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is it just me? Or are all the Snow Producciones titles poor quality...

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1422 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 08, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They tend to use poor masters. ...And, sometimes, sooo lossy (VCD, mp3, etc). Moreover, they like to crop the image to widescreen and upmix everything to 5.1 as if it was really an improvement. Sometimes, they choose absurd audio encoding options, e.g: they unwrapped an original mono source to 'suround' (sic) and put it in the DVD as Dolby Digital 5.1 and also DD 2.0 while the original 1.0 in PCM would have been a much better option and also would have taken a lot lesser bitstream. Definetely, no 'tech people'.

They make nice menues though!

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 08, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone own the Hyde Park 1976 remastered & widescreen version? I've seen a clip on Youtube and it looks/sounds great, but I don't want to be fooled by just a sample.

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti4ubUXY-lQ&fmt=18

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

victor fleitas user not visiting Queenzone.com
victor fleitas
Bohemian: 209 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 08, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can download more samples from here... http://www.queen.snowproducciones.com.ar/multimedia.html

Anyway... its better than nothing...

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 08, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some of his DVDs are great, some of them aren't

earwig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 08, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, they're mostly brilliant.
My Houston 77 DVD looks great but has been 'filmized' which I hate as it was obviously shot on video.
I think Hernan deserves a lot of thanks and respect actually.

Dead Daddy Long-legs. I'm still drinking it.

Posted: 06 Sep 08, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

all i know is the couple of titles i have from sp have not been great. i'd love to see a better copy of hyde park... and i'd really like to know what the best copy of rainbow is. the sp version can't be the best one out there. it just can't be. is there no comprehensive list comparing all the various options? the zep crowd has been doing that for years... i'm shocked that there's no guide to the best copies of queen shows.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 08, 00:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

deltazulu wrote:

all i know is the couple of titles i have from sp have not been great. i'd love to see a better copy of hyde park... and i'd really like to know what the best copy of rainbow is. the sp version can't be the best one out there. it just can't be. is there no comprehensive list comparing all the various options? the zep crowd has been doing that for years... i'm shocked that there's no guide to the best copies of queen shows.

Have a look at my website, www.queenlive.ca. I've got a list for audio, but the video list is not nearly as detailed simply because most people haven't kept track of the lineage of their videos. In fact, many of the circulating DVDs are lossy, so there's often no point in tracing the lineage anyway. 'Tis a shame.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 07 Sep 08, 05:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

deltazulu wrote:

Which titles do you have?

Posted: 07 Sep 08, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's the early stuff i'm most interested in making sure i own the best available copies.
i finally have the room 101 release of hammersmith and i think it's great.
but my sp copy of rainbow is very blocky.
i have this copy of hyde park

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=1062740

Posted: 07 Sep 08, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes I have that version as well. I think it's the best version available so far?

Posted: 08 Sep 08, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

if you mean that version of hyde park... it's still pretty rough....

Rick wrote:

Yes I have that version as well. I think it's the best version available so far?

Posted: 08 Sep 08, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

True, especially sound-wise.

tonimau user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 91 posts

Posted: 08 Sep 08, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From what I´ve seen in Youtube, Snow Producciones version of Hyde Park seems to have the best sound. It´s a shame it isn´t shared here, I don´t have it myself.

Posted: 08 Sep 08, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

how does the sp pic compare with the Hyde Park version that's shared here?

tonimau wrote:

From what I´ve seen in Youtube, Snow Producciones version of Hyde Park seems to have the best sound. It´s a shame it isn´t shared here, I don´t have it myself.

tonimau user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 91 posts

Posted: 08 Sep 08, 20:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

deltazulu wrote:

how does the sp pic compare with the Hyde Park version that's shared here?

tonimau wrote:

I really can´t say if the picture quality is better. What I really noticed is that the EQ sounds better and the drums are better in Snow´s version.

I have a QTV version , I don´t know if it was the one shared here. It has 320kb/s sound quality, image is ok but I really don´t have any real means of comparison.

Search for the Liar footage on youtube from Snowproducciones and make your judgement, knowing Youtube always screws up the sound. See it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti4ubUXY-lQ&fmt=18

Snow´s version is 16:9 so parts of the screen have been cut. That is why there is no clock or QTV symbol. I think it sounds just a little bit better than my QTV DVD, but it may be my personal opinion.

My QTV has a lot more hiss.

Posted: 09 Sep 08, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's pretty good...although it's tough to compare something off youtube with something on my dvd player. i prefer having logos and timecodes to cropping... although the pic looks about the same... i guess it was hard to make it any worse!

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 09 Sep 08, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"In fact, many of the circulating DVDs are lossy, so there's often no point in tracing the lineage anyway"

DVDs are lossy by definition, Bob. VOB files are the same as mpg2 for DVD, i.e. compressed files.

I do not want any google ads here.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 08, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

"In fact, many of the circulating DVDs are lossy, so there's often no point in tracing the lineage anyway"

DVDs are lossy by definition, Bob. VOB files are the same as mpg2 for DVD, i.e. compressed files.

Of course, it depends on how far you go with the definition.

But I'm talking about svcd to dvd... rudimentary things like that.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 08, 06:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You find such SVCDs to DVDs mostly on compilations but it has nothing to do with lineage. On your website you have concert videos labelled "audience video master" to DVD but in most cases we do not know the owner of the master. In the 1980s the concerts were probably filmed with a CVC recorder, VHS C video camera or even Video 8 from 1985 on but the tapes were only 30 mins and 60 mins respectively, so the complete "original" was already a copy and most digital copies we have are not from the "original copy" but at least one generation below. That's not the fault of the original owner or the fault of the people who swapped because they had to copy their tapes and they lost quality through copying, nobody could help that. As far as I know there is only one Queen concert from the 80s available on DVD that comes from the original copy and that is Sydney 1985. But even in the case of Sydney a copy wrongly labelled as "master copy" is circulating. All other known concerts come from gen. copies.

If someone has other info, please post it:) I would love to see a master of a Queen concert from the 1980s.

I do not want any google ads here.